TensReset.jpg
image-460.jpg
image.jpg
2014Mar07 007.JPG
2014Mar07 006.JPG
2014Mar07 005.JPG
image-460.jpg
image-919.jpg
There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 10 years ago

Just brought this in to do an overhaul for a guy locally. I can't seem to talk him out of the game, so next best thing is to make is as nice as possible and "test play" it for a fair amount of time just to make sure everything works right. Here are all the photos I have of it so far. I will post progress as I go.

I have already figured out the pafasa mod on it too!

There is quite a load of pics in this first post.

IMG_3252.jpgIMG_3252.jpg IMG_3253.JPGIMG_3253.JPG IMG_3254.JPGIMG_3254.JPG IMG_3255.JPGIMG_3255.JPG IMG_3256.JPGIMG_3256.JPG IMG_3257.JPGIMG_3257.JPG IMG_3258.JPGIMG_3258.JPG IMG_3259.JPGIMG_3259.JPG IMG_3262.JPGIMG_3262.JPG IMG_3263.JPGIMG_3263.JPG IMG_3264.JPGIMG_3264.JPG IMG_3265.JPGIMG_3265.JPG IMG_3266.JPGIMG_3266.JPG IMG_3272.jpgIMG_3272.jpg IMG_3273.JPGIMG_3273.JPG IMG_3274.JPGIMG_3274.JPG IMG_3275.jpgIMG_3275.jpg IMG_3281.jpgIMG_3281.jpg IMG_3282.JPGIMG_3282.JPG IMG_3283.JPGIMG_3283.JPG IMG_3284.JPGIMG_3284.JPG IMG_3285.JPGIMG_3285.JPG IMG_3286.JPGIMG_3286.JPG IMG_3287.JPGIMG_3287.JPG IMG_3288.JPGIMG_3288.JPG IMG_3289.JPGIMG_3289.JPG IMG_3290.JPGIMG_3290.JPG IMG_3291.JPGIMG_3291.JPG IMG_3292.JPGIMG_3292.JPG IMG_3293.JPGIMG_3293.JPG IMG_3294.JPGIMG_3294.JPG IMG_3295.JPGIMG_3295.JPG IMG_3296.jpgIMG_3296.jpg IMG_3297.jpgIMG_3297.jpg IMG_3298.jpgIMG_3298.jpg IMG_3299.jpgIMG_3299.jpg IMG_3300.jpgIMG_3300.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Looks like you have you work cut out for you on the top side alone Pafasa............you lucky guy.

I guess you will know more about the mechanical end once you get to dig into it. Have Fun!

Looks like the machine could use some Coin Door parts and a New Backglass as well.

How much money is the owner willing to spend as I can see sinking some bucks into that baby to get it Super Nice?

Ken

#3 10 years ago

Yes, that backglass looks pretty bad.

Looks like at one time somebody repainted the front of the cabinet around the coin door too.

#4 10 years ago

Backglass is horrible and coindoor and coin slots are mostly red instead of shiny chrome. I think once the palyfield is cleaned up and the machine is playing well, the owner may want to do more restoration. For now he just wants it clean and playing.

The entire cabinet and head have been repainted at one point. Whoever did it, tried to recreate the original cabinet art but did a pretty rough job of it. You can see that the art on the head is not right at all. This will not change on this one as far as I know. My job is to clean it up and get it running for the holidays. Clock is ticking!

#5 10 years ago

The outside looks fairly grungy but the inside looks pretty nice actually. Should be a fun project. Looking forward to the documentation.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The outside looks fairly grungy but the inside looks pretty nice actually. Should be a fun project. Looking forward to the documentation.

Looking forward to doing it!

#7 10 years ago

Wow, just wow!

Talk about a daunting project - good luck

#8 10 years ago

Old school. Nice Hurry, Santa is waiting!

