20181014_090857_resized (resized).jpg
20181014_090909_resized (resized).jpg
4B971AF6-5343-4EC9-A715-120CE0CD8094 (resized).jpeg
CF68B0C5-CED3-47E9-AA23-44C965F40DA6 (resized).jpeg
25553F1C-F251-4C02-9F6D-B97B09B107E3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20181007_092724.jpg
IMG_20181007_092706.jpg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SDM0.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I bought this Super Soccer from a family that had it for 40 years. They never once opened it up (the dirt layer is proof of this). So I can't get the lever in the door to open and release the lock bar. I pulled on it and tapped it with a hammer. It wont budge! What should I do?

soccer no open (resized).jpgsoccer no open (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

Dang. I cant even see where to spray WD40 with the playfield in the way. I am afraid to get WD all over the playfield and then still not be able to get the bar off and leave spray all over to damage things.

#5 5 years ago

I am still going to keep trying but wondering - instead of taking off the front of the cab - what about breaking the glass? Can you get in that way from top? I am guessing not otherwise they would have had people breaking the glass and pulling up the playfield to get money all the time, right? I only consider it because the glass is scratched up and needs to be replaced anyway.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ok, thinking on the fly... there are three plates on the underside of the pf, that help lock it to the bar area, if you can detach these then with the glass removed, remove the trim at the top of the pf. you should be able to pull up the front of the pf, pull it back enough to clear the lockdown bar and remove pf. with pf removed you can unscrew the receiver from cab...

Ok, I worked on it with WD40 today and did not budge. I am going to try the vice and mallet idea.
But does anyone see how this idea from pinhead52 can indeed work?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The last one I had to wrestle with must've taken me a couple hours to finally crack open. It was horribly rusted and corroded.

So you just kept tapping at it and finally it came loose?

#15 5 years ago

It's been a discouraging night with Super Soccer. I have drenched the bar over the top and underneath with WD40 and later PB Blaster. Banged on the lever with a hammer. Used the hammer teeth to pull on the lever with all my body weight. Nothing.

Quoted from wayner:

extension pipe against the vicegrips

I don't think I understand the vice idea. Any pictures?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I'd inspect a similar-era Gottlieb mechanism's operation

I have mostly Williams. But I actually have a 300 at another location that I am going to go check out to see what I can learn. It will be exactly the same as this one.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

ry pounding on the lockdown bar with a rubber mallet while someone else tries forcing the lever down.

That is a good idea.

1 week later
#27 5 years ago

Thank you all! So cool that you took the time to take pictures. I actually have a Gottlieb 300 - which is the same year and style. There are so few places to get WD-40 in. I am able to twist the spray straw to get it in that center hole above the lever but even then the lever is right behind the hole covering it up. Shooting lube under the lock bar has been tried (all over and right next to the pegs you show 3 inches away from the side in pictures) but the chance of much getting in the holes is low. That stupid bar runs right up against so much surface that I cant get to. I need to get someone to help bang or vibrate the lock bar while I work on the lever. But I am also not sure what I can attach to the handle to then hit it with the hammer. I tried a few things. You can actually hit it pretty good from inside the cab. Also I put the teeth of the hammer on the lever and pull it down - this can put my whole body weight on it. That lever is small and not sure what I can attach to it to help.

#28 5 years ago

I am getting so tempted to break the glass and do what was suggested above. You can get the playfield up and bypass the bar. Problem is that it doesn't give you a ton better access to the insides of the lockbar. I don't see anything you can unscrew to get in. But it would help me get the WD-40 in better and give me another angle to hit the lever. I can then almost hit it with a spike and a hammer and that direct angle would be much better than trying to get something on the lever and hit that.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I must have used vice grips at some point to grip the lever and used the mallet on the vice grips.

Do you happen to have pictures of how you put that together?

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I'll get you a pic of what it looks like

Appreciated

#36 5 years ago

I assume you guys mean Groovelock vice grips? I don't see how the other ones will clamp on so it sicks out of the coin door to hit with the hammer. The vice grips do not seem to have much to hit with the hammer. I mean this thing is stuck - won't the hammer break the vice grip before it frees anything?

BTW. I tried having someone bang on the lock bar while I put all my weight on the lever with the teeth of the hammer. Nothing.

vice (resized).jpgvice (resized).jpgvice2 (resized).jpgvice2 (resized).jpg
#37 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Clamp on Vise Grips and use leverage to pull it down.

I am not understanding this. Pull it down? I have almost my entire body weight pulling on it in the direction it is supposed to go with this hammer. How do I use vice grips to pull it down?

hammer (resized).jpghammer (resized).jpg
#41 5 years ago

So basically the vice grips that everyone is talking about wont work on this machine? I don't see how I am going to get anything on that handle to hit it.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

using the Hammer as a lever

Thanks. I am not using the hammer as a lever. I am simply pulling down on it. There is no way I can use the edge of the coin door opening to make a lever... that would simply damage the cabinet.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ok, thinking on the fly... there are three plates on the underside of the pf, that help lock it to the bar area, if you can detach these then with the glass removed, remove the trim at the top of the pf. you should be able to pull up the front of the pf, pull it back enough to clear the lockdown bar and remove pf. with pf removed you can unscrew the receiver from cab...

Does anyone see a flaw in this suggestion? Seems like it will work. There are three plates under the playfield I can unscrew. Will removing the trim at the top of the playfield help clear the playfield to come up? The bar on these is smaller with not as much overhang as Williams it seems.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Even with the glass off there is a bar overhang that wont allow pf to come up.

This person doesn't think so.

#51 5 years ago

I feel like I am getting suggestions from folks that have different games in mind. This is Gottlieb 1975.

4 years later
#73 1 year ago

Thanks for everyone's help. Update: the only solution was to drill out the lock bar from the top. It was rusted so solid that pulling on the handle only stripped the metal. The whole thing was ruined. As these lock barks are not easy to find so I asked tons of pinheads if there was any other way to get in and save the bar - drilling it out was the only answer. I ended up taking the unit and bar from another Gottlieb game and moving it to this one because this supper soccer is in very nice condition. Difficult decisions need to be made in pinball sometimes!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 39.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SDM0.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-soccer-lock-bar-stuck?tu=SDM0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.