(Topic ID: 258546)

Super Mario Bros. - reset Castle progress and adjust quick shot value?

By Rudy99

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191231_131911785 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191231_131915509 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191231_131921670 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Greetings. For Gottlieb's 1992 Super Mario Bros. table, just wondering if in the machine's settings if there's a way to have the Castle progression set back to Castle 1 at the end of each game and also if there's a way to change the value of the left ramp's quick shot bonus so that it isn't abusable as hell? These are two big issues with the game's software imo but if they can be adjusted in the machine's settings, takes from the game from being a 6/10 to an 8/10 imo

#2 4 years ago

It looks like you can set it to tournament mode which awards the same # of points for each castle completed, which sounds like it comes close to what you are looking for. There's also a quick shot bonus maximum setting, hopefully that does the trick. Here's some quick snapshots of the pages for the adjustments in the manual.

IMG_20191231_131911785 (resized).jpgIMG_20191231_131911785 (resized).jpgIMG_20191231_131915509 (resized).jpgIMG_20191231_131915509 (resized).jpgIMG_20191231_131921670 (resized).jpgIMG_20191231_131921670 (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the info herbertbsharp! Per operator instructions I'm assuming what it means by the fine-tune setting is that you can set each specific thing listed to a Normal or Hard setting, you don't just have to set the overall machine to Hard to change one setting if that's what you want to do.

Tournament mode I have mixed feelings about. It kind of does what I want it regarding Castle progression and i like that it disables Auto-skill and Catchup (which funnily enough became main and still VERY controversial features of the Mario Kart series), but I'd prefer that Castle progression is saved for each specific player and once that player gets a game over it resets their progression back to Castle 1.

Not sure how I feel about Bonus Chance always being 1 million and Mystery always being a shell. Randomness of rewards is a feature of a lot of tables, only change I would really want to see in these two regards is just removing the chance of getting Lucky 7's since that can be competition breaking.

If I ever own this table I'd probably just set Quick Shot to Hard so it's max value doesn't go above 7 million (even then it's still quite abusable but not as insanely abusable as before), disable Tournament mode for casual competition and enable it if money was on the line lol. I wonder if there's a way to disable it entirely not listed in the manual?

#4 4 years ago

You also cannot turn off extra balls which is really annoying. This game is just not suited for tournaments.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You also cannot turn off extra balls which is really annoying. This game is just not suited for tournaments.

Yeah, I've never seen or read of this table being used at any tournament anywhere. It's a machine designed for casual play (I do but don't want to say it's designed specifically for kids because it has a ton of features requiring skill) and it's VERY novice friendly, given that extra balls are easy to get, you get tons of kickbacks, SUPERs for an up-post, Invincibilities where you simply cannot drain, etc. etc.

It really is the Mario Kart of pinball machines lol

#6 4 years ago

I used it in my bi-monthly tournaments for almost a year. Let’s just say I was glad when it was replaced. Haha

1 month later
#7 4 years ago

From watching youtube videos of the table, it looks like maybe powering off and powering the table back on causes the castle progress to go back to zero castles destroyed? Would doing that after every game put a strain on the battery or screw up the machine in any way?

Also i wonder if enabling "Add a ball" mode for the table would have any effect. Unfortunately I don't own the table so I have no way of experimenting with different adjustments and modes. If i did own the table, first thing i would do would be to immediately adjust the quickshot setting so that it's on Hard and max value is 5 million (Hard for quickshot also disables quickshot's extra ball bonus).

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

if u have it in novelty it does not award extra balls or specials.
also, just disconnect the right in lane so you cant do quick shot.

with both of the above, it works in tourneys. we have used it a few times in tourneys like this and its fine.
like this, it makes a player have to go for multiballs and choose a few modes that score well to go for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-bros-reset-castle-progress-and-adjust-quick-shot-value?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.