(Topic ID: 248834)

Suggestions for Pinburgh 2020 (unofficial)

By ThisNotes4U

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by joefox22
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

N269AB (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjadoug.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have boxes and boxes of pens at the check in desk. They seemed to be scarce.
    Have free bottled water for all the competitors.
    Continue to improve the stream (make sure there’s no chance of glare on the games that are on or off stream)
    That’s really all I can think of. This bad boy is a well oiled machine already.

If you can't find a pen, ask one of the desk staff and they can get you one. In 2017, we went through nearly 4,000 pens over the two days of Pinburgh. Last year they were putting them out each round at the desk, but I can see how many it got overlooked in one round due to some of the Pinburgh chaos.

The glare is a tough one for the stream.We use 'glare free' glass every year but the convention center lighting is tricky to get right.

Free water will be a non-starter, the convention center contract with the food vendor would make that extremely cost prohibitive.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

More chairs and tables. I don't get why there aren't chairs in every row; everyone needs to sit. Those couches were amazing the one round I was on the stage.
    Water coolers in each row would be nice.
    Better PA system for announcements. It's always so hard to make out.

There are no chairs in the normal sized rows because it makes it nearly impossible for the techs to get around during a round. One of the years we did have chairs in the aisles and people moved them everywhere and someone tripped over one and got hurt.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

if we can't have free water for tourney players then at least have the concession open during the tournament. Saturday playoffs started at 0930, yet concession wasn't open until 1100.....

We can look into this again,but in 2017 ( I think) we tried to address this by having a stand open in Hall C at 9 AM.

The stand did less sales than what the convention center vendor requires per hour which results in a charge back Replay had to eat.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

The PA at the stage ruled!!!

That is the only one Pinburgh used all weekend.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from NIQ:

Whether a game is malfunctioning or a player needs a ruling, I want to say we answer anywhere from 10-40 tech lights a round. The first 2 rounds are the worst as the games haven’t had heavy play in a year. As well as we swap out an average of 3-4 games per round. The chairs would just get in the way.

Last year, per the in house tech app, I believe we answered and average of 80 tech lights (not always a tech issue) per round.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

At the Cobo expo center in downtown Detroit, Max from Roumell Catering (The original food service contractor there) would go around with an open end wrench shutting off every water fountain in the place during the auto show to boost beverage sales.

There are water dispensers throughout the convention center that do work!

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

With all the money invested in broadcast technology it would be nice to see the coverage expanded.
    A mobile rig that could be moved around during early rounds focusing on random groups would be a great add on but not a necessity. I realize it’s a big area to cover with a wireless signal. Perhaps letting some independent broadcasters participate in early rounds might be a solution?
    I have seen other broadcasts with two machines on screen at the same time to double the coverage. This would be an added bonus as the tournament winds down. You could follow two, four player games at the same time.
    The one big positive is the commentators were knowledgeable and scheduled to appear. Careful thought and planning could be seen. That tends to be the biggest downfall of other tournament coverage.

The wireless signal is the biggest challenge.

Most independent broadcasters are playing in the event if they are there. One of the reasons the coverage is the length it currently is, is due to a lack of volunteer help because most folks are playing or want to watch finals.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Step 1: Charge more money to enter (lots of demand and pretty sure we will all happily pay it, within reason)
    Step 2: Use that money (NOT for more prizes) but for improvements
    This thing is a GREAT event so any comments are just feedback out of love and to make it even better.
    More pens. turn that 500+ into 1000+ Guessing a sponsor would be happy to do this? Hell, I would be happy to sponsor this for next year
    Better audio/viewing experience. I covered this in the main thread, but the current audio is very bad. I get that the desire is to broadcast the main event to the actual public in attendance, but there must be a better way? Maybe TVs with their own audio on for every 5 rows of chairs. Then groups can better watch and hear the stream. Bonus is not distracting others that are still competing.
    Need to fix the issue of bumping people out of a division via restricting others and a hard 200 person limit to each division. Honestly, I am fine with lopsided divisions. If 200 qualify for A and then you have to bump up 20, then it becomes 220. Does not seem right to push others out. The hard reality is that with the current system you could have A restricted players take up about 120/200 spots (top 100 IFPA, plus previous restrictions for past years performances) in A without winning a single point on Thursday. Alternative option is, miss your restriction cut off and you are done after Thursday. I dont particularly like this one, but it is still better then bumping others that earned the spot.
    Improve the WIPT to allow for more players (apparently more than 50% waitlist full) and a full playoff. Time constraints stinks so pay for an extra hour or whatever it takes to allow this to expand. Maybe start it earlier?
    Figure out how to accommodate more people into Pinburgh. With 1000 and insta sell out, it is needed. Not sure how the heck that happens???

