0229201022c_HDR (resized).jpg
0229201021 (resized).jpg
0229201021b_HDR (resized).jpg
0229201021a_HDR (resized).jpg
0229201021d_HDR (resized).jpg
0229201021c_HDR (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey all,
I have the opportunity to pick up a SMB Arcade machine. I really have very little info other than the owner believes it's in good shape except for the display. From what I'm told the machine plays for a bit, then the display bugs out somehow.

Worth pursuing? If so, what might be a fair/good deal for a general offer? I realize I'm giving very little info but I don't have any really.

Thanks for any input.

#2 4 years ago

Bump.

#3 4 years ago

Monitor is going to need a rebuild. Odds are it’s a Sanyo 20ez monitor which are work horses once they are gone through fixed and dialed in. They are a pain in the ass to work on through.

#4 4 years ago

What sort of cabinet is it in?

For me this would make a difference if it’s a Nintendo cabinet or some kind of conversation.

#5 4 years ago

It could be a board issue, rather than a monitor issue. It depends on what "bugs out" means.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Hey all,
I have the opportunity to pick up a SMB Arcade machine. I really have very little info other than the owner believes it's in good shape except for the display. From what I'm told the machine plays for a bit, then the display bugs out somehow.
Worth pursuing? If so, what might be a fair/good deal for a general offer? I realize I'm giving very little info but I don't have any really.
Thanks for any input.

It is certainly worth pursuing.
Has he offered any pics or thrown out any price whatsoever?

#7 4 years ago

It was behind a ton of garage stuff but I'll be able to see it soon. Looked like a dark colored cab, but im not certain.

As to price, he thought Maybe around $200. We haven't negotiated obviously, but figured I'd see if it's even worth looking in to.

Thanks for the feedback!

#9 4 years ago

For 200 bucks I dont see how you could go wrong grabbing it. Really fun game especially with two people.

#10 4 years ago

OP said Super Mario, which would be the harder arcade version of the NES game. Definitely worth grabbing.

#11 4 years ago

That first one is a standard Mario Brothers which is a wide body.
I doubt it's going to be that as he said Super Mario Brothers.

Most likely something like the second, a players choice 10 or some other cabinet or perhaps a conversion.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

It was behind a ton of garage stuff but I'll be able to see it soon. Looked like a dark colored cab, but im not certain.
As to price, he thought Maybe around $200. We haven't negotiated obviously, but figured I'd see if it's even worth looking in to.
Thanks for the feedback!

Is it a Mario Bros arcade, or a Playchoice-10 that's basically a Nes in an arcade cabinet with 2 screens that could run Super Mario Bros (the Nes version).

In both cases 200$ is a good price, then it can be an Ali Baba cavern type of thing either if the Mario Bros PCB is an original one or if there are some rare games loaded in the Playchoice 10.

If you can get pictures of the cabinet and the pcb it will help telling you what it is exactly.

#13 4 years ago

I would guess a VS. cab with a Super Mario board and marquee. Let's see some pix!

#14 4 years ago

Sanyo monitors aren’t hard to repair. It’s usually just a good ole “cap job”. Sometimes you’ll need an RU-2 diode for vertical collapse. The hard thing is that the chassis doesn’t remove all the way from the tube so you have limited work space. If by “bugs out” the seller means something like loss of vertical hold, there’s a bipolar cap (maybe 2.2uF 25V? ((I think it’s C201??)) been a while since I’ve worked on one) that’s the culprit. Common issue. Surprisingly the flybacks and horizontal circuits were seldom and issue. Nintendo CPUs were actually pretty reliable. I can’t remember having to repair very many and I’m basing all this as a kid that grew up in the 80s when my pops probably had 200 Nintendo cabinets on the route.

#15 4 years ago

Ryan, thanks. That was going to be my next question.

Force, I don't remember it looking like either of those. Of course, I could only see about 15% of it, so take that for what it's worth.

Based upon an image search, and my failing memory, I'll say I "think" it's a vs.

Also, the wife thought it had a few different games, the husband said no it didnt. Both seemed adamant.

I'll hopefully be able to update this soon with more info. Maybe a few days.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

That first one is a standard Mario Brothers which is a wide body.
I doubt it's going to be that as he said Super Mario Brothers.

