Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheWiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

My Gottlieb System 3 Super Mario Brothers Mushroom World has developed a problem with the swimming mode. Cannot control the swimmer with either flipper button. Flipper buttons work okay in the jumping animation and in audits and tests, can control the functions with both flipper buttons, problem is just in the swimming mode. This used to work okay then one day just quit working. I have reseated connections. Flipper buttons work in switch test, 81 and 82 I believe. I checked the opto coupler and it is okay as I figured it would be since the flipper button works for other modes. The game plays fine except for this one problem. I am going to order a new game eprom but was wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any others ideas on what to check.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

My Gottlieb System 3 Super Mario Brothers Mushroom World has developed a problem with the swimming mode. Cannot control the swimmer with either flipper button. Flipper buttons work okay in the jumping animation and in audits and tests, can control the functions with both flipper buttons, problem is just in the swimming mode. This used to work okay then one day just quit working. I have reseated connections. Flipper buttons work in switch test, 81 and 82 I believe. I checked the opto coupler and it is okay as I figured it would be since the flipper button works for other modes. The game plays fine except for this one problem. I am going to order a new game eprom but was wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any others ideas on what to check.

I had similar issues with my software (not the swimming - but other issues) and a replacement eprom from Steve at PBR took care of the issue. Sounds like that should work for you as well.

#3 3 years ago

I’ve replaced the game rom and the display rom, still have the same problem. Different MPU and display controller boards, still same problem. I’m running out of ideas.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

I’ve replaced the game rom and the display rom, still have the same problem. Different MPU and display controller boards, still same problem. I’m running out of ideas.

What exactly happens in the swimming mode when you press the buttons? Nothing at all?

#5 3 years ago

The flippers flip but the character on the screen does not move so it only takes a couple seconds to hit the monster and die. The way it is supposed to work is the left flipper moves the character up and the right flipper moves the character down so you can avoid the monster fish and get to the other side of the display and collect bonus points.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

The flippers flip but the character on the screen does not move so it only takes a couple seconds to hit the monster and die. The way it is supposed to work is the left flipper moves the character up and the right flipper moves the character down so you can avoid the monster fish and get to the other side of the display and collect bonus points.

That is very strange. Yes, mine works as you described. Your issue (to me) points to the program. You said you replaced the eprom, but did you use the same data file that was on the other eprom or did you get a fresh download from MAME or PBR?

#7 3 years ago

File was from a working game. The checksum on it was a little different than the one I had in the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-mushroom-world-cant-swim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.