(Topic ID: 218861)

Suggestions for first time playfield strip?

By topkat

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jgel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I picked up and f14 tomcat that had mylar ontop of raised decals, and it was unplayable. Ball couldn't go in a straight line. I removed all the mylar and adhesive and now need to wax it. I figure I might as well take off all the plastics and ramps, clean them well and that way all the posts don't have any more wax on them. I plan on allot of photos and labled bags.. is there anything else someone rec's so that it turns out well, and not a major headache as well?
thanks

#2 5 years ago

In addition to photos and labels, I punch holes in pieces of cardboard and, after cleaning and polishing, insert posts & hardware in the same locations they were removed from the playfield, making drawings and notes on the cardboard so I know exactly where everything goes back.

#3 5 years ago

It's absolutely impossible to take too many pictures.

#4 5 years ago

My last playfield swap I took 1000 pictures and in the end I actually needed one. You can always delete them.

#5 5 years ago

Photos photos photos.

Before you begin, take a series of photos of the playfield top to bottom on both sides as a reference in case you miss something later or need to see how something was originally assembled.

Take photos from different angles--above, below, and sides.

Take photos of where wires connect in case they snap off.

When you think you have enough photos, take a couple more just in case.

Every time you remove a screw or part, take a photo.

Be sure to back up your photos to a second device or location, especially every time you take a break. I usually copy them to a computer. So, if something happens to your phone/camera, you don't lose anything.

#6 5 years ago

Make sure you have enough SPACE! I set up a second table next to the one holding the playfield, and lay the parts in the same spot where they came from. I like the cardboard idea I read above even better. However, when you're polishing the parts (I put mine in a tumbler frequently), you can't do this. so take pictures. Take more pictures, take more more more. I took about 300 pictures at my last swap, and still had to find some online for reference. Thank goodness I found some.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I picked up and f14 tomcat that had mylar ontop of raised decals, and it was unplayable. Ball couldn't go in a straight line. I removed all the mylar and adhesive and now need to wax it. I figure I might as well take off all the plastics and ramps, clean them well and that way all the posts don't have any more wax on them. I plan on allot of photos and labled bags.. is there anything else someone rec's so that it turns out well, and not a major headache as well?
thanks

Since you are going to do all of that, consider replacing all of the plastic star posts with brand new ones, replace all of the rubber (I like Titan, but whatever), and assume you will also find missing or broken posts, or nuts or other stuff as you go.

RussM

#8 5 years ago

It looks like I'm in the minority since I take very few pictures, especially if I'm just stripping the top of the playfield (as opposed to a playfield swap). I take parts off in small sections and put them in the resealable bags I get from my PBL orders. If it isn't obvious where the parts go (different length posts, etc.), I draw a little diagram or make notes to help me later and put it in the bag.

I also line up the parts in the order I remove them, which helps with games with overlapping ramps, etc.

#9 5 years ago

When you are done putting it back together save all of the parts/pieces that you have left over. You might want them later...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-for-first-time-playfield-strip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.