(Topic ID: 248834)

Suggestions for Pinburgh 2020 (unofficial)

By ThisNotes4U

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

N269AB (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

As a huge fan and volunteer of Pinburgh I would love to hear what people think can be done to make things even better. I am NOT part of the organizing committee for the record. Please share your thoughts and ideas here.

#2 3 months ago

You know those guys that walk around the ball park yelling “Cold Beer!”? Let’s hire a few of those guys.

#3 3 months ago

Have boxes and boxes of pens at the check in desk. They seemed to be scarce.

Have free bottled water for all the competitors.

Continue to improve the stream (make sure there’s no chance of glare on the games that are on or off stream)

That’s really all I can think of. This bad boy is a well oiled machine already.

#4 3 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know those guys that walk around the ball park yelling “Cold Beer!”? Let’s hire a few of those guys.

That's a great idea but would never happen. Maybe a few more stations for selling beer from the licensed David Lawrence vendor would make those people a lot more money. I see many folks sneak in a few cans (Mike).

#5 3 months ago

The first two sound easy. Pens and water I'm sure will be noted.

The stream was a topic and I'm sure that will improve.

#6 3 months ago

More chairs and tables. I don't get why there aren't chairs in every row; everyone needs to sit. Those couches were amazing the one round I was on the stage.

Water coolers in each row would be nice.

Better PA system for announcements. It's always so hard to make out.

#7 3 months ago

If a player is restricted to a division but is below the cutoff, limit their qualifying seed to the bottom of that division.

#8 3 months ago

Seating seems do-able
    Concession contractors HATE free water.
    PA might be a convention center issue.

Thanks for the input!

#9 3 months ago

Can you fly the speakers? I think that alone will help out immensely.

As for pens, having boxes of them will still result in lost/stolen/missing pens. Instead, get pins that have the small chain attached to them and magnetize them to the coin door or something.

#10 3 months ago

if we can't have free water for tourney players then at least have the concession open during the tournament. Saturday playoffs started at 0930, yet concession wasn't open until 1100.....

#11 3 months ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Can you fly the speakers? I think that alone will help out immensely.
    As for pens, having boxes of them will still result in lost/stolen/missing pens. Instead, get pins that have the small chain attached to them and magnetize them to the coin door or something.

The PA at the stage ruled!!! Maybe use that one instead of the house PA?

Maybe FREE pens from a sponsor. I got a box of pens from Marco.

Security never stopped anyone from bringing in water (to my knowledge)

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

More chairs and tables. I don't get why there aren't chairs in every row; everyone needs to sit. Those couches were amazing the one round I was on the stage.
    Water coolers in each row would be nice.
    Better PA system for announcements. It's always so hard to make out.

The reason for the no chairs is because we utilize around 390 machines and have a TD and tech staff of around 20 people at one time. Most people don’t notice because they are playing and watching other players play but we run around like crazies answering the tech lights. Each round is 2:15 long. Whether a game is malfunctioning or a player needs a ruling, I want to say we answer anywhere from 10-40 tech lights a round. The first 2 rounds are the worst as the games haven’t had heavy play in a year. As well as we swap out an average of 3-4 games per round. The chairs would just get in the way.

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have boxes and boxes of pens at the check in desk. They seemed to be scarce.
    Have free bottled water for all the competitors.
    Continue to improve the stream (make sure there’s no chance of glare on the games that are on or off stream)
    That’s really all I can think of. This bad boy is a well oiled machine already.

Every year we start round one with 500+ pens. By round 3 there’s around 100 left.

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Concession contractors HATE free water.

At the Cobo expo center in downtown Detroit, Max from Roumell Catering (The original food service contractor there) would go around with an open end wrench shutting off every water fountain in the place during the auto show to boost beverage sales.

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Security never stopped anyone from bringing in water (to my knowledge)

Security at the airport will....

Seriously though, the logistics of bringing refreshments in for people who arrived via air travel & Uber/Lyft can’t be overlooked. When one has to check in at 0900 and the drink stand doesn’t open until 1100....that’s an issue.

#16 3 months ago

With all the money invested in broadcast technology it would be nice to see the coverage expanded.

A mobile rig that could be moved around during early rounds focusing on random groups would be a great add on but not a necessity. I realize it’s a big area to cover with a wireless signal. Perhaps letting some independent broadcasters participate in early rounds might be a solution?

I have seen other broadcasts with two machines on screen at the same time to double the coverage. This would be an added bonus as the tournament winds down. You could follow two, four player games at the same time.

The one big positive is the commentators were knowledgeable and scheduled to appear. Careful thought and planning could be seen. That tends to be the biggest downfall of other tournament coverage.

#17 3 months ago

I like the idea of streaming random rounds throughout the first two days.

Gives exposure to different games and players and would be interesting to see.

Streaming is a lot of work (I do it myself) so I understand why it might be difficult but it would definitely be fun to follow along on a stream with hopes of possibly seeing a friend or two who is playing on stream.

#18 3 months ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Security at the airport will....
    Seriously though, the logistics of bringing refreshments in for people who arrived via air travel & Uber/Lyft can’t be overlooked. When one has to check in at 0900 and the drink stand doesn’t open until 1100....that’s an issue.

I'd recommend bringing a water bottle to fill up. I use one that has a Brita filter built in which makes the tap water taste pretty decent.

