(Topic ID: 273587)

Suggestions on a 3-flipper pin for small home collection

By onemilemore

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pliers (resized).jpg
    B3BFA58F-9945-43B0-8D38-6F6A76D80EFB.gif
    #1 3 years ago

Title says it all, but a little more intel:

We're currently sporting Monster Bash LE and Ghostbusters Pro in the home, and I'd like to add a third pin eventually. I'm eyeballing 3-flipper machines for the sake of variety, and I'd love some suggestions on which to consider. Obviously I know TMNT is the new hotness so I will be looking to play it eventually, but I'd love to hear from other 3-flipper aficionados on which to seek out.

As far as skill, we're newer to the hobby and average at best. Not looking to be punished by a pin, but do want to be challenged. Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Star Trek, The Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Congo, The Shadow, White Water, and Tron are some of the best 3/4 flipper games in my opinion.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Star Trek, The Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Congo, The Shadow, White Water, and Tron are some of the best 3/4 flipper games in my opinion.

Concur, these are all good choices. I would add Judge Dredd and Doctor Who to this list if you are looking for a more affordable option.

#4 3 years ago

Some of my favorite three flipper games are X-MEN, Spiderman, STTNG, ST, and JP all have great flow. Tron is a great three flipper game but trying to time the left upper flipper Gem shot is really difficult.

Also WH20 is very unique and a really fun game-one of my wife's favorite games.

#5 3 years ago

Surprised no one mentioned Whirlwind yet...or Ripleys. Or Wonka. Depends on what you wanna spend.

#6 3 years ago

I would go for a #TZ or a #IJTPA or a #WH2O if you want an lighter ride

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

Ripleys. Or Wonka

While I like Lawlor three flipper games his layouts tend to have less flow and more stop and go. For some reason I gravitate towards the fast flowing three flipper games more so than stop and go ones. I love Ripley's but there is nothing like the rush of ripping the third flipper on Jurassic Park for combo shot or multiple warp ramp shots on ST.

#8 3 years ago

Spider-Man!

#9 3 years ago

Big Hurt. Inexpensive and will surprise you with all the features and flow it has.

#10 3 years ago
    B3BFA58F-9945-43B0-8D38-6F6A76D80EFB.gifB3BFA58F-9945-43B0-8D38-6F6A76D80EFB.gif
    #11 3 years ago

A Used Stern Star Trek Pro is the best bang for your buck 3 pin out there today. ~$4200. Would also recommend Whirlwind and Data East Jurassic Park.

#12 3 years ago

Judge Dredd is the best bang for your buck.

#13 3 years ago

Jurassic Park (Original DE or Stern depending upon your taste & budget)
    The Getaway - Good flowing game and lots of mods available

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

While I like Lawlor three flipper games his layouts tend to have less flow and more stop and go. For some reason I gravitate towards the fast flowing three flipper games more so than stop and go ones. I love Ripley's but there is nothing like the rush of ripping the third flipper on Jurassic Park for combo shot or multiple warp ramp shots on ST.

You complain on lawlor three flipper games cause of lack of flow and recommends JP????

TS, if you want variation check out TNA for something completely different. Yes, it´s hard, but it´s fun and definately different to the games you have.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Love 3 flipper games and those are some of the best. However, classics like TAF, TZ, WH2O, and even Congo are expensive and more maintenance may be involved. Stern ST, JP, and IMDN pro's are great fun, deeper code, and pretty good value.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

You complain on lawlor three flipper games cause of lack of flow and recommends JP????
    TS, if you want variation check out TNA for something completely different. Yes, it´s hard, but it´s fun and definately different to the games you have.

No I did not complain, just pointing out differences in layout's

Also I love TNA, but the upper third flipper is very random and what I consider to be borderline novelty.

#17 3 years ago

How about Tales from the Crypt ?