#9 10 years ago

I will pull the control board tonight and collect up any hiding screws and labels. Then vacuum up the crud. The playfield glass was broken and the machine had been sitting in a garage for years. So far, I have found and removed 3 mud wasp nests. No rodent evidence though. No Termites either. I will start taking inventory of what I need to order from PBR.

#10 10 years ago

Where there's a will, there's a way!
Watching in the midwest!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I will pull the control board tonight and collect up any hiding screws and labels. Then vacuum up the crud. The playfield glass was broken and the machine had been sitting in a garage for years. So far, I have found and removed 3 mud wasp nests. No rodent evidence though. No Termites either. I will start taking inventory of what I need to order from PBR.

You might want to check PBRs vacation schedule and plan accordingly...

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You might want to check PBRs vacation schedule and plan accordingly...

Didnt think of that. Thanks for the tip!

#13 10 years ago

Couldn't stay away from it at lunch. Skipped food to strip the topside of the playfield. Oh! And make that FOUR mud wasp nests! Puke!!!

#14 10 years ago

Good to know that wasp like Gottliebs too!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Couldn't stay away from it at lunch. Skipped food to strip the topside of the playfield.

Hmm, I wish I had your enthusiasm, my old pants might still fit.

#16 10 years ago

I have a bunch of pics to upload but it is not working right now from mobile device.

Alex.....suck it in! Those pants will fit!

#17 10 years ago

Uploading works again!

Stripped topside of playfield at lunch yesterday!
IMG_3319.jpgIMG_3319.jpgIMG_3320.JPGIMG_3320.JPGIMG_3321.JPGIMG_3321.JPGIMG_3322.JPGIMG_3322.JPGIMG_3323.JPGIMG_3323.JPGIMG_3324.JPGIMG_3324.JPGIMG_3336.JPGIMG_3336.JPG

Wasp nest number 4!
IMG_3335.JPGIMG_3335.JPG

If you know me, you would know that I probably ran out of the room screaming and peeing my pants after seeing this. (even knowing it's dead) This is the one creature on the planet that I just can't handle properly. I am completely and irrationally afraid of these stupid little things. I'm sure I'm kinda funny to watch from a distance when wasps are around. Because of this, I understand my wife's "stand on the table and scream" fear of mice.
IMG_3338.jpgIMG_3338.jpg

Stripped the control board and most of the metal from the cabinet last night. Leaving the side rails. The push-up ball guide and the locks will come off too and be cleaned.
IMG_3337.jpgIMG_3337.jpgIMG_3344.JPGIMG_3344.JPGIMG_3345.JPGIMG_3345.JPGIMG_3346.jpgIMG_3346.jpg

Couple questions for you experts here...

This is the first Gottlieb of this era I have worked on. There are some playfield post screws missing. They are the rounded head screws with a large flange integrated into the head, slotted style. There are three lengths.
There are also screws missing that hold the rear glass support brace to the cabinet. Four longer ones and two short for the sides. All round headed and slotted style.

Any ideas where I can get these?IMG_3331.JPGIMG_3331.JPG

#18 10 years ago

Petrified wasp!!!
Teardown 101

#19 10 years ago

Holy Shit...... that thing is gonna need a lot of TLC.
I would check with PBR, Steve sometimes has stuff like this kicking around that isn't mentioned on the website.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I would check with PBR, Steve sometimes has stuff like this kicking around that isn't mentioned on the website.

What do you have in mind. I have already ordered what I think I need. What "stuff" are you thinking of? Maybe I missed something. You talking about the screws?

Any other tips from your experience?

#21 10 years ago

For screws like that, I've always extracted them from a parts game. (One parts game goes a looong way, especially for the particular screws that Gtb used.) But the suggestion to ask Steve is a good one. He's got a lot of stuff squirreled away.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

What do you have in mind. I have already ordered what I think I need. What "stuff" are you thinking of? Maybe I missed something. You talking about the screws?
Any other tips from your experience?

yes, I meant to elusive screws.

#23 10 years ago

Called Steve on the screws. He said he does have a few.

