Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by sneakerpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

(taken from another thread)

It is clear that the Top100 has become irrelevant within our community. It needs an overhaul. Here are my suggestions. What do you think?

1. Reset the rankings from scratch
    2. Everyone create a list ranking all the games you have ever played. Best to worst. Mix modern in with SS and EMs. Create one big list. No complex scoring systems, just a list. Could be a drag-and-drop system created. Still include (optional and encouraged) comments.
    3. Games would get points for being ranked highly. Perhaps higher value would be applied for larger lists, which would encourage people to rank a lot of games. (#1 on a list of 300 is more valuable than #1 on a list of 10)
    4. There would be a master list created, from which simple check boxes could be used to specify which you want to view: EMs, SS, manufacturers, decades, whatever.

This would solve multiple issues with the ranking system.
    - Increased interest, relevance
    - Refresh a stale system, get rid of old votes from non-active members
    - A LOT more "voting" because it wouldn't take 15 minutes to do a single rating.
    - It would help keep track of what games you have played, and which you need to be looking for. This could be fun.
    - I would expect there would be a lot more votes for EMs

#2 7 years ago

Am I the only one who doesn't really give to much thought or care what the Top 100 is? I collect and play to have fun. What's fun for me, may or may not be fun for you. I certainly don't need a "list" to tell me that.

#3 7 years ago

Some need to be told what to like..........Joey

#4 7 years ago

The ranking system is not intended to tell you what games you should enjoy. Of course. It's just for fun.

#5 7 years ago

It would be better to get rid of it altogether as opposed to tweaking it. For all intents and purposes, it reflects what the general pinball playing public likes.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

2. Everyone create a list ranking all the games you have ever played. Best to worst. Mix modern in with SS and EMs. Create one big list. No complex scoring systems, just a list. Could be a drag-and-drop system created. Still include (optional and encouraged) comments.

I have played over 1200 different titles. Ranking them all in a list would be hard. I applaud the idea though.

#7 7 years ago

Why get rid of it? What harm is it doing? It's obviously broken, opinions range from apathy to hatred. Few people seem to be enjoying it.

I say let's alter it, see if it can become more interesting and fun.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I have played over 1200 different titles. Ranking them all in a list would be hard. I applaud the idea though.

I guess you could just rank the ones you think are best. Even your top 20 would be interesting. Few of us have played anywhere near that many.

#9 7 years ago

The OP's idea is an interesting alternative, I like the drag and drop concept.

Truth be told, I don't mind the current ranking system with the exception of that every version of the game (Pro, Prem/LE, Vault, probably SLE now) gets its own rank. Couldn't there be a sub-ranking for all these different versions? Of course, this horse has been beat to death...

#10 7 years ago

I agree, that horse is long dead, but I would add to my recommendations...

#5 Gather all versions of a game under one heading. Discussions of the various versions can occur within the comments section.

1 week later
    #11 7 years ago

The ranking system needs to add weighting...

SCENARIO:
    Ooooh Ahhhh a shiny new pinball machine comes out, 20 people play it, it's the most AMAZING (new) pinball, EVER... now 15 rank it as all 9's and 5 review it. Great. Now it's the number 5 pinball of ALL TIME...

Come on, man.

Am I wrong with where I'm going here?

If a table has 400 rankings of 8.5 average, it should rank higher than 20 of 9, simply because people actually PLAY the older machine!

End of rant

#12 7 years ago

I like the list just the way it is. Completely off my radar.

#13 7 years ago

Oh, and one more thing, these LE/PRO rankings are KILLING the top 100

At the very least, let's have a control widget to merge the multi-version tables into one. That way, the user can decide whether or not if they want to see 15 extra spots in the precious top 100 being taken up by nearly the EXACT SAME machine, save the extra music, shaker motor or EPROM code modification...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-for-new-ranking-system and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.