• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Spin 1000 pt relay (resized).jpg
Super Spin 2nd player scores (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I noticed an issue on the Super Spin I'm fixing up when I started playing two-player games. The player 2 scoring is not working correctly. These are the things I noticed:

1) Rollovers at the top are worth 500 points, when the ball goes through them, player 2 is getting 5,500 points
2) Pop bumpers are supposed to score 100 points per hit, they are scoring 1,100 points per hit
3) Roto target is also over-scoring. If it's 200, player 2 gets 2,200

None of these issues happen with Player 1 - that is scoring fine both during single player game and also a two-player game.

Thanks in advance for the help - I'm stumped on this one.

Alberto

#2 3 years ago

Do the M/100 and L/1000 relays both fire when this happens? I suspect not since player 1 works properly. That would leave the reset paths as suspects:
Super Spin 2nd player scores (resized).jpgSuper Spin 2nd player scores (resized).jpg
The Runout switches are closed most of the time so if there were a short between the P4B and P4C switches on the Player Unit that might explain what you're seeing. If one of the score reels is 0 (e.g. 1000 or 300) do you see the problem? If not that would also point to the Player Unit since one of the Runout switches would be open in that case.

The P4B and P4C switches are on the 4th switch stack from the steel gear on the Player Unit, 2nd and 3rd switches from the bottom.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Check the switch stack on the 100 point score unit for the second player. The top-most switch in the stack is the carry (AKA 9th position) switch. It is supposed to close only at position 9 of the score unit, and should be open at all other reel positions.

The idea is that when the 100 point score unit goes from 9 to 0, the 1000 point score unit will also advance one position because the carry switch is closed.

If the carry switch is out of adjustment and is always closed, or the solder lugs for the switch are bent over and touching, you'll get the symptom you are describing because then the 100 point score unit will be doing a carry every time it steps.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

I looked at the L and M relays. When Player 1 is active, everything works well. When Player 2 is active, the L and M relays fire together every time.

I manually set player 2 to 16,890 points. Then I triggered a 10-pt score. I would expect the score reels to go to 16,900. Instead they went to 17,900.

Then I set player 2 to 19,200 points and hit the “300” on the right roto-target. This should add 300 points to the score. Instead it went to 22,500 (added 3,300). Hitting it again makes it go to 25,800 (added 3,300).

Always both L & M are firing together and only on Player 2.

I will check the switch stacks on the score units and the Player Unit tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the help.

#5 3 years ago

@TimMe's explanation is more likely. The suspect switch is in red here:
Super Spin 1000 pt relay (resized).jpgSuper Spin 1000 pt relay (resized).jpg
If this switch is stuck closed or shorted the L/1000 relay would fire every time the M/100 point relay fires for player 2. The opposite however would not be true. If player 2 can hit a 1000 point target and not have the M/100 point point relay fire that would confirm it.

#6 3 years ago

It was the runout switch on the Player 2 100s reel, thank you. It was gapped OK in the zero position but would should as soon as the reel went to “1”.

All set now, thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-spin-plyr-2-scoring-issue-100-amp-1000-point-relays-fire-together and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.