Finished stripping the cabinet. Vacuumed the cabinet inside and out. image.jpgimage.jpg

Pulled some parts from the tumbler. image-109.jpgimage-109.jpg

Vacuumed the bottom side of the playfield. Man the wire colors really have kept their colors. image-217.jpgimage-217.jpgimage-495.jpgimage-495.jpg

#24 10 years ago

This guy owes you some big bucks for this fix up! Keep the pics coming!
Joe

#25 10 years ago

Thanks Joe! Took the weekend off from pinball as much as I could. Thanksgiving with the in-laws and Christmas decorating with the wife and kids! Long weekend!!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Took the weekend off from pinball</b :Dkquote>

YOU WHAT!!!!

Ken

#27 10 years ago

Not by choice Ken. Did you read the next sentence?

Beautiful weather here for the next couple days. I'm gonna take advantage of it and hang lights outside as much as possible. But when that box of parts shows up from PBR........well, lets just say I might get in a hurry.

badDecorations.jpgbadDecorations.jpg

#28 10 years ago

just finished shopping my new sweethearts. cabinet has pretty nice oem paint just a little touch up needed.
Buckaroo is next in line for restoration

20131202_150923.jpg20131202_150923.jpg 20131202_150911.jpg20131202_150911.jpg 20131202_150848.jpg20131202_150848.jpg 20131016_182940.jpg20131016_182940.jpg 20131016_182841.jpg20131016_182841.jpg
#29 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

just finished shopping my new sweethearts. cabinet has pretty nice oem paint just a little touch up needed.

Nice. What do you like to use on the playfield? Manual cleaning/waxing, or ?

Sweet Hearts playfields seem to hold up well for some reason.

#30 10 years ago

hot wax and buffer

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Buckaroo is next in line for restoration

20131202_150923.jpg 231 KB

20131202_150911.jpg 256 KB

20131202_150848.jpg 228 KB

20131016_182940.jpg 245 KB

20131016_182841.jpg 251 KB

Looks Really nice!! The plastics on the one I'm working on are more yellowed and warped than yours. Did you do anything to them or were they just in really good shape?

Paint touchup around the pops or is that the shadow from the mylar rings?

Looks like the rubber rings on the far right rollover lane up top are not positioned on the posts correctly. Next to the ten of hearts lane, upper and lower under the white lane guide.

I hope I find a playfield as nice as yours under the mess I'm starting with. Awesome work! Did you have to use any ME and alcohol?

#32 10 years ago

boilerman,

can you explain the hot wax and how to use it? I just use the old carnuba paste and a buffer.

Thanks,
Jeff

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Looks Really nice!! The plastics on the one I'm working on are more yellowed and warped than yours. Did you do anything to them or were they just in really good shape?
Paint touchup around the pops or is that the shadow from the mylar rings?
Looks like the rubber rings on the far right rollover lane up top are not positioned on the posts correctly. Next to the ten of hearts lane, upper and lower under the white lane guide.
I hope I find a playfield as nice as yours under the mess I'm starting with. Awesome work! Did you have to use any ME and alcohol?

-the plastics were nice to start with a novus 2 cleaning only
-there was a small touch up around the pops
-that rubber looks like it is not in the post groove, will slide it up thanks

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

boilerman,
can you explain the hot wax and how to use it? I just use the old carnuba paste and a buffer.
Thanks,
Jeff

(NOTE)--you must use johnson paste wax only it has linseed oil in it that will flash off****
(NOTE)I remove everything from the pf surface even the wood rails so i have no objects to deal with when buffing***

