Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo-29.JPG
    photo-30.JPG
    photo-27.JPG
    shadow-03.jpg
    image-219.jpg
    superbands.jpg
    Superbands.jpg
    image-292.jpg
    image.jpg
    Xman.jpg
    image-970.jpg
    image.jpg
    th-2-496.jpeg
    image-114.jpg
    Superbands_on_CV.jpg
    super-band.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Seems to me both PAPA and IFPA have already expressed interest in going polyurethane, no?

At PAPA we believe there is no one-size-fits-all approach to game setup. Since the types and styles of games vary so wildly, there is no magic bullet that can or should be used effectively in all games and in all situations for tournament play. New types of flipper rubbers coming onto the market serve different purposes for different people. I agree with Joe the industry needs to improve in this area, and the quality of traditional rubber has gone downhill in recent years, but that's not to say the old-style flipper rubbers should be avoided. When setting a game up for competition, I believe directors should not make sweeping decisions but should instead look at each situation individually and determine the solution on a case-by-case basis. The fact superbands were used on all games at the recent Expo tournament was not the PAPA representative's decision and isn't indicative of a trend at Circuit events.

Having said that, we will use superbands and polyurethane products the same as we use all products when determining game management. If the situation calls for it, it will be used. If the situation does not call for it, a different option will be used instead.

As changes happen in the industry, we all adjust. The one thing I personally can say, not as a PAPA representative but as a general pinball player, is that Joe does care about what he's doing, and he takes feedback to heart, which is so incredibly important in any industry (and life in general). If the bands he showed me a few days ago are indicative of where the product is headed, I don't believe tournament players will take issue with the development. I've spoken with Joe enough to know he is always looking to improve, and if people think he will sit on his laurels without seeking to improve, they are mistaken.

I personally am looking forward to where this situation is going, and while some tournament players may already have their minds made up with 100% certainty, if I can offer them anything, it would be advice to stay tuned. My discussions with Joe tells me this evolution is far from over.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

What are PAPA players anyways? 1% of the pinball players maybe? I respect a great player but they certainly won't decide what is a "fad" or not.

PAPA is dedicated to helping the industry and iconic game of pinball as a whole, not just tournament players. We frequently utilize large tournaments to encourage the game and spread the word because it's one of the most effective methods to do so, but it's far from all we do.

If you care about the game enough to post on this website, you have far more in common with PAPA and "PAPA players" as you put it, than you have differences.

Keep on flipping, no matter where you are located, and we'll be trying to help one way or another.

Post edited by mhs : clarification

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wait...I just ordered Super Bands for all my games and he's changing the formula? Greeaaat....

I don't claim to have any knowledge of formulas or upcoming changes or product releases. If I came off that way, I misrepresented myself.

Having said that, just from a consumer's standpoint, I wouldn't think anyone would expect a product like this to stand still for all time, especially early in the product development. The sentiment I was trying to get across is that, having spoken with Joe, I believe he will take feedback and continue to try and improve. Some of the feedback has been harsh at times for all of the polyurethane products, and for something so new, I believe that kind of attitude is unwarranted. To a degree, production of these bands is a form of creative endeavor and will likely go through a number of different iterations over the years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-bands-thoughts?tu=mhs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.