Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by russdx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cluelessnessdemotivator.jpg

#1 4 years ago

testing the stuff on my pinball machine.. can I just take off the glass and close the door and take my finger or a pinball and bank it off the slingshot to see if it comes up in test mode? or like push down one of the drop targets or like run my finger or ball over a button or whatever to see if it comes up on test screen? Like am i going to electrocute myself and die? or more importantly am I going to ruin the pinball machine testing stuff that way?

#2 4 years ago

Take the glass off and then you’ll be able to test switches. You should be ok, there should be no high voltage on the playfield as long as there is no major issue/damage

There are no dumb questions, usually pinside is quick to help

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

testing the stuff on my pinball machine.. can I just take off the glass and close the door and take my finger or a pinball and bank it off the slingshot to see if it comes up in test mode? or like push down one of the drop targets or like run my finger or ball over a button or whatever to see if it comes up on test screen? Like am i going to electrocute myself and die? or more importantly am I going to ruin the pinball machine testing stuff that way?

Totally understandable when you’re new to the hobby! The high voltage stuff can be scary. It’s mostly CYA stuff. I’ve yet to electrocute myself and I’ve done things that are definitely NOT manufacturer recommended

#4 4 years ago

Ditto what Coz said. And if you are still unsure, watch any TNT Amusements videos on YouTube. It’s pretty much all Todd does when he’s showing you a game and it’s features. Plus they’re entertaining!

#5 4 years ago

you might poop your pants
    depending on if you are testing in game or in test mode, sling and pop bumpers may still fire

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you might poop your pants
    depending on if you are testing in game or in test mode, sling and pop bumpers may still fire

Very true, nothing like checking something during game mode and trying to concentrate on something and it goes into a ball search. First time that happened I had to take a shower and change clothes. Will never do that again

#8 4 years ago

Use common sense when touching things on the playfield. You may only be touching a switch, but that my fire a ball kicker, up kicker, or motor which has the potential to cause injury. Use a ball to test things that fling the ball, and not your finger.

#9 4 years ago

the quickness of your guys replies is absolutely amazing!!! thank you so much. I actually did watch those tnt videos and ya he has the glass off and hes throwing the ball around like a maniac, but at the same time i thought maybe he has it in some other mode that I dont know about yet. ok so be ready for super loud sounds and then probably use the ball for a lot of it so i dont hurt myself. thanks so much guys!!!!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

the quickness of your guys replies is absolutely amazing!!! thank you so much. I actually did watch those tnt videos and ya he has the glass off and hes throwing the ball around like a maniac, but at the same time i thought maybe he has it in some other mode that I dont know about yet. ok so be ready for super loud sounds and then probably use the ball for a lot of it so i dont hurt myself. thanks so much guys!!!!

There’s no different “safe” mode like you’re talking about - unless you have a game from the mid 90s or newer, and the game will (er, should, assuming nobody prior to you did anything funny) have the high powered stuff turned off when the Coin Door is open. But If you closed that door, they will fire even if the glass is off! Older games just fire away!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Only 1 way to learn and that’s to get hands on- the more you work and play on your pins, the more you’ll gain knowledge and understanding of how they work

#12 4 years ago

oh ya i do know about the coin door thing and it does announce to me when I open the door that the high voltage is off now and a Cow moos!!! its pretty sweet. but my plan is to leave the door closed so i can still flip the flippers and have the ball bounce off all the high voltage devices too right?

#13 4 years ago

The nice thing is your question isn't even in the running for super-duper-dumb-question of the day.

Yours is a good question. If you don't know, a wise man asks.

The not so wise call my tech support number or email me.

You'll do fine. You are in the wise group.

LTG : )

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

but my plan is to leave the door closed so i can still flip the flippers and have the ball bounce off all the high voltage devices too right?

That is fine. Just don't change lights, switches, anything with the power on.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The not so wise call my tech support number or email me

Probably after they really messed something up thinking they knew what they were doing I assume?

#16 4 years ago

Good on you for asking man. Glad I didn’t see anyone here being an asshole.

I haven’t posted in awhile but glad to see LTG is still being the amazing rockstar he is! Miss you buddy! Gonna try to make it to expo and get my 2019 mug to add to the collection!!!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Probably after they really messed something up thinking they knew what they were doing I assume?

Not always. Sometimes before. Then they don't follow my advice. Then call screaming when they forged ahead with their own fix.

You haven't lived until that phone rings and you pick it up.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Gonna try to make it to expo and get my 2019 mug to add to the collection!!!

I hope so. It will be nice to mug you again.

#19 4 years ago

We have all been there. The difference is, you were smart, and brave enough, to ask.

Good on this thread for keeping things the way they should be. This makes me proud to be a pinsider.

#20 4 years ago

That's how I get all my high scores

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

can I just take off the glass and close the door and take my finger or a pinball and bank it off the slingshot

get all my high scores this way...doesn't everyone?

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

The worst thing that will happen is when you're testing a VUK, trip the switch and get smacked in the finger with the plunger thereby scaring the crap out of yourself.

#23 4 years ago

Press and hold one of the flipper buttons if you want to keep the ball search from going offf every 5 seconds or so..

#25 4 years ago

Also, depending on your personal “touch” there can be a difference between your manual manipulation and what happens when the ball does the action. For some things, like rollover wire switches, you could actually misalign the switch if you are too ham-fisted. I like to use the ball to do the testing for this reason.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

#26 4 years ago

what machine is it? I'm pretty sure the old em games actually have live going through all the switches so not sure how close id want to be touching on those. But any solid state game should be fine as it's all low voltage switch matrix.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-duper-dumb-question?hl=mageek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.