image-323.jpg
image-251.jpg
image-928.jpg
image-742.jpg
image-536.jpg
image-395.jpg
image-650.jpg
image-295.jpg
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Just want to document the tear down and rebuild process on this one. After digging in last night, I realized that this one is much nicer than I originally thought. The dirt in the playfield paint is going to be the biggest challenge.

Here are a few pics of the progress so far.....

IMG_2505.JPGIMG_2505.JPG IMG_2511.JPGIMG_2511.JPG IMG_2496.JPGIMG_2496.JPG

#2 10 years ago

more pics...

IMG_2539.JPGIMG_2539.JPG IMG_2530.JPGIMG_2530.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Yea, the crackling in the light areas-esp. the yellow is so hard to remove without taking paint....Looks like it has lots of potential though.

#4 10 years ago

Dane,

My advice will be the same on GA as it was for On Beam - Magic Eraser. The only issue I see here is that you won't be able to get the same results on GA as you did on OB because the dirt is more ground in. But it will improve over its current condition.

That said, no more than 30 seconds of ME on any given spot on the playfield will get you all the improvement you are going to get removing dirt. After that just polish it out with Novus 2 and then apply your wax of choice and put it back together and play and enjoy it.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#5 10 years ago

Thanks stashyboy and MikeO. I'll post updates as I move along.

#6 10 years ago

Some more progress. All the top playfield hardware has been shined up. The pops are off as well as the slingshot arms. They are tumbling now. Looking good so far!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Taped off the cabinet around the PF so cleanup is easy after cleaning and polishing and waxing. At lunch today, I cleaned and lubed and rebuilt the little stepper responsible for shifting the lit arrow around the table. It was the first time I had ever had one of those apart and I had a bit of a struggle with it. That is a touchy little guy but I think I have it singing now! I'll post pics later tonight.

#8 10 years ago

The "VS" relay on this machine.....

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 10 years ago

And the cabinet protected from all the slop I am about to spread.....

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Looks like I'm the only one here but I'm gonna keep posting till this job is done.

Start scrubbing tomorrow night.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Very helpful............. keep posting.
Let us know how the 'magic eraser' works .
Someone yesterday recommended 'Mr. Clean Magic -eraser' to me. .
Is that what you are using ?
John

#12 10 years ago

< steals idea of taping off rails and holes to keep them from getting crudded during pf cleaning >

those little relays are "fun" little buggers to reassemble...

keep the pics coming! you are keeping my inspiration level up...

@john... yea, mr. clean magic erasers are the ones... they work wonders at getting out grunge that is trapped in the little cracks... you just need to be gentle, as they also will work wonders at removing paint, since they are abrasive...

before and after of one i used it on... i scrubbed a little too hard in a few places, it removed some paint, especially around areas where paint was already gone... but it still looks a lot better, even with a little less paint...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

@john... yea, mr. clean magic erasers are the ones... they work wonders at getting out grunge that is trapped in the little cracks... you just need to be gentle, as they also will work wonders at removing paint, since they are abrasive...

before and after of one i used it on... i scrubbed a little too hard in a few places, it removed some paint, especially around areas where paint was already gone... but it still looks a lot better, even with a little less paint.

Very Nice............ thank you.
I tried Novus #2 ....... didn't see any change.
" " Gel Gloss............ does remove some dirt, but I was hoping for more !
It's a creamy white paste..... nice to work with though.
* I'll try the 'Magic Eraser' & compare results.....

#14 10 years ago

you got it...

tape it off like pafasa did... i taped "underneath" the holes in the pf, and had to spend a lot of time cleaning them out...

#15 10 years ago

@pafasa... have you ever scanned in and made decals for the "d. gottlieb" signature block on the pf?

#16 10 years ago

Looking good Pafasa.
Additional info >>Dont forget when using a magic erasure to use isopropyl alcohol 90% or higher to limit the amount of water content.
For first timers ^^^^ Pafasa already knows it.

#17 10 years ago

I'll start with a rag and simple green concentrate for a very light first wipedown. There is a lot of surface crud that doesn't show in the pics. Then on to the ME and alcohol. When it's as clean as it's gonna get, I'll hit it with the drill and novus 2. Then wax and wax and wax.

Before the wax though, I might try this to level the cupped inserts. I've been watching this thread. Looks like a good idea for those of us who are scared to mess with 2-part automotive clear.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-inserts-fogged-peeling-delaminated-with-uv-curing-resin

#18 10 years ago

Yikes! What have I gotten myself into???!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

@pafasa... have you ever scanned in and made decals for the "d. gottlieb" signature block on the pf?

No. I don't have a good way to scan playfield art. I guess a nice picture would be a good start to create a vector graphic from. Hmmmm...

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

parts.... ya gotta have paarrrts....

#21 10 years ago

JKnPA said :Very Nice............ thank you.
I tried Novus #2 ....... didn't see any change.
" " Gel Gloss............ does remove some dirt, but I was hoping for more !
It's a creamy white paste..... nice to work with though.
* I'll try the 'Magic Eraser' & compare results.....

I think starting with no us 2 actually works to seal some of the dirt in. It does a great job of cleaning and polishing, but unless you have a rag fine enough to get into all the little cracks in the paint, you are just cleaning and polishing right over a lot if the dirt.

ME and high % alcohol, a lot of patience, working very lightly and constantly checking your work and ME sponge for any sign of paint removal will get much better results. Then wipe down with a microfiber rag and alcohol to get all the ME residue cleaned off before you hit it with novus 2 or you will be rubbing with the leftover abrasives from the ME. Then novus2 for a good clean and polish. Then wax as much as you want.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

No. I don't have a good way to scan playfield art. I guess a nice picture would be a good start to create a vector graphic from. Hmmmm...

no rush, but it might be worth a shot... it would be a useful graphic to have...

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

no rush, but it might be worth a shot... it would be a useful graphic to have...

Don't worry. I won't be rushing.

#24 10 years ago

My GA has the same type of graining in the yellow, must have been the batch of wood they used on that game.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

My GA has the same type of graining in the yellow, must have been the batch of wood they used on that game.

I'm anxious to see how well it cleans up. The rest of the game is in beautiful condition mechanically. The cabinet is the worst part of this machine. Flaky paint here and there and a little crappy repair on the bottom left side of the head.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Looking good Pafasa. Additional info >>Dont forget when using a magic erasure to use isopropyl alcohol 90% or higher to limit the amount of water content. For first timers ^^^^ Pafasa already knows it.

Is Denatured alcohol Ok to use too, or must it be Isopropyl ???

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

Is Denatured alcohol Ok to use too, or must it be Isopropyl ???

Not sure but i wouldnt as it may be too aggressive,besides iso is cheap and readily available.
Maybe someone else has input on it?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Not sure but i wouldnt as it may be too aggressive,besides iso is cheap and readily available.Maybe someone else has input on it?

My Isoprppyl is 70% as opposed to 90% stated above.
Denatured alcohol is a cleaning agent, but the can at the hardware store says" use on Glass or as a fuel " ? Not sure why it JUST said that, but THE A WEBSITE ( cited below) did say it would remove ink and stains from clothes !
I thought it was used in woodworking as a cleaner.
Anyway, I didn't buy it. I bought another bottle of 'iSO'.
.........................................................................................Uses[edit source | edit]

As a fuel for marine and ultra-light camping (backpacking) stoves.
As a sanding aid, as the alcohol helps to more easily remove excess dust because it does not open the wood grain the way that water does.[4]
As a mealybug exterminator.[5]
As a cleaning aid in removing ink stains from upholstery or clothes.
As a cleaner in daily housekeeping
As a solvent in shellac and shellac-based products.
As an excipient in a number of pharmaceutical products for topical use.[6]
As a less expensive alternative to pure ethanol in preserving biological specimens.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Looks normal to me.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

The "VS" relay on this machine.....

As long as the circuit boards are aligned properly to start with, I do one side at a time on these. That way you can re-align the board to the opposite side board that is still in place. There is a rotational adjustment that can be made to these.

Also, you aren't done until you apply some Super Lube to the boards after you have polished them.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I'll start with a rag and simple green concentrate for a very light first wipedown. There is a lot of surface crud that doesn't show in the pics. Then on to the ME and alcohol. When it's as clean as it's gonna get, I'll hit it with the drill and novus 2. Then wax and wax and wax.
Before the wax though, I might try this to level the cupped inserts. I've been watching this thread. Looks like a good idea for those of us who are scared to mess with 2-part automotive clear.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-inserts-fogged-peeling-delaminated-with-uv-curing-resin

i think you should try it, because i'm curious to see the results... all of my machines could use to have the inserts fixed...

the auto clear scares me... i'm not real good with toxic materials...

