image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20150918_012651.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello guys.
Earlier tonight I picked up a Super Mario machine, this is my very first Gottlieb machine in my collection so I'm not so familiar with it's system yet...however, the game worked when I tested it at the sellers house, but in order to get it up from the basement I had to disconnect the backbox - when I came home I sat up the machine in my workshop and reconnected all the cables...but it would not start up...?!?! I noticed that P6 was still free....and I cant remember if it was anything in it either...nor can I find any lose cable...
Does it suppose to be free???

Sorry for long story and short quiz gents, but I hope someone can look at their machine and let me know what I'm missing here...

Thanks
Paul

20150918_012651.jpg20150918_012651.jpg

#2 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Those are the board onine for reference. P6 is empty on mine too. Hope it helps

#4 8 years ago

Thanks a lot, yes that helped me a lot actually...looks like I've done it correctly
but it still wont start up...the machine had been sitting unused for 10 years before I came along....
battery??? hmmmmm....

#5 8 years ago

Dead battery won't cause the machine to not boot up. It will boot but display a low battery error code. Does the machine light up but not boot up? You have to start from the beginning with a voltmeter and chase power throughout. Your 5 volt supply may be the culprit.

#6 8 years ago

Check your fuses are seated properly and not blown. If the fuses are fine time to get your meter and check voltages across test points / transformer.

#7 8 years ago

Did you begin to unplug any of the cables when the machine was plugged in? That will create all kinds of problems....you could have blown the U11 chip on the CPU Board or the U8 GAL chip on the DMD controller board. Typically a bad U8 Gal chip will show garbage on the DMD Display when it boots up. Does the game make a piercing sound when you turn it on? I'd start by testing voltages and go from there. Are the LED's on the CPU Board & DMD Board blinking or on steady? They should be blinking if not you could have a problem on that board.

#8 8 years ago

Ok, guys...thanks a lot for your ideas
Machine was unplugged from the wall before I disconnected all the cables.
All fuses are fine...those I found, under playfield and next to the transformer at the bottom of the cab.
What happened when I turned on the machine was, backbox GI lid up, display showed just a tiny writing in the bottom left corner, saying "Ball 40" (blinking) nothing happened on the playfield...so I turned it off after a few seconds being afraid I'd fry something.
And yes, the machine made a "bzzzzz" ing sound when I turned it on...
I also had both blinking and steady LED's on the boards...i dont remember which one had what but I can figure it out soon.

When I turned the machine on yesterday at the sellers house, it took 15-20 sec before the display lit up...???!!! is that normal for Gottlieb machines?? like I said guys, i have a bunch of other pinball machines but this is my first Gottlieb...but i guess the setup is pretty much the same...

Right now the machine is totally stripped down for cleaning, you cant imagine how dirty it is...
But after that I'll tell you guys about what is blinking where, and I hope someone could be so kind to guide me like "step-by-step" of how I can work my way around with my multimeter....as I'm not so good with that stuff

Thanks again guys for your input, I'll keep you posted.

Paul

#9 8 years ago

Ok gents.
Machine has now been properly cleaned, and I started it up again, and this is what happens:
All GI lid up, backbox and playfield + three boards in the backbox has a blinking LED (red squares)
the board with the black square has a solid LED

Still no inserts lights or dmd...

Any ideas???

hghg.jpghghg.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Is the rom in tight?

#11 8 years ago

Reseat all your ribbon cables.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from F348:

Ok gents.
Machine has now been properly cleaned, and I started it up again, and this is what happens:
All GI lid up, backbox and playfield + three boards in the backbox has a blinking LED (red squares)
the board with the black square has a solid LED
Still no inserts lights or dmd...
Any ideas???

hghg.jpg

It would seem to me it's the U8Gal Chip on the DMD Board in the upper right. That light should be blinking. That chip should be socketed. You can order a new one from Pinball Resource. It's a programmable chip and the cost is probably $15-$20 from Pinball Resource. Its the chip on the right side middle of the board with that white label. That should resolve that problem.

#13 8 years ago

@ Chicoman (or others)
I've been looking at a few video clips and read some about my issue...so it sounds like you're onto something here..so it wont hurt to try
however, i did a search on Pinball Resource...but they seemed very complicated to deal with as they don't accept credit card or any on-line payments
Do you know if anybody else might have this chip in stock (AND are willing to accept paypal) ??
I live in Norway btw

#14 8 years ago

Be sure that you remove the fuses to check them. I had a Freddy that was acting similar. Turned out to be a bad 12V bridge rectifier. If you check fuse F6 and its blown, replace it. If it blows again immediately, the bridge rectifier is bad.

Another thing to check are the game over and tilt relays just to the right of the transformer panel. If you moved the game, maybe one of them got stuck engaged.

Also, Gottleib system 3s are funny when the battery is low. Seen them just beep when turned on, just have GI, or be completely dead. It's cheap and easy to repair.

Just a few things to look at.

#15 8 years ago

Problem solved gents

It was soooo simple really, the machine had only 4.3 volts....and I turned the "wheel" up to 5.1 volts and now it plays perfectly...apart from the launch ball coil, which dosent work...and I knew that when I bought the machine...is it an easy fix too?? coil is not burned/melted...
I need a new A-19300 coil on the "back kick" as it has melted the plastic inside, so if I trigger it I might blow something on the board...so thats an easy fix.
Hope I can get some inputs about the launch ball coil.....as it's much more fun to play with the glass on

Thanks everyone for their opinions i really appreciate it.

2 weeks later
#16 8 years ago

I think I may be facing a similar issue.

Which leads on the pot told you the correct voltage?

Which way do you turn to go up or down on the voltage?

Thanks!

#17 8 years ago

Argh, turns out one of my cables between the boards was undone. I did just use a multimeter and kept the black wire against a screw holding a board to the back panel and a red lead on one of the potentiometer (R3) to the right most lead and watched the voltage change as I moved the dial. The board was able to provide 4.7~ish volts which was fine to run the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-issueplease-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.