• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

670px-Solve-a-Series-Circuit-Step-2Bullet4.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bishop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

After leaving my power supply board out of my TMNT, I finally put it back in today and the burning smell that emerged after a few seconds was very noticeable. No smoke, just a smell. Turned it off and felt around for any hit wires etc... Noticed the black capacitor was super hot. After leaving it off for an hour and a bit, I checked that same capacitor. It had cooled down. Turned it back on and starting getting really hot straight away. Should I just replace it or would there be an underlying issue?
(It's below the brown ones, to the left of the blue ones)image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Bump

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for that.

#7 9 years ago

The board was out because I was using it on my lethal weapon 3 as that one had stopped working. I used it until I received my other one just to finish working on it. Then left it in the new power supply box until I finished my LW3, Buccaneer and SF2. 6 months total. Always worked and never had an issue. No work has been done to this board.

#9 9 years ago

I'll buy all new caps tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for all your help.

#10 9 years ago

So I've pulled off the power supply. The cap doesn't look swollen at all. What has me a little concerned are the two white things right beside it. I don't know what they are called. There seems to be charring on the edges. I also think that should have been a single unit like its neighbour as there isn't a hole for the centre leads. What do you think?image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 9 years ago

So does R14 need to match R15. Do the OHMS make a difference too?

#13 9 years ago

The reason why I'm asking about the OHMS is because my local electronics store sells 10W 470 OHMS.

#16 9 years ago

Sorry. You guys. Forgot what wayout440 mentioned. 4KOHMS. Thanks for all your help and info. Greatly appreciated.

#19 9 years ago

So the closest resistor that i can find is a 4.7k 10w. Is this good to use or not? Had a look at Marco to see if I could ship one here to Oz but it's the same that I can get here. Anywhere else I can look that will ship to Oz?

#21 9 years ago

I thought so but where would I be able to purchase one?

#22 9 years ago

Found some on eBay in your neck of the woods. Now to find a 150 cap!

2 weeks later
#24 9 years ago

Ok. So I changed the cap. That's fine. I changed the resistors to the single 4k. Now still a burning smell and both resistors are super hot! What next! My DMD isn't working. I checked that at a friends place and it works in his Hook. So the DMD is fine. Obviously a connection of sorts. On his power supply, he too is running the 2 resistors as I had. Was this an after game mod?

#25 9 years ago

Bump

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 1.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bishop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-hot-capacitor-after-5-secs-of-power-on?tu=Bishop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.