1- clean the pf with simple green crystal clear and a rag to clean all the dirt off
2- wipe the pf down with naptha and a clean rag to get any oil or wax that remains
3-clean the pf with 90% iso and magic eraser until it is to my liking
4-clean the pf with novus 2 until it shines

optional- touch up now if you feel it is required. if you do, I touch up a small area. i seal
the touch up with two light coats minwax wipe on poly. let each coat dry then buff
with a rag and novus 2
5- use johnson paste wax and a heat gun(blow dryer can work but the heat gun flashes the linseed oil faster)
i apply a nice coat of wax the use the heat gun to flash off the wax, it will cloud up fast just keep the heat moving
at all times
6- buff the wax off, i use a 4" buffer the works well. a larger one will work but you do not want one to big.
do not press the buffer to hard you could burn the pf if the buffer is high rpm's
7-repeat steps 5 and 6 until it shines to your liking. i apply 4-6 coats, i do not see much difference beyond that.
8- put everything back together.

that is the way i shop every pf that comes through my collection

#35 10 years ago

This stuff?

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_crystal.php

(couldn't find a "crystal clear")

Good info - thanks for sharing.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Not by choice Ken. Did you read the next sentence?

I was just messing with you Pafasa.

Glad you had a fun weekend with the relatives.

Ken

#37 10 years ago

that is the stuff dirt! i like it better than the green stuff. it rinses off better no film IMO
but the green stuff will work

#38 10 years ago

I'll have to try some next time I run out of the 'green' stuff.

#39 10 years ago

oh, and what buffer do you use? I've been looking at various dual action polishers, but the smallest seems to be 6 inch (without getting a separate backing plate).

I have another playfield cleaning coming up, and thought it would be nice to try something other than by hand for a change...

#40 10 years ago

i use a wen 4" but i think they stopped making them a few yrs back
a friend has a 3" that works good, i think he got at http://www.griotsgarage.com/

015.jpg015.jpg
#41 10 years ago

Good stuff. Ill try the heat gun style.

-Jeff

#42 10 years ago

Cool. More toys to search for (and search terms too). Thanks!

#43 10 years ago

The small orbital buffer is the best size for playfields. The 12" orbital auto polisher is kind of big for the job. Orbital buffers are safer to use, less chance of damaging or removing playfield paint. Wool pads for heavy duty polishing. The foam and terry cloth covered for medium to light polishing. Also for carnauba wax application.

Really nice looking pin.

#44 10 years ago

Yep, looks like that Wen 4" is defunct. And the Griot's seems to be the only one out there smaller than 6" (other than a drill attachment), which makes for a short list I guess. I was surprised to not find more options than that.

(wow, I hi-jacked a thread. I feel so alive! OK, sorry.)

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

(wow, I hi-jacked a thread. I feel so alive! OK, sorry.)

I'm glad to see some activity in the thread since I am stuck away from the machine for a couple more days.

#46 10 years ago

Pulled all the rollover wires at lunch and tossed them in the tumbler.

Boilerman, what a pain it is to have that giant relay reset bank mounted under the playfield! You could have warned me........

#47 10 years ago

Wen is a good manufacturer. Craftsman use to use a rebadged Waxaco polisher, it is/was good too.
I have seen a Meguiars Dual Action polisher. The DA is an attachment for a drill. It is 3 to 4 inches in size. You might want to check their website on that one.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Pulled all the rollover wires at lunch and tossed them in the tumbler.
Boilerman, what a pain it is to have that giant relay reset bank mounted under the playfield! You could have warned me........

i posted a thread a little while back http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beat-this
i shopped a lot of EM's and never had one this big mounted under the playfield....WOW
i had the pf on the Rotisserie and fixed everything under that bank that i thought could go bad, once installed in the game you can not get to the parts under the bank.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

once installed in the game you can not get to the parts under the bank.

Yeah, and all i wanted to do was pull the rollover wires!! Who had this bright idea!!!???

#50 10 years ago

I rebuilt a Sweet Hearts about a year ago. I feel your pain. I think it's a carryover from the 50's design era, where the score motor board had very little on it, and they just stuffed everything underneath the playfield. There are some long relay banks tucked underneath the woodrails, but I'd have to agree that Sweet Hearts seems to be the high water mark there (but only by maybe 3 or 4 relays).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-shopping-a-1963-gottlieb-sweet-hearts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.