#32 10 years ago

re: denatured alcohol...

what is commonly sold as "denatured alcohol" is ethanol (vs. iso, which can also be found, albeit rarely, in denatured form)... "denaturing" ethanol is the process of adding in "stuff" (generally methanol, but also a few other things) to basically make it undrinkable... although it existed before prohibition, that is when it really came into use, so that people wouldn't drink the stuff (either straight or as part of a "bathtub concoction")...

so it's really not the fact that it's "denatured" that you want to avoid using it (there's other reasons, instead)... iso is actually "more toxic" than ethanol, as your liver converts it to acetone, which is, umm, not healthy... otoh, iso won't dry out your skin nearly as badly as ethanol will...

it's "cheaper" than pure ethanol because pure ethanol is taxed, and denatured ethanol isn't...

there's also stuff called "specially denatured alcohol" (again, usually ethanol based), and that is used in cough syrups, etc...

i probably missed a few things here, it's been a long time since chemistry class...

why can't i remember anything REALLY important?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

dunno if it's really graining... looks like simply cracks in the lacquer (like "ball swirls" are)... could be wrong though...

imo, the reason it shows up so bad in the yellow is that yellow "shows" dirt much worse than the other colors on the pf... every little speck shows... whereas in the "darker colors", you can get it to a "good enough" state much easier... they are still "dirty" upon real close inspection, but they don't show it when looked at from a "normal viewing distance"...

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

re: denatured alcohol...
what is commonly sold as "denatured alcohol" is ethanol (vs. iso, which can also be found, albeit rarely, in denatured form)... "denaturing" ethanol is the process of adding in "stuff" (generally methanol, but also a few other things) to basically make it undrinkable... although it existed before prohibition, that is when it really came into use, so that people wouldn't drink the stuff (either straight or as part of a "bathtub concoction")...
so it's really not the fact that it's "denatured" that you want to avoid using it (there's other reasons, instead)... iso is actually "more toxic" than ethanol, as your liver converts it to acetone, which is, umm, not healthy... otoh, iso won't dry out your skin nearly as badly as ethanol will...
it's "cheaper" than pure ethanol because pure ethanol is taxed, and denatured ethanol isn't...
there's also stuff called "specially denatured alcohol" (again, usually ethanol based), and that is used in cough syrups, etc...
i probably missed a few things here, it's been a long time since chemistry class...
why can't i remember anything REALLY important?

My Point was........ which is better to use ? Why is Isopropyl mentioned ?
Just trying to get it right, not a criticism.......

#35 10 years ago

What I know is that I have seen plenty of recommendations to use 90+% Iso Alcohol and never have I seen a recommendation to use denatured. I know very little about the chemical reasons why other than is supposedly does not raise wood grain like water does.

I wouldn't use the 70% as you are kind of defeating the purpose of the alcohol which is to keep water away from the wood. 70% alcohol means 30% water to me.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

As long as the circuit boards are aligned properly to start with, I do one side at a time on these. That way you can re-align the board to the opposite side board that is still in place. There is a rotational adjustment that can be made to these.
Also, you aren't done until you apply some Super Lube to the boards after you have polished them.
Mike O.
Team-EM

Thanks, You can kind of see the SuperLube on the contact traces if you look super close.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Thanks, You can kind of see the SuperLube on the contact traces if you look super close.

Glad you have that covered.

#38 10 years ago

Before and after a quick wipedown. I used a microfiber rag lightly dampened with simple green concentrate. Not much of a visible change but you can definitely see the dirt on the rag.

#39 10 years ago

The stuff I used.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 10 years ago

Before and after hitting this spot with ME and 91% ISO alcohol.

BIG difference! I scrubbed back and forth in the direction of the grain. You end up with what looks like paint loss in the dark areas but in reality I just cleaned the dirt out of the cracks in the paint.

#41 10 years ago

^^^

lookin GOOD!

#42 10 years ago

^ What he said

#43 10 years ago

Well, that is as far as I'm willing to take any spot on the table. There is still a little dirt in the cracks but I feel like going any further will produce negative results. Now just a few more hours to hit the rest of the playfield.

#44 10 years ago

^^^

it certainly looks "good enough" to me.... and we know what the enemy of good enough is...

#45 10 years ago

Yup!

#47 10 years ago

Oh, and this one too:
ebay.com link: 1965 GOTTLIEB BUCKAROO pinball machine Super NICE Shopped 100 working perfect

(hey, they're nearby - doesn't happen that often.)

#48 10 years ago

Congrats on the Golden Arrow!
I picked one up a few weeks ago and it's easily one of my all time favourite wedgeheads. Great progression and the moving arrow offers so much challenge. One of the most attractive EMs I've seen too.

Nice to see what I'm in for

Looking forward to seeing this completed!

#49 10 years ago

Thanks drano. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do. Something about that 10k gong really keeps me coming back for more. I'm shopping it so I can really get a feel for it as a possible keeper. Only so much room you know. It may be going up for sale or it may not. We will see. My wife is a photographer and I may end up putting this in her studio. Pretty cool photo prop wouldn't you say?

#50 10 years ago

Thanks for the temptation dirtflipper! I know the seller on those games. Love playing at his pizza joint in Omaha. He is benepinballs here on pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-shopping-my-gottlieb-golden-arrow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.