6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

What do you use for test hooks/grabbers for chip legs?

I have a few, but they are too large to fit properly around chip legs.

#2 6 years ago

These work well if you can afford them:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=6

If you can find the blue Pomona clips - they're always cheaper.

For leads -- I use something similar to these:
    ebay.com link: 20 Pcs Lead Wire Kit Test Hook Clip Grabbers Test Probe SMT SMD for Multimeter

and these for the real power hungry ones:
    ebay.com link: 4 Red Black Car Battery Test Lead Clip Crocodile Alligator Clamps 50A

#3 6 years ago

I actually have a few of those I picked up at some point. I didn't even think of using those.

Quoted from G-P-E:

For leads -- I use something similar to these:
    ebay.com link » 20 Pcs Lead Wire Kit Test Hook Clip Grabbers Test Probe Smt Smd For Multimeter

Yeah, that's basically what I'm looking for. I noticed there were a few different sizes, though. The few I have are fine for component leads, but are just too big for chip legs. Is there a specific keyword I should be looking for to make sure they are the right size (like mini or micro)?

Quoted from G-P-E:

and these for the real power hungry ones:
    ebay.com link » 4 Red Black Car Battery Test Lead Clip Crocodile Alligator Clamps 50a

LOL!

#4 6 years ago

Chip test clips are safe and reliable in my experience, but I don't always have them handy when I'm traveling, so a steady hand and a sharp probe is adequate if your careful.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Chip test clips are safe and reliable in my experience, but I don't always have them handy when I'm traveling, so a steady hand and a sharp probe is adequate if your careful.

I need to jumper a bunch of things together, not just probe one particular leg at a time.

#6 6 years ago

For IC's -- we have a box of "micro test clips". And they are TINY. They work well with DIP IC's and are fine enough to work with some of the fine pitch SMT IC's as well.
    Pomona 6351s as found here:
    http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/index.php?i=prodmain&page=2&getDetails=1&parent=GRABCLIP

They were real pricey.... and break real easily.
    Their larger 5522s would probably work for DIPs but still cost an arm and a leg. These are similar to the ones on fleabay.

#7 6 years ago

I always break the mini grabber type products way to quickly. I usually look for a through hole resistor or something easier to grip onto when available.

Those 3M clip onto the dip chip thing look nice. I need to grab *hah* some of those. In most cases you could use a bigger one and not buy the smaller ones assuming you can get physically fit them onto a pcb.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-for-test-hooks-grabbers-for-chip-legs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.