New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 135439)

Super Mario Bros. modifications. LEDs, homemade mirror pin blades,castle, tubes.

By KnoxPins

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinchild
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20191125-204709_Messages (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191125-204704_Messages (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191125-204649_Messages (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191124-205525_Messages (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191124-205519_Messages (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191124-205534_Messages (resized).jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_7.jpg
image_6.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello All,

This is my first machine but I hope it is not my last. I always wanted a pinball machine, all the lights and figures, they were little dioramas that you could play. My wife had a couple growing up at her house and my children always enjoy playing them at their grandparents house.

I have a real problem leaving well enough alone and this exhibits that.

I picked up the machine for relatively cheap, The cabinet was and is a little rough and it was filthy. The guy I bought it from had it next to his intake for his HVAC system, so dirty air was being pulled across it constantly. I took everything apart as best I could without completely removing everything. I am beyond handy, I renovated a few old houses and cars. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, Novus 2, and eventually waxed it was some Carnuba. I did the usual thing, I replaced all the bumpers and went a little crazy with LEDs from Comet. They are all 2 SMD LEDs and 8 SMD flashers along with several LED strips and opti-max bulbs. I made a big mistake cleaning the glass, I used a razor and put a few big scratches on it. Not happy.

I trimmed out the sticker around Yoshi on the ramp, I thought it looked better. The thing that I thought was the nicest addition was the change out of Bowser's Castle from the clear plastic blue castle to what I have done. That is a 3 to 4 inch transition piece of plumbing PVC. I chopped the bottom of it off a little bit, cut in the bricks on the top, and used a Dremel to make the joints in the stone. I put in a clear piece of plexiglass for Bowser to stand on and roughed it up with some 400 grit sandpaper. It looks really neat because there is a purple LED strip under it. I also made my own warp pipe covers as opposed to buying those on eBay, those were inch and a quarter pieces of PVC. In addition, I cut out my own mirror pin blades with a six dollar dorm mirror that I got from Walmart. I had made a template of the sides with construction paper and blue painters tape. It took a couple tries, don't get me wrong. I used a diamond wheel on the Dremel. I put a red filter on the DMD and added some figures I got off of eBay.its all double sided tape so there are no non-removeable changes.

The cabinet still needs touch up work. I am a decent artist, so I went to work with my acrylics that I have done OK. I have decided that I'm going to skin it in vinyl when I can. The legs were nasty, so I took the wire wheel to it and then painted them flat black. I also bought Cliffiy's hole protectors, that set comes with four but I only used two as the other holes are drop holes and were in fine shape. I painted those with some rust-oleum and so far so good.

I think that's it, I will try to post some additional pictures. I learned a lot from reading the forums, and from another local pinside member in my town, so I thank you all.

image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_6.jpg
image_7.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Here is the castle.. As pvc.

And the repairs to one drop hole before the Cliffy's were installed.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

#3 5 years ago

I think that looks pretty cool. The "clown puke" really goes with the theme I think.

Only thing you need to change is the left tube from yellow to green and youre set!

Let me know if you ever want to sell, still looking for a decent priced SMB.

#4 5 years ago

I'm curious as to what clown puke is.

I repainted that tube yellow, I kind of like it but I understand your feelings about the green.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from KnoxPins:

I'm curious as to what clown puke is.
I repainted that tube yellow, I kind of like it but I understand your feelings about the green.

Clown puke is what the elders here call it when you led color match the hell out of a machine.

There are some purists here who dont like LEDs to be anything more than warm or cool white.

Like I said, it works for this game, I like it.

#6 5 years ago

For me, I always want the game well lit, and when you do a game like this, it's very hard to see any of the games art since the colored LEDs wash out all the colors.

#7 5 years ago

I have two little kids that love to play so appropriate themes and clown puke works for us.

I don't even mind the disparaging terms, I value true opinions more so than anything else.

I'm the only one that'll play in the darkest of night, and I dig it.

#8 5 years ago

My wife's Super Mario Bros is full LED and colour matched where appropriate. I think the big thing when photographing your game is to remove the glass. The reflections are harsh in pics. If you have a camera that can use filters, get a circular-polarized filter. The glass will disappear.

Instead of a PVC castle, I just thought of this : get a dead Skylanders portal. It's the same size IIRC, has a translucent deck, and could be hollowed out (remove the electronics) to mount it...

I received my cliffy's last week for Mario. Not really looking forward to installing them. And my better half bought the mario themed pinblades.

#9 5 years ago

Zenador, make that castle! I want to see it. That'd be nice.

#10 5 years ago

If we hadn't just sold off all our Skylanders stuff I might have just done that...

#11 5 years ago

Looks great! Personally, I wouldn't repaint the pipe green, since this machine is based off of Super Mario World and that game has plenty of yellow pipes along with green ones. The castle you made looks pretty nice, definitely better than the original!

#12 5 years ago

Thanks! I thought and thought about the castle.

2 months later
#13 5 years ago

thank you...now i miss my recently sold SMB.....

3 years later
#14 1 year ago

I've got a project SMB Pinball of my very own now and I'm a huge fan of the lighting you've done. I think it really makes the colors pop!
By any chance would you still have the exact lighting quantities/types that you installed, so I could duplicate your good work?

3 months later
#15 1 year ago

I agree very nice work.
I also go a big fixer upper.

The rust is everywhere!

Do I touchup cabinet?

Any ideas guys?

Screenshot_20191124-205519_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191124-205525_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191124-205534_Messages (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

I rescued it from rustland.

Check out the screws.

Has anyone felt with this much before?

Are screws and metal salvageable?

HELP!

Screenshot_20191125-204649_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191125-204704_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191125-204709_Messages (resized).jpg
#17 1 year ago

I like your topper
Save time, get rid of all the rusted screws and nails, get new ones, save only those you can't find. Sand /paint the side rails.
Your playfield does not look bad, get a new decals set and it will become much better.
But worst maybe inside...

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

I like your topper
Save time, get rid of all the rusted screws and nails, get new ones, save only those you can't find. Sand /paint the side rails.
Your playfield does not look bad, get a new decals set and it will become much better.

Inside is not to bad.

I'm soaking rusty legs in Evapo Rust right now.

I have a friend who is an artist and wants to touchup art on cabinet.

I think I'll remove siderails and get new ones from Pi nball Resource. Screws I'm going to soak and tumble then post pictures.

Thanks for your response.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

I like your topper

For $500 for this hot mess I think I'm going to be happy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Olive Branch, MS
$ 249.00
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 999.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9.99
Tools
PinShield
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside