Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-734.jpg
image-113.jpg
image-440.jpg
image.jpg
image-400.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 9 years ago

The super bands are hard as a rock and the clear rings are like white rubbers on steroids. Both went too far in opposite directions. I know the folks making these things are doing testing, but the player community has not warmed up to them at all. Pinball is a game of skill. These rings (especially) and flipper rubbers significantly increase the luck factor. If I want to play games of chance, I'll go to the nearest CEC thanks. At least I'll get some tickets for my efforts there.

I put the Saturn IFPA rubbers on my location Ripley's because it's already bastardized and they fit the theme, bizarre. I won't put urethane rubbers on any of my other games. At home or on location.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm a terrible player and I can definitely tell the difference between super bands and regular flippers.

If super bands made me play worse, I wouldn't be using them. Take what you want from that.

The reason weaker players like them is because they improve shot accuracy, due to being so friggin hard. It's like the difference between hitting a hardball with a wiffle bat or a real wooden bat. Of course the harder one is going to be more accurate and feel stronger.

Whatever you gain in shot accuracy is more than offset by loss of ball control. Yes, they are grippy, but they play way too different than conventional rubbers. If you use these on all your games, your chances of improving your skills are decreased. Enjoy the improved accuracy because your ball control skills will likely never improve significantly. You get a little bump in your score now, but that's it. If you want to keep improving your skills, don't put them on all your games.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I don't quite think your machine will magically morph into the Pinball Arcade counterpart and turn you to into Bowen Kerins...

Quoted from Mancave:

Cmon dude, thats a complete crock. Having super bands on your machine DOESN'T instantly make you a SUPER player...

Quoted from pezpunk:

I'd love to see you play my STTNG with superbands and show me how easy it is.

Have you guys been reading this thread?

Quoted from beelzeboob:

You may have to turn down the flipper coil a couple points, because there's a hell of a bounce of them.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

They definitely add zip to a smacked ball.

Quoted from tilt-master:

I have only scored 1 Bil + on my IJ once. I installed superbands and within and hour I had scored 1 Bil + for the second time ever, two games after 600Mil +

I feel like they give an advantage over standard flipper rubbers with more control. So Super Bands are going in all machines for me.

Quoted from floyd1977:

I also experienced higher scores with the super bands on (I don't necessarily see this as a plus).

Quoted from vid1900:

Superbands give surgical precision.

And that's just from the first page. All three of you seemed to have missed my point anyway. They will briefly give your scores a slight bump, but you'll never become a Bowen if you have them on all your games. Do you want short term satisfaction, or do you want to continue to become a better player? Having urethane rubbers on all your games will not make you a better player long term. I'm not saying don't use them. I'm just suggesting using them in moderation.

Quoted from Dewey68:

Was it Superbands or the Saturn Rings that had the different durometer ratings?

The saturn rings come in 4 different hardness. 1, 2 , 3 and IFPA approved. They had trouble with the florescent ones breaking early, but the IFPA rubbers on my location Ripley's have held up fine for many months.

The super band folks said they were going for black rubber durometer rating. I don't care what they read on the durometer, they don't play the same as black rubbers. You can easily test this yourself by putting a super band on one flipper and fresh natural black rubber on the other. Then drop a ball from the upper playfield to each flipper and see which one bounces more. The difference will be noticeable.

1 week later
#177 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Don't put super bands on a Steve Richie machine.... if you take it to shows he attends.
I'm still stinging from the ridicule he sent my way.

Steve will be the first to admit that he'll likely never win PAPA, but he knows how a game should play. He was playing my T3 one time and stopped in the middle of ball because he said the kickback wasn't working right. Told me to give him some tools. I did. He fixed it, then played some more.

1 week later
#189 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Actually; now that I think about it... maybe all duplicate Free play machines on the floor which aren't in the Tourney area should have Super bands.
IE my STLE had superbands on it while the ones in the Tourney area didn't.
While I doubt it really did a lot; Maybe it deterred the tourney players from hogging my machine for practice.

So you think super bands should be used to deter folks from playing a particular game.

If that's an endorsement, it's a negative one. I don't want to put anything on my games that repels players.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

omg - lighten up.
Casual players don't seem to care ... look at all the negative-ish comments from the tourney players about super bands.
I was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek about the use of superbands while poking fun at the competitive player.

You should've added a *winking* smiley at the end. d

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

PAPA has machines with superbands at their competitions, and that's all I need to have a clear conscience about playing with them.

Not in A division.

Quoted from mhs:

Most will have regular rubber. A few games in C-div will have superbands. AFM is one that I know of for sure. Future Spa is another. B-div may have one game, but I don't remember off hand. A-div will not have any.

Why do you think they would leave out A division? I can think of a couple of possible reasons.

Quoted from swampfire:

I put superbands on 9 of my pins (all eras), and have been using them for about a week...

I plan to leave the super-bands on for league play this month, so I can see what others think.

Make sure to let everyone know beforehand which games have them and which don't. The gameplay difference is huge and league is usually casual enough so that guys won't check first. Either let everyone know before starting or leave a small note on the apron of games that have them. I got bit by this big time on a league night a while back. Most games took me 2 balls to adjust to the change, leaving me only one ball to do any damage. Most frustrating was that the host's games were all minty as hell and were games I was very familiar with. I know i would've done better with conventional rubbers. Instead I had to relearn minty games I had played thousands of times before elsewhere.

If you have any other urethane rubbers, including the little post rubbers, you should let folks know about those too. They also change gameplay significantly.

3 weeks later
#238 9 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

That's weird because mine never used to bounce off the right flipper to the left one but it does since I put on superbands. It used to bounce up from the right flipper and SDTM but now it bounces nicely to the left flipper.

Did you have old hard black rubbers on there before? That would do it. Unless you have your game pitched at 9 degrees, new black rubbers will bounce the ball over just fine.

Depending on the kickout (and pitch, obviously), super bands will bounce the ball over most of the time. But not a big bounce and not as reliably as conventional black rubbers. And as the slot machine VUK coil warms up, the kickout is less predictable. If you're playing in a tourney or league, you don't trust the bounce with super bands. Flip or live catch the kickout. I wouldn't recommend super bands on a TZ for tourney or league play. Folks are gonna get pissed. That bounce is a god given right (in the eyes of many players anyway d.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-bandsor-not?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.