TensReset.jpg
image-460.jpg
image.jpg
2014Mar07 007.JPG
2014Mar07 006.JPG
2014Mar07 005.JPG
image-460.jpg
image-919.jpg
There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

A vast improvement over what you started with. Lookin' good.

Yes indeed!

Ken

#102 10 years ago

Nice work, Dane.

Mike O.

#103 10 years ago

Thanks guys. This will not be the "back to original" restore. It is more of a "back to life" type!

This process makes me want to do more. My royal guard is calling to me.

#104 10 years ago

Cleaning up very nicely! I'm sure the owner will love the work you've done!

#105 10 years ago

many people are surprised that with a little work and a few parts a machine that they thought was not worth fixing comes out nice.
I have saved quite a few bound for the dump. they are in someones collection right now. the might not be collector machines but they are good player machines if not better.
some titles are not worth much in good shape so i don't throw to much cash into them but as you guys know a complete EM doesn't take much cash to get running 100%

after you are done the sweethearts will be a good player machine and that is better than parting it out any day in my book.
look forward to pics when it completed

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

many people are surprised that with a little work and a few parts a machine that they thought was not worth fixing comes out nice.

Words to live by, also a great way to own games when you can't afford them.

#107 10 years ago

I buffed out the final coat of wax before dinner tonight. Unfortunately, that's all for today. Building some speakers tonight at pinballpro.

#108 10 years ago

Its not much but I guess you can call it progress??

IMG_3493.JPGIMG_3493.JPG
#110 10 years ago

blinding WHITE......

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

new pops please me..

--Jeff

I know guys who will rebuild Pop Bumpers but not replace the Yellowed bodies that are just ready to crack any year. I just don't understand why someone would go through all the trouble of tearing apart Pop Bumpers are not replace it with all new parts which are cheap unless you are selling it.

Ken

#112 10 years ago

I see both sides. It always feels good to have fresh new parts installed. But then I sort of like the warm look of the aged original parts. They look more appropriate than the stark white against an aged original playfield. It would be nice if PBR could have mellowed them slightly, then it would be the best of both worlds.

On the other side of the coin I have a friend with a beautiful Kings & Queens and El Dorado. Both have Wade Krause playfields installed. There is absolutely no patina to speak of and the glowing brightness of new parts looks absolutely appropriate and correct.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I know guys who will rebuild Pop Bumpers but not replace the Yellowed bodies that are just ready to crack any year. I just don't understand why someone would go through all the trouble of tearing apart Pop Bumpers are not replace it with all new parts which are cheap unless you are selling it.
Ken

Because the new ones aren't quite the same as the old ones (in shape), and they just look too new with the rest of surrounding parts (like Grandma with new sneakers). Unless it's a new playfield and ALL the other parts are new (with a full repaint, etc), it throws the overall appearance of the game out of whack. It becomes less of an issue once you get into the 70's era games, where the available bumper bodies match better, but on the 60's and older games, they just aren't a good match. Functional, yes, but very conspicuous. And there aren't repros available for the 'dead' bumper bodies, so putting in new pops and leaving the old dead bumpers looks even more conspicuous.

So for those of use who obsess over originality, it's all about keeping that original appearance (and the parts) accurate. Some of us (ahem) will even favor (and value) the older plastic that has the marbleized appearance vs. the shiny new stuff, even tolerating some nicks here and there, to keep that overall appearance intact, balanced, and faithful.

But, when the old parts aren't available, or are broken, then functionality wins. Or, if it's just going to be a 'player' game, sure (but then why spend the money). With plastic parts though, it's pretty much all or nothing, since the new ones just don't look like the old ones.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But, when the old parts aren't available, or are broken, then functionality wins. Or, if it's just going to be a 'player' game, sure (but then why spend the money). With plastic parts though, it's pretty much all or nothing, since the new ones just don't look like the old ones.

Thanks for explaining your side of the equation DirtFlipper. All my games have been 1971 and up so now I understand with the older games (50's - 60's) now that you have explained that it is the problem of availability of original looking parts that hinders replacement. Thank You.

Ken

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Should see how it looks after a dip in Zep followed by some Mother's Mag&Alum polish...

Ahem....

#116 10 years ago

Cool discussion. I actually don't like the bright white pop bodies, but the old ones were either cracked or the cap screw holes were blown out and replacing only a couple would have looked even worse. It does look out of place against the stripped and worn playfield, but I think it will get better as the whole thing comes back together.

