Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by orangegsx
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190504_153154_resized (resized).jpg
    20181229_134859_resized (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I have only been feverishly buying and selling pins for about a year now (been playing for 30 years or so) and have noticed how awesome this pinball community really is. I have heard and read many stories about great people and businesses going out of their way to help others in the pinball world and thought it would be nice to recognize them. So if something has happened to you that was super awesome, please share it.

A few months ago, I had some great communications with Yzfguy with a potential trade and I backed out on him for a different pin opportunity. He was bummed about it and I felt really bad. So I told yzfguy I would buy his pin anyway. Went to his place to pick it up and he was a super nice guy. Wanted me to stay longer to play and chat pinball, but it was late and was on the road all day. Brent you are a super cool guy and thank you for your hospitality.

I recently ordered some bulbs from pinballbulbs.com and was blown away with their personalized customer service and care. Not only were they helpful answering my questions, they went above and beyond to help me get exactly what I needed. Hats off to you!

2 weeks later
    #2 4 years ago

TL;DR: Four strangers met on Pinside to execute a long-distance trade.

Shortly after I posted on Pinside about my 1932 Cloverleaf, I was contacted by Pinsider Cait001. She wanted to know if I'd ever consider trading it and, we got into a PM chat about our wishlist Pre-War pin games. It turns out she has two Signals - a Jr. and a Sr. - which are on my list. Cloverleaf is very cool and very rare, but I knew I'd prefer a game with a mechanical playfield feature. We tentatively agreed to a one-for-one trade, but the problem was that I'm in Ohio and she's in Ontario and neither of us wanted to make a long drive or risk shipping our games.

We both understood that Allentown is the Mecca for pinball trades and that collectors and restorers from our respective areas (all over, really) made the trip and haul games back and forth. So we put out the call. Pinsider Ballypin, who lives about 45 minutes from me and whom I met at Pincinnati said he had room in his truck and would be willing to make my trade. Cait001 called on her friend Mike, who was going to make the trip down from Canada. Then it was just a matter of waiting for May to arrive.

At the end of April, I sent out a mass email introducing everyone who would be involved in this caper including contact info. Ballypin called Mike to set a time and place to meet in Pennsylvania. Cait001 and Mike worked out delivery of Signal Sr. and I did the same with Ballypin. I drove over to Ballypin's house a week before his trip and we had a great chat - he's an excellent guy who is really knowledgeable and seems to know every pinhead in the tri-state area.

On the Friday of Allentown, Ballypin texted me that he the trade was done. He attended to some business of his own and headed back that night. The next day, he gave me a call from Columbus and two hours later was at my door. He showed off his finds and related his adventures before helping bring Signal Sr. inside and setting it up. After a little tinkering, I got the mechanics and the bell working and it's beautiful! I hope to hear from Cait001 soon that Cloverleaf made it back to Canada safely.

Thanks to everyone involved - the levels of trust and generosity are really overwhelming! I want to thank all the Pinside moderators and architects for maintaining a great resource that made this possible.

20181229_134859_resized (resized).jpg20181229_134859_resized (resized).jpg
    20190504_153154_resized (resized).jpg20190504_153154_resized (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

TL;DR: Four strangers met on Pinside to execute a long-distance trade.
    Shortly after I posted on Pinside about my 1932 Cloverleaf, I was contacted by Pinsider Cait001. She wanted to know if I'd ever consider trading it and, we got into a PM chat about our wishlist Pre-War pin games. It turns out she has two Signals - a Jr. and a Sr. - which are on my list. Cloverleaf is very cool and very rare, but I knew I'd prefer a game with a mechanical playfield feature. We tentatively agreed to a one-for-one trade, but the problem was that I'm in Ohio and she's in Ontario and neither of us wanted to make a long drive or risk shipping our games.
    We both understood that Allentown is the Mecca for pinball trades and that collectors and restorers from our respective areas (all over, really) made the trip and haul games back and forth. So we put out the call. Pinsider Ballypin, who lives about 45 minutes from me and whom I met at Pincinnati said he had room in his truck and would be willing to make my trade. Cait001 called on her friend Mike, who was going to make the trip down from Canada. Then it was just a matter of waiting for May to arrive.
    At the end of April, I sent out a mass email introducing everyone who would be involved in this caper including contact info. Ballypin called Mike to set a time and place to meet in Pennsylvania. Cait001 and Mike worked out delivery of Signal Sr. and I did the same with Ballypin. I drove over to Ballypin's house a week before his trip and we had a great chat - he's an excellent guy who is really knowledgeable and seems to know every pinhead in the tri-state area.
    On the Friday of Allentown, Ballypin texted me that he the trade was done. He attended to some business of his own and headed back that night. The next day, he gave me a call from Columbus and two hours later was at my door. He showed off his finds and related his adventures before helping bring Signal Sr. inside and setting it up. After a little tinkering, I got the mechanics and the bell working and it's beautiful! I hope to hear from Cait001 soon that Cloverleaf made it back to Canada safely.
    Thanks to everyone involved - the levels of trust and generosity are really overwhelming! I want to thank all the Pinside moderators and architects for maintaining a great resource that made this possible.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Six degrees of separation over here. On Friday, I was chatting with Ballypin at Pinfest about your Cloverleaf trade with Cait001 for her Signal, Sr. It turns out that one of the Ballypins acquisitions in PA was a 1967 Rocket III, which I had recently sold to a local friend in PA. Consequently, one reason for Darrin's (a/k/a Ballypin) trip to Pinfest was to retrieve that Rocket III.