#19 3 months ago

Step 1: Charge more money to enter (lots of demand and pretty sure we will all happily pay it, within reason)
    Step 2: Use that money (NOT for more prizes) but for improvements

This thing is a GREAT event so any comments are just feedback out of love and to make it even better.

More pens. turn that 500+ into 1000+ Guessing a sponsor would be happy to do this? Hell, I would be happy to sponsor this for next year

Better audio/viewing experience. I covered this in the main thread, but the current audio is very bad. I get that the desire is to broadcast the main event to the actual public in attendance, but there must be a better way? Maybe TVs with their own audio on for every 5 rows of chairs. Then groups can better watch and hear the stream. Bonus is not distracting others that are still competing.

Need to fix the issue of bumping people out of a division via restricting others and a hard 200 person limit to each division. Honestly, I am fine with lopsided divisions. If 200 qualify for A and then you have to bump up 20, then it becomes 220. Does not seem right to push others out. The hard reality is that with the current system you could have A restricted players take up about 120/200 spots (top 100 IFPA, plus previous restrictions for past years performances) in A without winning a single point on Thursday. Alternative option is, miss your restriction cut off and you are done after Thursday. I dont particularly like this one, but it is still better then bumping others that earned the spot.

Improve the WIPT to allow for more players (apparently more than 50% waitlist full) and a full playoff. Time constraints stinks so pay for an extra hour or whatever it takes to allow this to expand. Maybe start it earlier?

Figure out how to accommodate more people into Pinburgh. With 1000 and insta sell out, it is needed. Not sure how the heck that happens???

#20 3 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'd recommend bringing a water bottle to fill up. I use one that has a Brita filter built in which makes the tap water taste pretty decent.

Already thought of that and will do that next time........

#21 3 months ago

More chairs around each bank and I thought it was crazy that during the first two rounds of A they had no stream running or link. I also hope they change for next year during A finals as a player hearing them in the commentary booth blasting in your ear was very annoying and distracting. Another thing I think would be nice to see is more pinball supplies for sale in the vendor sections compared to some of the more useless stuff.

#22 3 months ago

For the first two days, the two projector screens on both sides of the stage were either not used or displaying static images/slideshows.

Using them to display metrics about the tournament would be a better utilization of them - e.g. a list of the top X players with the best W/L ratios (overall on day 1, per division on day 2)

Other than that, the event was very well run.

#23 3 months ago

Have screens next to each game on stage like papa used to. In playoffs, going up to a game cold with no practice and with a line we have to stand behind when other players play (which is totally understandable), so we cant see the feeds or bounces from other players makes it difficult, esp on a game we have never played or played a few times in our life.

#24 3 months ago

Amazing show! My only suggestion would be to add signs like this inside/near the bathrooms.
    N269AB (resized).jpg

#25 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneranger:

My only suggestion would be to add signs like this inside/near the bathrooms.[quoted image]

agreed!

I was amazed/disgusted by the amount of dudes full on wang and then leaving without washing their hands.

#26 3 months ago

I tried to watch everyone like a hawk while I was going to the restroom. Luckily i didn’t notice anyone skip washing their hands.

#27 3 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I tried to watch everyone like a hawk while I was going to the restroom. Luckily i didn’t notice anyone skip washing their hands.

now we know who the creeper was hanging out and peaking over the dividers...

#28 3 months ago

Let me in!

#29 3 months ago

A possible fun suggestion would be to have a couple of banks streaming live full time, throughout the tournament. Players of any caliber would get a shot at some limelight since the banks are randomized, a chance to crush it or not crush it but to be able to say they played live in front of an audience at a world championship event.

#30 3 months ago

Ah I see we are following the Pinside Credo: Why have one thread when two will do?

So again...

The video game side has amazing lighting, lasers, music, etc. It's a real Magfest style party.

Walk a few dozen yards over to the pinball side and it seems like a swap meet. Just flourescent lighting, no music, no lasers, no nothing.

It makes pinball seem lame and staid in comparison, and doesn't do anything to draw younger people over or create a fun environment. After the tournament is over Friday night, it would be cool to see the pinball side match the atmosphere of the arcade side. They did at least dim the lights at one point on Saturday I believe, but it could be so much more immersive.

The tournament itself is great but I'd like to see more production improvements for the Finals. Bring back the confetti...add some pyro..some music...some lasers...some announcements...some excitement. I'd also put a large screen in the back of the convention center showing the stream (arcade side) so that people know a hundred yards away there is a world-class pinball tournament they could come check out. The sound was better this year and I assume will continue to improve, but the lighting should also get a look at. It's too bright in the tournament finals staging area, not only makes it look staid, but washes out the projection screens, which otherwise would present really well. Better (more dramatic) lighting of the stage would also be befitting of a World Championship pinball finals.

All this stuff would elevate the pinball side of the show, in a big way, budget permitting.

#31 3 months ago

Those bathrooms were a DISASTER! Obviously a convention center issue and not a Replay issue, but their condition all weekend was inexcusable.

#32 3 months ago
    Quoted from wmanningiv:

Those bathrooms were a DISASTER! Obviously a convention center issue and not a Replay issue, but their condition all weekend was inexcusable.

I must have been lucky. I thought they were fine. Always had TP and towels, toilets and urinals clean.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 7,700.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Test item Out of stock
    Pinside Shop
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.50
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside