Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Looking for some suggestions on where to start troubleshooting a weak Flash flipper. I'm a bit new to this, so any recommendations are appreciated. In this case the upper right flipper started acting up a few weeks ago. It's very week, particularly when trying to hit the ball. I have included a quick video below for reference.

#2 7 years ago

your video really does a terrible job of demonstrating the problem. Cannot give any advice based upon it.

#3 7 years ago

I had the same issue a while back. Check the EOS switch stack on the lower right flipper. The outside switch on this stack activates the upper flipper. It looks to me like you are not getting solid contact on this switch. There are two screws that keep this stack in place and if they get a little loose it's easy for the whole assembly to get pushed out of alignment. Adjust and tighten. If the mounting hole is worn you may need to add a toothpick and some Elmer's to give the screw some fresh wood to bite on.

1 month later
#4 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

your video really does a terrible job of demonstrating the problem. Cannot give any advice based upon it.

My apologies. Just getting started in the hobby and have just started to learn some of the basics. I see what you mean after re-watching.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

I had the same issue a while back. Check the EOS switch stack on the lower right flipper. The outside switch on this stack activates the upper flipper. It looks to me like you are not getting solid contact on this switch. There are two screws that keep this stack in place and if they get a little loose it's easy for the whole assembly to get pushed out of alignment. Adjust and tighten. If the mounting hole is worn you may need to add a toothpick and some Elmer's to give the screw some fresh wood to bite on.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did give it a look a while back, but everything seemed okay in terms of stability. Posting a another video below with a better view of the underside.

#6 7 years ago

Below is a video of what's happening under the playfield. The first closeup is of the lower-right flipper. Notice it stays engaged as I press the button.

The second part is of the upper-right flipper. Notice it does not stay engaged as I hold the button.

Thoughts or suggestions?

#7 7 years ago

The two switches are out of adjustment. The contact closest to the coil should be closed at rest and have an 1/8 gap when energized. Its gap looks too small when energized. The other contacts turn on the upper flipper and should be open at rest. When you energize the flipper, the contacts should close turning on the upper flipper. They are not closing tight enough to make good contact for a strong flipper.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The two switches are out of adjustment. The contact closest to the coil should be closed at rest and have an 1/8 gap when energized. Its gap looks too small when energized. The other contacts turn on the upper flipper and should be open at rest. When you energize the flipper, the contacts should close turning on the upper flipper. They are not closing tight enough to make good contact for a strong flipper.

Thank you! Took a look at this quick tonight and see what you mean. I was able to separate them but it looked like they may have been sticking together. Going to try and clean the contact and then test. Really appreciate the pointer!!!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

Going to try and clean the contact and then test

Use a small metal file.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-for-weak-flash-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.