Last year, when I learned of Cait001's search for prewar games, I suggested that she contact a Vermont seller with 2 Signals, a junior and a senior. I had previously purchased a 2nd Bally, Jr. from this Vermont seller. In fact, he sent me the larger Bally, Sr. legs, which had to be swapped for the correct ones. Thus, it turns out that I'm connected to both ends of your transaction. I even had your game's black and red legs in my gameroom for a few days.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Six degrees of separation over here. On Friday, I was chatting with Ballypin at Pinfest about your Cloverleaf trade with Cait001 for her Signal, Sr. It turns out that one of the Ballypins acquisitions in PA was a 1967 Rocket III, which I had recently sold to a local friend in PA. Consequently, one reason for Darrin's (a/k/a Ballypin) trip to Pinfest was to retrieve that Rocket III.
    Last year, when I learned of Cait001's search for prewar games, I suggested that she contact a Vermont seller with 2 Signals, a junior and a senior. I had previously purchased a 2nd Bally, Jr. from this Vermont seller. In fact, he sent me the larger Bally, Sr. legs, which had to be swapped for the correct ones. Thus, it turns out that I'm connected to both ends of your transaction. I even had your game's black and red legs in my gameroom for a few days.

That's so cool! Ballypin showed off his acquisitions when he dropped off Signal Sr. And that Rocket III looks really nice. Great to know a little of the history behind the Signal!

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

That's so cool! Ballypin showed off his acquisitions when he dropped off Signal Sr. And that Rocket III looks really nice. Great to know a little of the history behind the Signal!

The Vermont seller's late father-in-law collected railroad themed prewar games. That's why he had 3 Bally Signals. Congratulations on your acquisition!

4 months later
    #6 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

I'm late to the party but wanted to add this:
    When I bought the 2 Signals from the seller in Vermont I struggled to figure out logistics. I found a local pinballer (who goes by the name tinyrodent on other pinball boards) who was driving back from a trip out East and offered to pick them up for me on the way home.
    The same guy also helped me load and unload both Signal Jr and Cloverleaf at the Ottawa Pinball Show, where both were enjoyed by hundreds of people.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Shortly after I posted on Pinside about my 1932 Cloverleaf

topMoose, we're learning more about Cloverleaf: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-gottlieb-1932-cloverleaf-all-mechanical

#9 4 years ago

Good to see the ol' girl working like she should!

#10 4 years ago

This is partly why I got deeper and deeper into this hobby! The friends I've made, it's amazing. But my best story so far - all true - met a lady on line selling parts for PB machines. Turned out her husband (and dog) had recently passed away. After several purchases and emails we too became friends. I tried to help her get a machine working that her late husband had been working on, just as a simple way to express my gratitude to her. After several phone attempts, I get on a plane and fly down to help at her house. (It was a Thanksgiving weekend and I had no place to go) I did all I could ( was then and still now a newbie) but I couldn't get the game going.

I listed the problems here on Pinside, and then the help arrived. Someone say "Cavalry"? I wont mention names (to protect them from bombardments of requests) - but one person sent us an MPU board to get it to boot, another helped me get the SDB working, then subsequent follow up's from other selfless people here, and we got the machine working. Over the next year I actually acquired the game from her, we stay in touch weekly (if not daily) and I hope in some small way I've helped her move past the pain of losing a loved one. She, along with several others here that I've met, are now life long friends.

"Our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, But I'd of had to miss the dance"

#11 4 years ago

I drove a few hours to pick up a motordome pinball machine and look at an eight ball deluxe from the same seller. I only had money for the motordome. We came up with a price for eight ball deluxe and HE LET ME TAKE THE GAME WITHOUT PAYING HIM ANYTHING! I had known him 5 minutes. I paypal’d him a few weeks later when I had the cash. Good people in this hobby.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-awesome-pinball-community-stories and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.