#117 10 years ago

I think they look great and after you get everything on, they'll look even better!

#118 10 years ago

Didn't say one had to leave the parts dirty and greasy... (although I would say that the Zep/Mother's treatment is overkill for most needs, but it does make them super shiny).

Sometimes the parts that are in the worst shape (i.e., dirtiest, dingiest) get the most attention though too (like a full dip/polish). And then of course once you do one part and it looks like that, then it makes the rest look bad, and then it's off to the races.

But even original parts deserve to be 'clean' original parts.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

blinding WHITE......

I did a "Bowling Queen" recently and was also turned off by the blinding white repro pop bodies. What I did was, I soaked them in a strong tea solution for about two weeks. When I pulled them out and rinsed them off, they had a perfect yellowed aged look. Once the bumpers were assembled though, I realized that you really don't see much of the bodies anyway.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Cool discussion. I actually don't like the bright white pop bodies, but the old ones were either cracked or the cap screw holes were blown out and replacing only a couple would have looked even worse. It does look out of place against the stripped and worn playfield, but I think it will get better as the whole thing comes back together.

Once the caps are back on, and with new rings and everything else, it'll be fine (and play great). This type of detail is reserved for keeper games for collector's with OCD.

#121 10 years ago

i agree if broken what choice do you have? and to mix new with old is even worse, so you did what was required. As noted once put back together they look fine.

It has been so F'en cold here i have not had a chance to put my sweet hearts back together.
The PF is done, bottom board rebuilt, all cabinet hardware was cleaned and polished and ready to go, then it got cold.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Sometimes the parts that are in the worst shape (i.e., dirtiest, dingiest) get the most attention though too (like a full dip/polish). And then of course once you do one part and it looks like that, then it makes the rest look bad, and then it's off to the races.

Oh many times have i been down that rabbit hole

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i agree if broken what choice do you have? and to mix new with old is even worse, so you did what was required. As noted once put back together they look fine.
It has been so F'en cold here i have not had a chance to put my sweet hearts back together.
The PF is done, bottom board rebuilt, all cabinet hardware was cleaned and polished and ready to go, then it got cold.

Snow is a comin`

#124 10 years ago

Off topic but it made me smile. I gave my 6 year old son a blank notebook yesterday. He just showed me the picture he drew of his favorite pin.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#125 10 years ago

Nice pic...i remember when my boys were younger and did things related to pinball. Treasure the picture and frame it.

#126 10 years ago

Amazing the difference the caps make. Doesn't look so bad now.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#127 10 years ago

It does look nice.Great Player too!

#128 10 years ago

One of these days I will play a Sweethearts. Nice new caps!

#129 10 years ago

Caps look great! And nice artwork from your son! Love it!

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Amazing the difference the caps make. Doesn't look so bad now.

image.jpg 220 KB

looks good
i hate when a pin needs new caps the colors are not always the same so you have to replace them all at the same time, and those 60's caps are $$$$ vs the 70's
almost as bad as new drop targets. cost me 80.00 to re drop my 2001 ouch!

4 weeks later
#131 10 years ago

Well......The holidays were fun but there was no time for any pin repairs. I got back after it last night and started reassembling the playfield. I have the wood playfield rails cleaned and mounted and have cleaned and installed the upper arch. Hopefully more to come soon. I may need some help with rubber ring locations. I am not sure I took enough pics.

Here is the before and after of the chrome arch.

IMG_3697.JPGIMG_3697.JPG IMG_3698.JPGIMG_3698.JPG
#132 10 years ago

Very nice! I should send you my arches off of my machines and put your to work!

#133 10 years ago

You don't need to do that. My fees are ridiculous!!

I cleaned the arch with Simple Green and a microfiber cloth.
Then, I used Blue Magic metal polish. Just wipe on a thin layer and let it sit for a while. Then rub it off with a microfiber rag until it is nice and shiny. About 5 minutes of actual labor went into this arch.

You can find Blue Magic about anywhere. I get mine at a local Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Fluids-and-Chemicals/Polish/_/N-25ke?filterByKeyWord=blue+magic&fromString=search

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Hopefully more to come soon. I may need some help with rubber ring locations. I am not sure I took enough pics.
Here is the before and after of the chrome arch.

IMG_3697.JPG 186 KB

IMG_3698.JPG 161 KB

let me know i have them

#135 10 years ago

Time for Blue Magic then. I have already Simple greened a few. Abra-Ca-Dabra and some slight elbow grease on Slick Chick's metal apron but ACD will need some of that Blue Magic and I will use it on Card Whiz's coin door.

#136 10 years ago

Starting to look like a pinball machine again. image.jpgimage.jpgimage-607.jpgimage-607.jpg

Thanks boiler man. If I need assistance I'll let you know.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Time for Blue Magic then. I have already Simple greened a few. Abra-Ca-Dabra and some slight elbow grease on Slick Chick's metal apron but ACD will need some of that Blue Magic and I will use it on Card Whiz's coin door.

Hey Rat-
I wouldn't use Blue Magic on stainless steel. I use it all the time on chrome it's great! Stainless seems to have less great results. Don't know the chemistry, but wouldn't recommend it. Just my two cents.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Hey Rat-
I wouldn't use Blue Magic on stainless steel. I use it all the time on chrome it's great! Stainless seems to have less great results. Don't know the chemistry, but wouldn't recommend it. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the tip. Lock bar and side rails don't respond well to blue magic? What do you use on those parts then?

#139 10 years ago

You've done an amazing job! Can't wait to see the rest of it together!
Joe

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Thanks for the tip. Lock bar and side rails don't respond well to blue magic? What do you use on those parts then?

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I re-grain all stainless. Takes several hours and rails are removed from the game. (yes, a pain, but great results)

#141 10 years ago

Stashy why can't we be neighbors. LOL. Please move to Dallas area.

#142 10 years ago

Why don't you move to New York instead Dan? Then you would be closer to PBR too!

#143 10 years ago

Oh how I wish! I would then have to clone my wife because the original wife would leave me. Maybe the clone would like pinball and we could live in the Catskills somewhere with a big concrete floored and heated / AC outdoor pinball building that can hold one of every Gottlieb single player (some multi player 70's) wedge heads from 1947-1979. Damn....then I woke up and got on here to post about this fantasy. Now to fall back to sleep and hope for heavy r.e.m. sleep.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

What I do is buy the Krylon webbing paint and spray about an ounce or two into a detailed sprayer
http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html
Then I pour about a thimble full or a little more of lacquer thinner into the sprayer and mix it slightly.I then spray it around 60 psi with the nozzle on the sprayer wide open.It takes a little playing around to get it right so it's best to test spray it on some cardboard or scrap wood.Once you get it just right it should only take about 2-3 minutes at most to spray everything.I usually do it in short bursts about 6-8 inches from what ever I'm spraying

This is a really important post Boilerman because I find getting webbing right is not easy largely because the Gottlieb webbing is so subtle. It seems you almost need to look for it whereas the Krylon webbing out of the can is just too imposing. When you use the touch up air gun does it still 'throw' the webbing as it does out of the can and can you share any other 'trade secrets' on this most difficult skill.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

This is a really important post Boilerman because I find getting webbing right is not easy largely because the Gottlieb webbing is so subtle. It seems you almost need to look for it whereas the Krylon webbing out of the can is just too imposing. When you use the touch up air gun does it still 'throw' the webbing as it does out of the can and can you share any other 'trade secrets' on this most difficult skill.

the info i posted is all you really need to know, other than practice

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the info i posted is all you really need to know, other than practice

Also thanks from me. I have not done any EM cabinet repaints because of the webbing/splatter. Maybe this summer I will get the chance to start "practicing"!

#147 10 years ago

I held off doing webbing for a while. i did not want to screw it up. then i just jumped in. what the hell the worse that could happen. i have to sand it down again.

#148 10 years ago

I had decent luck with this Krylon product. Not the perfect match but it was close.

PB091314.JPGPB091314.JPG

PB101319.JPGPB101319.JPG
#149 10 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I had decent luck with this Krylon product. Not the perfect match but it was close.

PB091314.JPG 142 KB

PB101319.JPG 233 KB

That does look pretty good! What Krylon product?

#150 10 years ago

i guess he ment krylon for red and blue not the webbing.
that did come out nice, i would like a gigi. i just added it to my want list a few months back

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-shopping-a-1963-gottlieb-sweet-hearts/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.