This has some depth and John Borg always has good flow (this one including)... The price point is also cheaper that could allow you to allocate more funds to the next machine

Kinda fits the theme you got going with "scary" games. Just a thought.

#18 3 years ago

TZ or TAF in terms of fun and "not insane rules" to go by.

TS is great but may come across as a bit of an enigma to the common player.

Congo is such fun, but I don't know it well enough to really comment.

Corvette is another 3-flipper game that has good theme appeal and lots of toys. No rules to really memorize - just hit the flashing lights!!

#19 3 years ago

No love for Dirty Harry? It’s a solid 3 flipper game.

I currently have a dh and have a dw on loan...after playing both for a while I would take dh straight up over dw....

“I know a good place for some hot dogs”

#20 3 years ago

I'm really enjoying my Dialed In! after a few tweaks. It's a Lawler with some nice flow. Plenty to do. Challenging but fun.

I don't own but do enjoy ST and IMDN as well.

Good luck with your search, always half the fun!

#21 3 years ago

Maybe spiderman? Will challenge you, it's not an incredibly difficult, and has three flippers.

#22 3 years ago

Can't go wrong with ST or SM. My son and I loved SM (that spot is being replaced by TMNT) and we still keep ST at my parents' house as it's a huge family hit on holidays.

#23 3 years ago

STTNG
    Whirlwind
    WH20
    HS
    JP Stern
    TZ

There is an option in there for most budgets.

#24 3 years ago
    #25 3 years ago

Twilight Zone. Just grab a pair of pliers and rip out that little vestigial flipper because you're under pressure and you will just miss the jackpot shot anyway... it makes a fine 3 flipper game like that.

Pliers (resized).jpgPliers (resized).jpg

#26 3 years ago

Spider-Man or Star Trek play great both of Sterns fairly newer 3 flippers games, great flow. Shadow is fun as well.

#27 3 years ago

White Water! My kids(all teenage or older) play our White Water more than anything else.

#28 3 years ago

#heist is a great choice.

#demolition-man is a great budget three flipper game.

#29 3 years ago

Ahem. Funhouse.

#30 3 years ago

Stern Star Trek is one of my favorite 3 flipper games. Similar layout to Spider-Man- but I prefer Star Trek

#31 3 years ago

Oktoberfest all day long!

#32 3 years ago

Spider-Man

#33 3 years ago

Spider-Man 2nd choice, and may work better if you have young kids. It is a awesome game, I had one for a very long time.

Spider-Man has tons of things to do, and very awesome. Was one of the last games I sold as I was down-sizing.

Oktoberfest is a big time keeper. So many different ways to try to beat your scores in the sub-categories, while also trying to also get a good score overall.

Except for missing the very cool rocking upper playfield that JJPPOTC has, the choices and paths you take are about the same to me.

Oktoberfest and JJPPOTC are the only 2 games I have ever made notes about that I would look at before I played to decide what I was going to try for. Both games are awesome, and so is Spider-Man.

I did try Star Trek for a while, never bought one, because I just never cared about the theme. It was about the same shot wise as Spider-Man.

If you drink beer at all, or like fall festivals or amusement parks at all, OKT is a long time keeper with all the different ways you can try to play it.

For me anyway, after a lot of plays Spider-Man felt like chopping wood, but for me anyway, OKT has never felt that way yet.

#35 3 years ago

Oktoberfest!

Funhouse!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vandy89:

White Water! My kids(all teenage or older) play our White Water more than anything else.

This is my current obsession on Pinball FX3 (late night when I can't play the actual pins). I freakin' love it, but I think my wife and daughter might not have the patience for it. It is on my shortlist.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Seeing a lot of Spiderman love so I'll need to revisit - we were bored by the one we played on location pre-'rona, but it wasn't in the best shape, upkeep-wise.

Gonna take a look into Corvette, since that one might get the wife's attention a bit more. And obviously eyeballing TMNT.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-on-a-3-flipper-pin-for-small-home-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.