(Topic ID: 84484)

Super Skill shot for Metallica is as easy as doing no flippers at all?

By Bond_Gadget_007

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Was watching Fourtraxer's video on YouTube with latest 1.5 code and noticed he just let the ball bounce off both flippers and go straight into the mystery scoop for a Super Skill shot 1Million pts. How stupid is that?

I don't blame him, but that means the SS shot is ruined if it's that easy. Hands-free skill shots are fine, but this is ridiculous!

#2 10 years ago

It definitely doesn't do that on my machine. Every machine is different

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It definitely doesn't do that on my machine. Every machine is different

Right. It isn't hard by any means, normally it hits *something*, but it's not always that easy.

#4 10 years ago

<<normally it hits *something*>>

Hitting "something" is okay, but the mystery scoop is like 1million and builds up to 1.5mill. Seems like that one shot should be disabled for skill shot only. So you guys cool with a no skill shot for so many points? By comparison, roll-over lanes are harder to hit than a no hands eject hole.

#5 10 years ago

Can someone just humor me who owns the machine and try long plunging 10 times to see if ball goes into eject hole each time without flipping? I suspect it's upwards of 8 times out of ten.

This is not trivial, because you get SS Shot points + Mystery 500K without doing anything. Cannot think of another game that gives so many points for doing nothing but plunging the ball.

Really appreciate it, as I'm on fence between ACDC and Met

#6 10 years ago

It works maybe 1 out of 4 times on mine?

#7 10 years ago

Never goes in there off the plunge on mine.

#8 10 years ago

I have been doing this shot for several months now. It kind of goes in cycles. I don't believe I have ever had more than 8/10 go in. Generally around 6/10. Usually a medium to light shot gets best results (when it barely gets there). The fast/hard shots are the least successful for me (3/10).

#9 10 years ago

It works ok on mine (maybe 50/50?), but the points aren't THAT great assuming you have even an ok game and having it miss wastes a ton of ball save time as the ball usually ends up in the slings on mine if it doesn't go in the scoop. Adding 1.5 million to a 100+ million score is relatively meaningless in most cases. Using the Super Skill getting hurry ups lit, or 2X lit is worth a heck of a lot more in terms of progress and points.

#10 10 years ago

Considering a what a joke the standard skill shot on AC/DC is (so glad Star Trek lost that dumb lane skill shot) I don't really see how you could make skill shots be the deciding factor.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, james. Glad it's not 100% but player will probably still plunge this way each time because if it misses, there is plenty of time to hit another SS Shot.

Some games disable skill shot after ball hits another switch, but I think Met is more of a timer thing and you can still hit skill shot even after hitting other switches as long as you do it under like 7 seconds. Ah well, this is the only problem I can find with Met so it could be worse!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

This is not trivial, because you get SS Shot points + Mystery 500K without doing anything. Cannot think of another game that gives so many points for doing nothing but plunging the ball.

Ripley's awards 1M just for a regular skill shot and it's a much lower scoring game. With the addition of the CIU modes, scoring has increased significantly on MET. 1.5M per ball may sound like a lot, but it's not really in the big picture.

Even without the increase in scoring, a SS shot to one of the main shots (ramps, Sparky, drops), can be more valuable in the long run as it shortens the amount of shots need to start a potentially far more valuable CIU mode.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, james. Glad it's not 100% but player will probably still plunge this way each time because if it misses, there is plenty of time to hit another SS Shot.
Some games disable skill shot after ball hits another switch, but I think Met is more of a timer thing and you can still hit skill shot even after hitting other switches as long as you do it under like 7 seconds. Ah well, this is the only problem I can find with Met so it could be worse!

With the Super Skill Shot having a random shot lit for S&D completion, I don't know why you would try to get the myster scoop any longer. I mean if you know the game and rules, that is what you should be going for, not mystery scoop. I wish it had a smidge longer grace period cuz I miss it by "that much" a lot.

#14 10 years ago

Good points. I was unaware of the S&D random shot lit thing. Hope it gives a clue as to which shot is lit for that

Btw:
-Some guy actually completed CIU Fade to Black mode, got 30Million and then drained a few seconds later.
Does CIU Mode keep going after completion and start over, or starts a different CIU, or returns to normal gameplay?

