This is my first machine but I hope it is not my last. I always wanted a pinball machine, all the lights and figures, they were little dioramas that you could play. My wife had a couple growing up at her house and my children always enjoy playing them at their grandparents house.
I have a real problem leaving well enough alone and this exhibits that.
I picked up the machine for relatively cheap, The cabinet was and is a little rough and it was filthy. The guy I bought it from had it next to his intake for his HVAC system, so dirty air was being pulled across it constantly. I took everything apart as best I could without completely removing everything. I am beyond handy, I renovated a few old houses and cars. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, Novus 2, and eventually waxed it was some Carnuba. I did the usual thing, I replaced all the bumpers and went a little crazy with LEDs from Comet. They are all 2 SMD LEDs and 8 SMD flashers along with several LED strips and opti-max bulbs. I made a big mistake cleaning the glass, I used a razor and put a few big scratches on it. Not happy.
I trimmed out the sticker around Yoshi on the ramp, I thought it looked better. The thing that I thought was the nicest addition was the change out of Bowser's Castle from the clear plastic blue castle to what I have done. That is a 3 to 4 inch transition piece of plumbing PVC. I chopped the bottom of it off a little bit, cut in the bricks on the top, and used a Dremel to make the joints in the stone. I put in a clear piece of plexiglass for Bowser to stand on and roughed it up with some 400 grit sandpaper. It looks really neat because there is a purple LED strip under it. I also made my own warp pipe covers as opposed to buying those on eBay, those were inch and a quarter pieces of PVC. In addition, I cut out my own mirror pin blades with a six dollar dorm mirror that I got from Walmart. I had made a template of the sides with construction paper and blue painters tape. It took a couple tries, don't get me wrong. I used a diamond wheel on the Dremel. I put a red filter on the DMD and added some figures I got off of eBay.its all double sided tape so there are no non-removeable changes.
The cabinet still needs touch up work. I am a decent artist, so I went to work with my acrylics that I have done OK. I have decided that I'm going to skin it in vinyl when I can. The legs were nasty, so I took the wire wheel to it and then painted them flat black. I also bought Cliffiy's hole protectors, that set comes with four but I only used two as the other holes are drop holes and were in fine shape. I painted those with some rust-oleum and so far so good.
I think that's it, I will try to post some additional pictures. I learned a lot from reading the forums, and from another local pinside member in my town, so I thank you all.