Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo-29.JPG
    photo-30.JPG
    photo-27.JPG
    shadow-03.jpg
    image-219.jpg
    superbands.jpg
    Superbands.jpg
    image-292.jpg
    image.jpg
    Xman.jpg
    image-970.jpg
    image.jpg
    th-2-496.jpeg
    image-114.jpg
    Superbands_on_CV.jpg
    super-band.jpg
    There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 10 years ago

Just took Superbands off my TZ after about a month of playing it everyday. They play a lot different than regular rubber and was OK w/ all of that, but was unable to make the ramps and center target w/ any consistency at all.
    I put regular red rubber back on and all is well again.
    I would rather see Superbands used on location pins that currently have regular hard black rubber tho. Assuming they're using black for longevity because I'd really rather have regular red, but if it's a location you can't get to often or easily, these would be the ticket.

#302 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i dunno man, i had to use all my strength to get these puppies on. i couldn't believe how much force i was exerting. i second whoever suggested making them slightly larger.

I also had a hell of a time installing them on my machines, until I tried a different approach that made it quite easy:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-how-to-easily-install-super-bands

1 week later
    #303 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Yes. It took Herculean strength with a rig clamped to a table to get them on ... but they're on:

image-219.jpg 264 KB

HAHAHAH It does take some muscle. I thought I was going to break the flipper bat putting them on my T2. But they look and function great!

#304 10 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I have already put the minis on my Safecracker and they fit fine.
    Howie

A game I'd love to play. Heard so much about it, never seen one in person.

#305 10 years ago

Its 2 cheap pieces of rubber. I really could care less if they last longer. I didnt care for them when I played a few machines with them at the expo. Neat colors, but not worth it imo.

#306 10 years ago

So,

I'm still on the fence with these things. While they make controlling the ball easier in most ways, there is still some very random and unpredictible things that happen which are way unlike what happens with traditional rubbers. It's different enough that I find it irksome.

They look fantastic, though.

9 months later
    #307 9 years ago

This thread's been dead for a while.

I got to try the urethane flippers on a bunch of different machines (Modern NYC). I think I saw them around before, but I didn't think about it maybe? Tonight, I was very aware of them. They're on nearly all of Modern's machines if not all of them.

They're fine. I guess the difference between them and rubber isn't such a big deal. If you have a ton of pinballs to keep up with, more power to you. If I had just a couple at home, I probably wouldn't bother with it.

But if you're going to split hairs, the handling is pretty different. I don't know about claims that the stuff improves shooting. It could. Of course I bricked all my shots like usual. Electric chair-style kickout-to-bounceovers were fine, but I didn't have faith in the Funhouse-style kickout-to-bounceover. If I'd been planning to write all about it, I would have been a little more scientific... I made loop passes. Botched a few of course, but I don't need any newfangled rubber for that. Loop live catches were easier?? Who knows?

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the lower playfield game. I think rubber has fun characteristics. The animation of the ball is very lively and has a good personality. My estimation of the urethane's rebound was that the energy return falls off getting into the shallow angles. Like looking at an older flat screen off from the side.

It is fun to explore something new just for the hell of it though. I guess I'm not that into them as long as all we're talking about it the stuff on the flippers. In the context of the whole pinball experience, it's not a big deal what I think. Like I said, I really thought about it for the first time today and I probably have played a little bit on them previously (on unfamiliar machines). Maybe I would be sad if everyone decided to use these on location.

I can think of a certain Cyclone that I wish had Super Bands on it rather than the dead-ass rubbers it's got right now.

So is everybody still into them that liked them 9 months ago?

#308 9 years ago
    Quoted from anonymatt:

Yes

#309 9 years ago

I've changed my opinion from "on the fence" to "over the fence". I'll never use regular flipper rubbers as long as these are available.

#310 9 years ago

I've got a tournament coming up soon at my place, and so I made a point to take the urethane rubbers off all of my games to appease everyone coming. I noticed an immediate difference in play--far more bounce by going back to traditional rubbers. I also noticed that the ball no longer gripped and slowed down the second it hit the flipper like it did with the urethane rubbers, which was a big improvement. After my tourney I'll probably put the Super Bands back on at least one game, as it's good to have a feel for both styles of rubbers, but I won't be putting them back on all of them. Maybe if I was routing my games I would, but I'm not.

#311 9 years ago

+1

Most pins are shipped with black rubbers. Over the last years i changed most pins back to black or purple rubber (purple is equally hard as black) since standard red rubber ones are just way to far off the original feel. Superbands bounce is closer to black standard rubbers than red standard rubber is, so finally you can have all colors while keeping the original black rubber feeling.

I must admit that i also changed my 2 "original red rubber machines" to Superbands since a few weeks. Especially guests love the Superbands on BK2K, it makes the shots much sharper and the whole game lightning fast. Extreme flow on BK2K due to less time spent trying to get the bouncing ball under control.

#312 9 years ago

They were the hot ticket at Expo and Terry's party last year. Like LED's were for the previous several years. What will be the the "must have" this year?

#313 9 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

+1
    Most pins are shipped with black rubbers. Over the last years i changed most pins back to black or purple rubber (purple is equally hard as black) since standard red rubber ones are just way to far off the original feel. Superbands bounce is closer to black standard rubbers than red standard rubber is, so finally you can have all colors while keeping the original black rubber feeling.
    I must admit that i also changed my 2 "original red rubber machines" to Superbands since a few weeks. Especially guests love the Superbands on BK2K, it makes the shots much sharper and the whole game lightning fast. Extreme flow on BK2K due to less time spent trying to get the bouncing ball under control.

Where are you finding hard purple rubber? Every purple Ive had is super soft and is tearing in just a few games.

#314 9 years ago
    Quoted from anonymatt:

Yes! I have them on all my games and will not be changing them back.

Phoebe

#315 9 years ago

I LOVE how they rarely if ever break. I wish they made slingshot and other sizes. I'm all in!
    Pinaholic

#316 9 years ago

will never use 'hitty flipper rubbers ever again as well.

#317 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Where are you finding hard purple rubber? Every purple Ive had is super soft and is tearing in just a few games.

I know what you mean, ended up ordering some overseas and those were perfect.

I'd have to check to be sure but as far as i can remember the hard ones came from Pinball Spare Parts Australia. They are also much harder to get on than Superbands, kinda like car tires...

6 months later
    #318 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I've changed my opinion from "on the fence" to "over the fence". I'll never use regular flipper rubbers as long as these are available.

I agree, i like super bands now after having them on my own machines for a while.

#319 9 years ago

On some machines I like them, but more often than not I don't. Too dead.

(note: my point of reference is early EM's up to mid-80's... might feel differently about them on modern pins)

There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-bands-thoughts/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.