(Topic ID: 108383)

Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode...club?

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr_Gonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141103_180728_resized.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

1.5 hours, 530m, almost 4 years of trying, everything factory, hardest thing to complete in pinball - DONE!

I've been close, but Mystery Spot and Scratchy's Revenge, both having to be beat not just started, have always have been the achilles heel.

Today, I f'ing rolled that machine. I was making everything I went for. AI, which I now get to 60-70% of the time, and beat half of the time, was destroyed 2, 3, 4, then 5 drained, all in line, didn't have to go back at all. Never done that before. Daredevil, hurry ups, obviously the easy ones. Nailed one super in the first couch MB, then the last 4 in the second. In the mix, started Mystery Spot, but did bad, figured that was it on that.

Having four of the six needed, I had been slowly picking off otto shots and the relight, and was all of a sudden nearing starting that again, and noticed Scratch was ready to go. It was there where I thought, holy shit, I have a shot here, but again, two hardest things, and both needed to be won.

The 2x scoring timed out as I was going to start scratchy, which if a bad bounce came out of there, I was done. Started Scratchy, they MS was lit, started that, and thought again, oh my, this lining up was perfect as I knew you have to hit all PF shots to win each, now I have to only do that once with more balls!!

I destroyed that, and at one point knew I hit them all, and saw the professor confirm that MS was done, but Scratchy's wasn't, and I couldn't see what I needed still to finish it, as I thought it was only all the shots. I read after you have to hit the I&S hole to complete it, but at the time I didn't know, but with all the balls, it obviously happened, and boom Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode got displayed. Woozers! My wife thought I had won the lottery downstairs... I never thought I would get this.

I did ok in that, but as when I finally got to Valinor, I was overwhelmed by getting there, I didn't really notice what I had to do, but I did manage to rack up some good points. After that was done, I have never played as relaxed... ahhhh.

Got another extra ball through this somehow (I believe 65 treehouse shots or soemthing), but realized I was close to Pretzel, so started that, which lead to a I&S and couch all getting stacked at once, and about 70m quick in under 3 min. Did a third MS to boot before finally draining out at 530m.

VERY happy tonight wasn't sure if I would ever see this, and unlike Valinor before I beat that, I had been close there many times, but with the SDMEWM, I was always scratchys and MS from it, which is farther than it seems. Not sure I could have done this if the stars were not aligned with both those being ready at the same time (highly unlikely) and getting stacked.

20141103_180728_resized.jpg20141103_180728_resized.jpg

#5 9 years ago

It has the allows you shoot the skill shot until you hit a switch save, but that is factory isn't it? My friend's TSPP's have that as well, and I had put new roms in when getting it, and never added it.

#9 9 years ago

I'm still pumped. Highland Park 25 and Talisker 25 in the same night to celebrate, never done that before either!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Wow. LOL, I own TSPP and terribly suck. My high score is around 25 million and I've owned for a little under 6 months. Congrats! (and for the record, I've owned LOTR nearly 2 years and have only been to TABA once so I basically suck all around...but, hey, I have fun!)

Just a little tip (not that I'm the guy that should be giving them by any means) but friends of mine that seem to not get to some of the main stuff on any of their machines I have noticed don't do a few key and easy but more advanced things, you may fall into this, and if so, once changed, makes a WORLD of difference:

1. They don't hold balls on one flipper in MB.
2. They don't do dead flipper passes.

Both open a world of control up, along many other types of passes and strategies, but IMO, these two are by far the most important. To a lesser extent, post transfers, and while these are important in some games, I find I don't even need them at all in other machines.

I'm interested to hear your comments on this, and if this rings true for you. If so, I would strongly suggest working on both of these things, as they aren't hard by any means, and a few years back when I started getting this, my abilities clearly went up exponentially.

By the way, if you have reached TTBA, which isn't easy (seems like it should be, basically start a 7th mode...), I'm guessing you have also beaten likely many times TTT. You have probably beaten or been close to beating Fellowship MB, but may not have beaten ROTK. If so, you are closer than you think to getting to Valinor.

