Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JoeHog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I appreciate the money, but I don't need it. I'm trying to come up with a unique idea on how to spend it so it can benefit someone who could truly use it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I appreciate the money, but I don't need it. I'm trying to come up with a unique idea on how to spend it so it can benefit someone who could truly use it.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

I know JDRF is near and dear to you, and that's always a good choice.

If you are looking for another worthy charity, I'd love to suggest Give Kids the World. https://www.gktw.org/index.php

They are the resort that families on Wish trips stay at. They are a separate non-profit from Make-A-Wish, and actually serve all of the Wish organizations around the world. GKTW is the charity that arranges park tickets, lodging, food, etc... for these wish trips. Make-A-Wish actually only sets everything up and pays for transport/spending money.

GKTW is closed right now due to covid-19, but can always use more money. It costs around $750 for them to host a family for a week, so a donation of that would sponsor at least 1 family to spend their wish trip there.

#3 4 years ago

local food bank , if you give them a cheque , they have better buying power to buy food cheaper

#4 4 years ago

There is definitely a poor neighbour in your street that can use it.
    Why you need pinside for this.

#5 4 years ago

No right or wrong answers here.

#6 4 years ago

If you are looking for something with more of a local impact, food banks or battered women's shelters seem to be an apt choice right now.

#7 4 years ago

I always have a soft spot for kids. Maybe keep it local? However, like frolic said - no right or wrong answers. Nice gesture

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Quoted from frolic:

Yes correct, but i would give it to a person.
    No charity fund.
    Because they reserve money for "costs".

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

There is definitely a poor neighbour in your street that can use it.
    Why you need pinside for this.

Can you tell me who this neighbor is? I would also hope others see this and maybe decide to do the same.

I would prefer to keep it local and our food bank came to mind first. I also love the idea of paying down school lunch accounts but I'm not sure that's going to be needed now. Another favorite idea is randomly paying for someone's groceries but at my age, I won't be going to a store anytime soon.

#10 4 years ago

Prior to covid I supported both large charities but I would also hand cash over to individuals that needed it and I always enjoyed knowing I made a difference for an individual.

Right now I know the large charities are being devastated because they aren't able to raise their usual money, so I'll likely continue to mix it up.

#11 4 years ago

many cities have set up online google docs which have the info for bartenders and wait staff that are out of work and struggling.

Do you have a local favorite bar or bar arcade or ???

Do you have a favorite person, barback, etc???

Maybe find their info and shoot them over a paypal gift to help out.

Just thinking. I have sent virtual tips to some of my regular bartenders that are out of work and I know it is a huge help.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Can you tell me who this neighbor is? I would also hope others see this and maybe decide to do the same.
    I would prefer to keep it local and our food bank came to mind first. I also love the idea of paying down school lunch accounts but I'm not sure that's going to be needed now. Another favorite idea is randomly paying for someone's groceries but at my age, I won't be going to a store anytime soon.

I don't know who your neighbor is.
    Give it where you think is needed best.
    But lookout when throwing money every turd crawls under out his rock.

#13 4 years ago

Check with local churches. Mine has a fund used to directly help individuals in need. None of it goes to operating the church, paying staff, or anything else.

#14 4 years ago

Humane Society?

#15 4 years ago

My donations usually go to St.Jude's

#16 4 years ago

Food pantries and food banks. Remember that with mandatory school closers many kids are not getting the free or cheap meals that school was providing. This is resulting in increased pressure on the food banks to fill that void.

#17 4 years ago

Another vote for food bank.

#18 4 years ago

I work in education and can most likely track down some resources for kids up here in the city if you would like me to look into it.

#19 4 years ago

Favorite small restaurant. Alot of them missed out on the government loans.

#20 4 years ago

Some schools are looking for donations of old laptops and tablets for families that are struggling with remote learning. A lot of people only have a cell phone and multiple kids at home. You could probably donate 8-10 new chrome books with that money.

#21 4 years ago

Check with the Farmington Police or Fire departments.

There might be equipment they could really use right now.

LTG : )

#22 4 years ago

The Wounded Warrior Project could be something for you to check into. It appears that they are donating 10M to COVID-19 relief.

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Check with the Farmington Police or Fire departments.
    There might be equipment they could really use right now.
    LTG : )

That was my initial thought, seeing as my son is a volunteer fireman. He said there really isn't anything pressing they need and the money could be used by others more in need.

#24 4 years ago

Support suffering local business. I’ve been buying gift cards. Most places let you call in and you can either pick it up then give waitstaff a tip, or you can have it mailed to your home.
    Take your pic on the business but ALL service industry falls in that bucket.

#25 4 years ago

I gave ours to my wife's parents. Both on SS and cant meet their bills monthly. We have bought all their food during this because I told them to stay home.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-on-donating-1200-stimulus-check?hl=joehog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.