You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

phopf_2.jpg
DSC_0335.jpg
C37.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I bought this C37 about a year ago, and she is darn nice - EXCEPT for the scratch left on the playfield by the left flipper. Below is a picture. Everything else is very nice. This is an old pic from when I first purchased her, but it gives the general state of affairs. I'd like suggestions for fixing this. Perhaps there is something I'm missing? Here's the one thing I was thinking of...

Sanding the bare wood cleared area within where the scratch is, and then 2PAC semi gloss the bare wood area.

I REALLY don't want to strip the whole thing down and do an entire 2PAC. The game didn't play well when I bought it, and I've refurbished most of the switch stacks, and completely rebuilt the thermometer, and she plays great now.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or ideas. I don't have much money invested into this. About 1/2 of what they sell for now. I'm also having trouble with the decision to repaint the cabinet entirely (which isn't bad - just the purples have turned pink like they all have) - or simply air brush the purples BACK to their original color and leave her as stock as possible.

I think that's my trouble with what I think are "expensive" EM's. I'm afraid to do any cosmetic work as I have a preservationist mentality about "originality". I know... I'm weird.

PM me if you prefer to reply in that manner. Thanks for taking a look!
MurphyC37.JPGC37.JPG

#2 8 years ago

Did you rebuild the flipper/replace the bushing so it's not still dragging?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Did you rebuild the flipper/replace the bushing so it's not still dragging?

Yes sir. First thing I did when I got it home.

#4 8 years ago

There's the VID guide to playfield repair to check out...I think your only choices are to look at the wear spot or look at the repair spot since it will not looked "aged" after the repair. Maybe someone else has a successful example...I've got 1 EM with this same issue.

#5 8 years ago

Frisket the area around the all the lower wood area. Cut the frisket so only the wood area is exposed. Sand it down removing the scratch. Using Shellac amber or clear re coat the wood. Protect with lacquer. Wax and it will look like new. Play your game and enjoy.

Steve J.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Protect with lacquer.

What specific lacquer gives you the best result?

#7 8 years ago

I had a c37 with some wear in that area. not flipper drag but what I did would of worked on that also.
I used the back edge of a wood chisel and dragged it back against the old varnish to remove it in the wood are. once it was all removed I sanded the wood area. I then matched the old wooded area color the best I could. I doesn't need to be exact due to the fact that the surrounding area is screened so the two wood colors are not touching.
I used a wipe on poly but a amber shellac would also work. I might even be a close color match to boot

DSC_0335.jpgDSC_0335.jpg

phopf_2.jpgphopf_2.jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I had a c37 with some wear in that area. not flipper drag but what I did would of worked on that also.
I used the back edge of a wood chisel and dragged it back against the old varnish to remove it in the wood are. once it was all removed I sanded the wood area. I then matched the old wooded area color the best I could. I doesn't need to be exact due to the fact that the surrounding area is screened so the two wood colors are not touching.
I used a wipe on poly but a amber shellac would also work. I might even be a close color match to boot

Looks great

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbee:

What specific lacquer gives you the best result?

I use what gloss lacquer I have on hand usually. I get this type of product as a spray at a box store. Now if there is a better product I would be interested to try but the results so far from what I used was good. Boilerman's thread I think confirms this type of approach.

Good luck.

#10 8 years ago

Can you spray 2 part automotive clear over Zinsser amber shellac or is there another way to duplicate the original wood look on these older playfields before clear coating? I have a Bally Hang Glider that I will be doing touch-ups on and spraying with a 2pac. There are area's like those posted above in the unpainted area's where the original finish is worn.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Can you spray 2 part automotive clear over Zinsser amber shellac or is there another way to duplicate the original wood look on these older playfields before clear coating? I have a Bally Hang Glider that I will be doing touch-ups on and spraying with a 2pac. There are area's like those posted above in the unpainted area's where the original finish is worn.

I have recently on my Nags playfield and platter, works a charm. Experiment with the different shades of Shellac, I did not color match so well on my platter but that my lesson learned.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

How did you wipe it on? With a brush or cloth or foam brush? May I ask what brand you used. Because that turned out really well.
Also - did you tape off the entire wood area and apply? Or frisket it off?
And what did you do to get it to blend with the original clear? Sand and Buff?
Thank you very much for the reply, which is very encouraging.

#13 8 years ago

I used this
minwax wipe on poly, satin finish

I used a clean rag, I taped off the edge, put down a few thin coats until I had it leveled with the old finish, wet sanded with 1500 grit to get the correct sheen. not really hard at all just time consuming.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I used this
minwax wipe on poly, satin finish

Just to be clear, that would be the oil-based?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-sought-c37-playfield-scratch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.