The Pinburgh satellite events are hopefully going to help us raise some money for improvements.

Lopsided divisions can be an issue for day 2 because you could have more folks playing in three player groups, which I think decreases the fun people have and (somewhat) limits the ability to earn points. We used to actually handle things this way, but received tons of complaints about it so we switched it to the current method.

Last year only 8 players with less than 35 wins were pushed up into Division A because of restrictions. We look at the restrictions every year, as we will before ticket on sale date this year, and will make adjustments that might be necessary.

With WIPT we are restricted due to time constraints and also how many games we want to sit aside that the general show-going public cannot play for the entire weekend. Expanding the hours we have the convention center foe in our current contract is a no-go. Unfortunately, it is just not as easy as going another hour because a lot of activity kicks off at the 5 PM time.

We do bigger expansions every other year with Pinburgh so this will be a 1,000 person year again, but we are looking for ways to get more folks into the event.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

More chairs around each bank and I thought it was crazy that during the first two rounds of A they had no stream running or link. I also hope they change for next year during A finals as a player hearing them in the commentary booth blasting in your ear was very annoying and distracting. Another thing I think would be nice to see is more pinball supplies for sale in the vendor sections compared to some of the more useless stuff.

The stream running is lack of volunteers with the skill to run it. Everyone is playing or interested in watching finals.

The live commentary will continue next year,I don't see that changing. The location of the other finals may change though.

Pinball parts in the vendor area is up for the vendors to sign up for. We've soldout our vendor spots for the last two years so we don't really recruit vendors for the show anymore.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

For the first two days, the two projector screens on both sides of the stage were either not used or displaying static images/slideshows.
    Using them to display metrics about the tournament would be a better utilization of them - e.g. a list of the top X players with the best W/L ratios (overall on day 1, per division on day 2)
    Other than that, the event was very well run.

This is on my wish list as well, but I haven't found a volunteer who was willing to write us up a script to scrape the data every round and create a webpage with infographics that update in real time that we could display.

If anyone has those skills, please contact me!

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from nikpinball:

A possible fun suggestion would be to have a couple of banks streaming live full time, throughout the tournament. Players of any caliber would get a shot at some limelight since the banks are randomized, a chance to crush it or not crush it but to be able to say they played live in front of an audience at a world championship event.

I'm not a fan of streaming without commentators. Without context it's not much fun to watch.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from wmanningiv:

Those bathrooms were a DISASTER! Obviously a convention center issue and not a Replay issue, but their condition all weekend was inexcusable.

If you ever see them in a bad state,let one of the TDs know.

They were on a schedule to be serviced after every round.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is a very important change and an easy one to implement.
    Top 200 make A. Then add the restricted people to that. Do the same for B C and D. Then the remaining players are in E.

Lopsided divisions can be an issue for day 2 because you could have more folks playing in three player groups, which I think decreases the fun people have and (somewhat) limits the ability to earn points. We used to actually handle things this way, but received tons of complaints about it so we switched it to the current method.

We will review this before finalized rules are published for 2020.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think now that it’s going all the way down to E division it wouldn’t have as many complaints. But just a thought. It’s much more important that the players that earned spots, get them imo.

There are different ways to approach tiebreaking as well,or change the restrictions.We will look at some possibilities this year to see if we can improve.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjadoug.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-for-pinburgh-2020-unofficial?tu=ninjadoug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.