#15 10 years ago

Good points. I was unaware of the S&D random shot lit thing. Hope it gives a clue as to which shot is lit for that
Btw:
-Some guy actually completed CIU Fade to Black mode, got 30Million and then drained a few seconds later.
Does CIU Mode keep going after completion and start over, or starts a different CIU, or returns to normal gameplay?

Normal gameplay, but you get a victory lap opportunity.

#16 10 years ago

It depends on the speed. Also that is not the best reward. Lots of choices with the skill shot.

What video?

#17 10 years ago

I've tried the no-flip mystery skill shot and it's never worked once on my machine.

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

With the Super Skill Shot having a random shot lit for S&D completion, I don't know why you would try to get the myster scoop any longer. I mean if you know the game and rules, that is what you should be going for, not mystery scoop.

^This! Even if I could no-flip the mystery scoop 100% of the time, I'd never do it unless I had CIU or extra ball lit. I'm hunting larger prey.

#18 10 years ago

@AV8 - video I'm referring too is one made of 1.5 code by Fourtraxer a few days ago and posted on public YouTube

@treborlicec - Normal gameplay [returns after CIU mode completion] <---- I hope you are right or else will be stuck in the current CIU mode with no way out until you drain. That would make getting to Wizard mode nearly impossible w/o earning tons of extra balls or something.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Ripley's awards 1M just for a regular skill shot and it's a much lower scoring game.

Ripley's Skill shot is also a killer drain trap. If you come close but miss, you usually score enough points to disable the ball saver and then drain. Your ball can be done before it starts. High reward, yes, but very high risk.

#20 10 years ago

@AV8 - video I'm referring too is one made of 1.5 code by Fourtraxer a few days ago and posted on public YouTube
@treborlicec - Normal gameplay [returns after CIU mode completion] <---- I hope you are right or else will be stuck in the current CIU mode with no way out until you drain. That would make getting to Wizard mode nearly impossible w/o earning tons of extra balls or something.

You don't get stuck on CIU. It ends in a few ways:

1) complete it lighting the scoop. Shoot the scoop and collect the jackpot.
2) song ends. Mode ends
3) ball drains

If you select continued everytime at the scoop, eventually the song ends and the mode is over.

#21 10 years ago

Yes, big light show makes it obvious which one. I mentioned how it's potential shortcut to CIU and the next poster correctly pointed out it's also a potential shortcut to S&D. 1.5M at the scoop is nothing compared to those two big head starts with a single shot.

Quoted from Voltherd:

Ripley's Skill shot is also a killer drain trap. If you come close but miss, you usually score enough points to disable the ball saver and then drain. Your ball can be done before it starts. High reward, yes, but very high risk.

Only if you go long (launch too hard). You can hit any switch below the white standups above the upper scoop and it won't kill your skill shot, including the lower scoop to start a continent mode. You can also hit either spinner without killing it. Drain and try again over and over. Just don't hit the white standups. If you have one at home or play one on location regularly, it's easy to get the shot down.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Voltherd:

set the ball saver to something like 0:05 other then the default of 0:00

#23 10 years ago

Besides the head start on S&D and creating a quicker path to CIU, Super Hurry-Up Skill Shot also enables one shot to a 900K collect at the coffin.

Further, if you're just wanting some quick points, the Super Skill Shot soft plunge to the lanes awards 2x and 4x the skill shot value for Left and Right lanes, respectively. So if you're last player on ball 3, this might be a valid option to choose.

Or, if you've got CIU lit, or one shot away from a multiball with little progress toward S&D, then going for the Fuel dead end lane for 2x scoring is a nice set up prior to starting CIU.

Lots of great strategic choices on MET's skill shot now.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Besides the head start on S&D and creating a quicker path to CIU, Super Hurry-Up Skill Shot also enables one shot to a 900K collect at the coffin.
Further, if you're just wanting some quick points, the Super Skill Shot soft plunge to the lanes awards 2x and 4x the skill shot value for Left and Right lanes, respectively. So if you're last player on ball 3, this might be a valid option to choose.
Or, if you've got CIU lit, or one shot away from a multiball with little progress toward S&D, then going for the Fuel dead end lane for 2x scoring is a nice set up prior to starting CIU.
Lots of great strategic choices on MET's skill shot now.

100% accurate here. Well put.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 149.00
$ 25.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-skill-shot-for-metallica-is-as-easy-as-doing-no-flippers-at-all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.