Sometimes folks automatically refer to the game name as "super mario brothers" regardless of what version it actually is, since that's generally the most well known name for the game series. Even the movie was called "super mario brothers". So, if the game's name came from an unknowledgeable owner, there's a possibility that it could be one of the other titles.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sometimes folks automatically refer to the game name as "super mario brothers" regardless of what version it actually is, since that's generally the most well known name for the game series. Even the movie was called "super mario brothers". So, if the game's name came from an unknowledgeable owner, there's a possibility that it could be one of the other titles.

In this case, the owner pointed out the marquee. It was a little dark, and about 15 feet away, so I could barely make it out, but pretty certain it was a Super.

Watch, it'll turn out to be something entirely different!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

In this case, the owner pointed out the marquee. It was a little dark, and about 15 feet away, so I could barely make it out, but pretty certain it was a Super.

LOL, post some pics when you get a chance to dig it out of there.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Mario Bros marquee has the heads of mario and luigi on each side. Vs Super Mario Bros marquee looks like a level of super mario bros and are usually extremely faded in color. Nintendo Vs upright cabs are typically converted Donkey Kong, Popeye, Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros cabinets. If its grey and a slightly different profile cab with a different style coin door, it is a dedicated vs cab but these are far far less common. In fully working order and decent cosmetic condition, Vs machines go for $400-$600. $200 would be a good deal. The monitor likely needs rebuilt, but you might get lucky and it only needs to be adjusted.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Mario Bros marquee has the heads of mario and luigi on each side. Vs Super Mario Bros marquee looks like a level of super mario bros and are usually extremely faded in color. Nintendo Vs upright cabs are typically converted Donkey Kong, Popeye, Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros cabinets. If its grey and a slightly different profile cab with a different style coin door, it is a dedicated vs cab but these are far far less common. In fully working order and decent cosmetic condition, Vs machines go for $400-$600. $200 would be a good deal. The monitor likely needs rebuilt, but you might get lucky and it only needs to be adjusted.

Sounds like $100 would be a better bet?

I'm going to piss someone off I'm certain, but would an LCD conversion be cheaper?

Strike that, let me see what's going on before I bastardize this bad boy!

#21 4 years ago

Fix the monitor, it's not difficult and if you want, there's plenty of people that will fix it for you. If you swap it out, you're not playing Super Mario Bros, you're playing a delayed version of SMB that will look worse.

If you insist on swapping to an LCD, hang onto the monitor, so that the next person can fix it and put it back in.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Could be super breakout or something

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Sounds like $100 would be a better bet?
I'm going to piss someone off I'm certain, but would an LCD conversion be cheaper?
Strike that, let me see what's going on before I bastardize this bad boy!

Cheaper yes, or at least easier that's for sure. Kosher ? Clearly no, it's a sacrilege to not try your best at rescuing a vintage arcade cabinet !

#24 4 years ago

Ok, saw the machine today. Looks very different than I remember! Anyway, the screen is working, as is sound. The cab is super rough. It's a vs. Super Mario Bros.

I think I'm going to pass, but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll pass you along before it gets posted. He's asking 200 - 250.

Here are some pics.

0229201021 (resized).jpg0229201021 (resized).jpg0229201021_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021a_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021a_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021b_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021b_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021c_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021c_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021d_HDR (resized).jpg0229201021d_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022 (resized).jpg0229201022 (resized).jpg0229201022_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022a_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022a_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022b_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022b_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022c_HDR (resized).jpg0229201022c_HDR (resized).jpg
#25 4 years ago

That's not bad. I've seen a lot worse.

Thanks for sharing

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Ok, saw the machine today. Looks very different than I remember! Anyway, the screen is working, as is sound. The cab is super rough. It's a vs. Super Mario Bros.
I think I'm going to pass, but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll pass you along before it gets posted. He's asking 200 - 250.
Here are some pics.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would buy it instantly if it were near me.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I would buy it instantly if it were near me.

So would I. Most of those VS cabs are in similar shape. Doesn’t look to have any water damage. A Brad nailer and you’re back in business. Easy sell down the road for a profit too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-brothers-arcade-inquiry?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.