Super Bands post expo review

Started 1 year ago by calvin12 in forum All Pinball > All Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

Super Bands post expo review

Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider. Click the star to add it to your favorites.

By calvin12

1 year ago

Stats

• Started 1 year ago
  • 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by calvin12

Posting activity (per hour)

23:00
Oct 21st
2 posts
00:00
Oct 22nd
1 post
01:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
02:00
Oct 22nd
1 post
03:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
04:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
05:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
06:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
07:00
Oct 22nd
5 posts
08:00
Oct 22nd
2 posts
09:00
Oct 22nd
2 posts
10:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
11:00
Oct 22nd
No posts
12:00
Oct 22nd
1 post

1 year ago

I had Super Bands on Pinbot and White Water from Wednesday to Sunday. The good, they did hold up well. The pics below show the shooting faces and tips of the two lower flipper rubbers. One is 700+game dirty, the other is after cleaning. There was no noticeable wear on them from the balls. The not as good. In White Water in particular they played much different than the blue rubber I usually use. When 1st installed the lost mine kickout would only get about 3mm of bounce and the ball would settle onto the right flipper. After ~70 games the mine kickout did rebound to the left flipper. I cleaned the flipper and then once again had only a few mm of bounce. I think is this because the lost mine put the ball in play with backspin and the ball would hit the tacky surface and essentially push itself into the PF losing its energy. At the end of expo 700+ games it was back to rebounding to the left flipper. After fixing the mine popper, which blew up several times at expo I took some video which isn't edited yet but should be in the near future. The mine is now kicking out much harder so even the clean superbands are bouncing to the left flipper, but as the video will show its much less rebound than the regular rubber.
super bands tips.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
super bands.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

1 year ago

Whitewater has one of the most wicked kick out angles built into a game.

1 year ago

I'm crushing the Trap Door shot/loop with these things on my Funhouse. It was the hardest thing to do in the game before. The VUK bounce from right to left for the Hidden Hallway shot is nonexistent now, though.

Put a new feel on a familiar game. I reset the high scores and I'm just gonna leave them on.

1 year ago

Do you usually leave the R flipper up, so the ball rolls up the inlane and scores the rollover?

1 year ago

Putting these on my pins was like going from a standard tire to a super grippy Z rated tire

1 year ago
Toasterdog said:

Putting these on my pins was like going from a standard tire to a super grippy Z rated tire

Did you do Dredd too. If so what do you think on Dredd. I got my order just haven't put them on yet.

1 year ago

Dredd is my only pin I have not done yet (didn't have my preferred colors). I will get to it tonight I hope.

Seriously, like this:

Before: imgres.jpg

After: images.jpg

1 year ago
Toasterdog said:

I am running re-treads then......

1 year ago

I <3 Super Bands. Bought a bunch to try on my games...really diggin' them so far. Love the grip, love the shinyness. Thumbs up!!!

1 year ago

There are different kinds of rubber with varying bounciness, so I guess we can get used to them. That said, the things I'm hearing about bouce passes, whacky damping and goofball spin give me pause.

pinmods

Senior pinhead
1y
1 year ago

They play like crap.

This isn't a matter of "getting used to it". There is no consistency in these rubbers. The left side can play differently than the right. Various air bubbles in the rubbers are mostly likely the reason.

The only benefit I see in these is the color choices. Basically just eye candy. I removed them from my two machines after a couple days.

1 year ago

I'm going to give it the time it needs to decide if they're right for me. I put them on four of my pins, and I play these four rather regularly.

The 'grip' of the new material is where these things feel so weird, IMO. It can make the ball stop on a dime on the flipper, but it can also cause an already spinning ball to bite so hard on a flipper that it rolls quickly along the flipper in what would be an unnatural way for traditional gum rubber. I noticed this a few times playing at the expo.

The equal action across all colors is probably the best reason for these new rubbers, so people who think it's a vanity item are probably correct. I like the fact that the green rubbers don't feel like playing with a super-ball installed in the game like the way green rubbers previously felt.

1 year ago
vid1900 said:

Do you usually leave the R flipper up, so the ball rolls up the inlane and scores the rollover?

No, until I just rebuilt the kicker Monday leaving the flipper up had a good change of hitting the tip and draining. Its kicking much harder now. With the lower power coil it was bouncing to the center of the left flipper, now it will got to the base of the left flipper or into the left sling off the bounce from the right.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.