ROTK MB is by far the hardest thing to do there, always always always shoot the left orbit with balls coming in from the right inlane and jack the souls to start this MB as soon as you can. As well, I don't recommend the pinbits protector that guides the ball from the POTD to the left habitrail. This cuts souls away from it dropping into the shire. Instead, use their plastic protectors set that sandwiches the Arwen plastic. I question if anyone that has been to Valinor has that guide, it's too big of a block for the hardest objective.

The Valinor objectives are not as hard on their own to achieve, but the timing of everything to get to Valinor is the tough part. I have been on the doorstep many times, and but lacked one small thing prior to completing a DTR, and despite having all of the objectives complete shortly after, just not having enough juice left to grind through another 3 main MB's to get back, as it this point, I've usually done DTR 2-3 times already anyway (again, even starting ROTK is the main roadblock more times than not).

One thing I can tell you is you have to have a plan with these machines. I have been really working hard at trying to beat TSPP for a year now. My last best score was 367, and I was close, but still only got to Scratchy's Revenge, and didn't beat MS. The one thing I can take away from last night that is HUGE is to keep both of those ready until the other is lit, as they both require the same shots, and you do it will all 5 balls if you can. That is literally massive for completing the two hardest objectives. If you are interesting, when I beat this, I posted it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/valinor-club

Anyway, sorry for the runaway post... I'm still on a high here. My wife is getting a little sick of hearing "excuse me, you are addressing a Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode player, show some respect!"

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Congrats! That quite a feat. Now that you have finally done it, do you have any desire to go back and play the game again anytime soon?

You eff'ing betcha!

The only game I was ever like that with was with RBION. With LOTR and now TSPP, winning was great, but you are so overwhelmed by getting there, you don't take full advantage of the huge points, and cool MB that is at the end. I cashed out a lot of jackpots and the rotating shot in the SDMEWM, but I didn't get a ball to the couch to cash out any 2x or more for 3x everything, which for the rotating jackpot, would have been insane. Same with Valinor, I didn't do much when there as well. Ever since reaching Valinor, all I’ve wanted to do is get back to it again. It doesn’t take anything away at all IMO.

So now the goal is to get back and really try to exploit what there is to do there. But sights are also on completing the KI, or even at least grinding through the WPT Championship, which you have done of course, one of the few I have seen.

Keith Johnson has really done so much with his rules. I get these epic rule sets aren't for everyone, but having something next to impossible to strive for really makes for the longevity of the home use machines.

Hats off to Keefer!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Nicely done wizard. Do you have any explanation as to the goals once you get there? I've only really seen the one video online and he was able to keep it going by hitting Bart and adding a ball or something? There doesn't seem to be a good writeup about it anywhere. I'd like to know what to do once I get there

I recall it went through an "everything maxed" kind of count down of stuff, like TZ and other games in the wizard. I don't recall anything about the captive shot (bart).

I don't even watch vids off final modes until I get there, or even read the rules. I only read what was needed for the SDMEWM a while back, as the display puzzle thing was hard to make out, and I needed a little help, but I generally stay away from rulesheets and stuff unless I'm really stuck or I have got to the final.

I like the adventure of figuring it out =)

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Nice! 1.5 hours is a massive amount of time for one game.
I'm not in the club ... yet.

My top score on LOTR is 894m and I did not make Valinor, which was almost 300m over my prior high where I got to Valinor, but this 894m game took I believe over two hours.

It flies though, you must recall that, I know you had some good scores in that and TSPP. They don't seem like you have been playing that long. It's like a good action movie, 1.5 hours already?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Can you help me understand mystery spot super jackpot.
I follow that it's hit all Otto x2 shots but after I see the DMD telling me to hit mystery spot but Otto doesn't award it, I was lost till the ball drained

No sorry, that was the first time I believe I have beat that. I know it's all the 2x shots, but I can't say what happens next. Again, I had this and Scratchy's Revenge loaded up, and although I know I hit all PF shots, I wasn't sure what I hit after this (likely most again), so in that I likely hit the I&S hole again to finish SR, and the mystery hole, if that was it, to finish MS, but I can't say if that was for sure or not.

It was a little hard at this time to pay any attention to reading the DMD

#25 9 years ago

I never noticed this, but again it was hard to read while I was jumping around and screaming like a little girl.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 12.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Decals
Gotfrogs
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
7,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fallston, MD
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-duper-mega-extreme-wizard-modeclub?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.