Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo-29.JPG
    photo-30.JPG
    photo-27.JPG
    shadow-03.jpg
    image-219.jpg
    superbands.jpg
    Superbands.jpg
    image-292.jpg
    image.jpg
    Xman.jpg
    image-970.jpg
    image.jpg
    th-2-496.jpeg
    image-114.jpg
    Superbands_on_CV.jpg
    super-band.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadTower.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Actually it's extremely hard, and there is no real incentive to. This super band thing is a fad and a home use item. It's not something you'll see in major tournaments on a regular basis. Novelty item.

That's true. You don't have enough time to readjust your shot timing at a tournament. We all know this stuff is critical and instinctive in competition. I have yet to play with any Superbands but I could easily see having them at home being a negative when it comes to competitive play elsewhere. It's hard enough to adjust to the idiosyncracies of someone else's instance of your game. Add in totally different flipper rubbers and that could be enough to move you from top ten to top thirty.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wait...I just ordered Super Bands for all my games and he's changing the formula? Greeaaat....

Why should that matter? If you get decent pieces of rubber then you got what you ordered. This isn't an iPhone.

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Absolutely, but ultimately the 'sport' end of it follows the lead of the elite.

As someone who has been coaching sports for most of my life I could not disagree with this more if I consciously tried. I spend way too much time trying to decontaminate kids of the bad habits they see baseball players exhibit on TV. Kids who won't catch a ball with two hands, who won't hold a bat with two hands, who won't run out a pop fly, who think running over catchers and second basement is "heads up play". Without making any statements about pinball specifically I can say with 20 years of experience that 99% of athletes need to follow the lead of the fundamentally sound rather than the elite. The elite are so talented that they often succeed despite their practices rather than because of them.

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The fact that kids are using a glove at all to catch the ball is my point - if MLB started using.... i dunno pillow cases to catch, you'd be switching kids to use them too... Oh and they will still refuse to use both hands

The two things are completely interrelated. That's why you get 11 year olds refusing to play with facemasks in hockey and trying to sneak onto football fields minus their leg pads.

The true IFPA A divisions players can do their thing because they have the decades of play behind them and the talent to do it. The rest of us need to play fundamentally sound pinball and part of that is having the rubbers as consistent as possible between home and competition. We just won't have the ability to adjust instinct in 15 minutes of practice time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadTower.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-bands-thoughts?tu=ChadTower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.