8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aFaces-Manual_19_Player_Unit1_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

Hi pinballman3
Dr_of Style said it: "Look at the EOS-Switch". OK, Look in the manual "Cabaret": http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/415/Williams_1968_Cabaret_Instruction_Manual_no_schematics.pdf -> page-15. Almost every Score-Reel has this End-Of-Stroke-Switch - see it standing upright ? The plunger - at end of its travel will OPEN this switch -> the XXX-Point-RELAY looses connection and lets go.
So we suspect a faulty-bent blade on this EOS-Switch "Player-1-Score-Reel-10'000s-Points" - NOT OPENING ...
And if the fault also is on Player-2, -3, -4: ALSO look at the 10'000s Score-Reels of player-2, -3, -4.
Greetings Rolf

#7 8 years ago

Hi pinballman3
do You have a schema ? do You have a manual ? Please write about.

The ball on the playfield hits a target worth 10'000 points -> the target closes a switch -> current can flow -> the 10'000 point RELAY gets active -> it closes switches -> one switch closing should let current flow to the 10'000s-Score-Reel of WHICH player - THE PLAYER UNIT KNOWS WHICH PLAYER I PLAYING - through contacts on the Player-Unit the current is send to the approbiate Score-Reel. If a wire has broken-off somewhere in this way: The Coil on the score-drum does NOT fire - also: the coil can be shot / not working.

Look here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2449&picno=55536 -> lower left corner: the Player-Unit. Look at my JPG - it is from the Manual of "Sonic: Faces": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=806 -> instruction-manual-page-19. This Unit is shown "player-1 is playing". If the pin moves to 2nd player: The round bakelite plate will be stepped one step counterclockwise. I have drawn some "violet lines" - a connection.

Player-1 is playing -> ball hits a target -> 10'000 relay pulls -> through my "RED-Line" current flows to Player-1-10'000-Drum-Unit-Coil.

For safety reason: UNPLUG the 110 VAC Main-Cord.
Please look at the Player Unit: Are the wires soldered-on ? the encircled 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ? well actually: all wires should be soldered-on. Grab each wire and gently pull a bit -> REALLY soldered-on ?

The fault can be in many places - we start our search for the fault AT THE PLAYER UNIT. Please check the Player-Unit and report - maybe we are lucky - maybe we must look other places.

For testing Coils on Units / relay-coils:
Do You (already) have some Jumper-Wires witch Gator-Clips on the ends ?
A Test-Lite is also handy - in another "Topic" / "other problems" Steve Fury shows a wonderful "Test-Light for testing 24 Volt (Relays) Circuitry ((24 VOLT !!!),
Here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics post-12. In post-10 he writes about testing (I also made myself this handy tool).
Greetings Rolf

aFaces-Manual_19_Player_Unit1_(resized).jpgaFaces-Manual_19_Player_Unit1_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

Hi pinballman3
do You have a schema ? do You have a manual ? If You do not find the missing piece: We should have the schema - and the manual would be very helpful. We can guess "Player-Unit of Super Straight" is identical to "Player Unit Faces" - we could use the schema "Faces" - a big problem are "Wire-Colors""Super Straight <-> Faces".

Sonic pins are "clones" of Williams - the used Williams Parts. You could try to get a spare "Player Unit of a fairly modern Williams pin" - or maybe just the missing piece (asking in pinside).

For documentation -> here: http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html#/8/zoomed and http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html#/11/zoomed - no help.

A new topic with a picture "pieces of the Player Unit I have - can you help me getting a replacement part" - do You see on ...-page-8 / -11 the missing part -> maybe asking PBR ? (telling them the Part-Number)

If You cannot get the part: Mounting the two bakelite plates on a "spare Williams Unit" - a lot of work - but with schema and manual You can get the alignment.

No spare part AND no spare Wms-Unit: You can make your pin to be an "ONLY-SINGLE-Player-Game" You fix the two bakelite-plates and the Snowshoe-wipers in between tohether IN POSITION "First Player" - You always ONLY start a One-player-game.

Think of: Williams and Ballys have "Ball-Count-Unit BCU" and Player-Unit P-U". Lets say the pin is set for "3 balls per play".
The sequence of a 1-player-game is "P-U=1, BCU=1" -> "P-U=1, BCU=2" -> "P-U=1, BCU=3" -> Game-Over.

The Player-Unit ONLY steps forward in a multiplayer-game - example a two-player-game:
"P-U=1, BCU=1" -> "P-U=2, BCU=1" -> "P-U=1, BCU=2" -> "P-U=2, BCU=2" ... -> Game-Over.
So either a spare part or a spare unit or a "single-player-game".

In Switzerland / Germany its now 11:30 at night (23:30) - I go to sleep - I wonder what I read from You. Greetings Rolf

#14 8 years ago

Hi pinballman3
fine - no lost part. The title of this topic is "Bell-Coil" - is the problem "scoring 10'000 Points" solved ? If so: Please mark the topic as "solved" (and give a short explanation: The fault was ...). THEN start a new topic "Sonic Super Straight is always a 4-player-game" (((short description of the problem You actually have))). Think of: In the future somebody has a problem -> he does search the pinside-forums -> He'd like to read about THAT specific problem.

Yes, the Coin-Unit is resetted at start of a new game (Position-Zero means only ONE player wants to play the next game). The Coin-Unit will be stepped-up to "2" / "3" / "4" players want to play.

If the Coin-Unit does not work properly - if the Player-Unit does not work properly - if these two units have "problems in communication": We have problems as "always a four-player game" and such problems. Schema-Faces-area-D-6 shows the communication in between these two units.

Start a new topic and write a good description of what happens when You want to play a 1-player-game / ... 2-player-game / ...3 / ...4. Greetings Rolf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-straight-bell-coil?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.