Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

anybody have good suggestions for making a stencil. I am helping my brother in law out with his Whirlwind and he has the older speakers with the Williams W that need to get repainted. I was able to scan and cut the W out but regular computer paper would never work for making a stencil. What do some of you guys use

#2 1 year ago

I'd look into art supply stencil material.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Ask tomtest here on Pinside. He recently made his own stencils for a Torch pinball cabinet. Nice work.

#4 1 year ago

If you have access to a vinyl cutter use that with vinyl paint mask.

Otherwise oilboard is a good choice; even a cereal box can work.

Laser cut MDF also works, use ponoko.com etc.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

If you have access to a vinyl cutter use that with vinyl paint mask.
    Otherwise oilboard is a good choice; even a cereal box can work.
    Laser cut MDF also works, use ponoko.com etc.

Somebody also suggestion getting a screen made up and screen printing them onto the speaker panel too

#7 1 year ago

https://www.grafixarts.com/products/frisket-film/

Like LTG mentioned, available at most art/hobby stores as well as on line.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

https://www.grafixarts.com/products/frisket-film/
    Like LTG mentioned, available at most art/hobby stores as well as on line.

Yessss this is the stuff I was looking for didn’t know the name of it. Went to michaels and asked for stencil material the girl looked at me like I was nuts. Just ordered this stuff off Amazon

#9 1 year ago

Not sure how frisket will work in this case. I believe the typical use is to place frisket over existing artwork and cut out the frisket with an xacto knife or razor blade.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Not sure how frisket will work in this case. I believe the typical use is to place frisket over existing artwork and cut out the frisket with an xacto knife or razor blade.

Isn’t the frisket able to be peeled off and moved

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Isn’t the frisket able to be peeled off and moved

Yes. For your application, repainting the "W" on the speaker panels, I think frisket is just fine for that. The people saying to use different types of hardboard or other kinds of thick material might think you were doing cabinet art. Using the hardboard or other thick materials is good for that because you get that super slight overspray look that is a factory correct finish. But that only really applies to cabs that were painted that way from the factory(i.e. almost all EM's and most pins up into the start of the SS era). B/W started screen printing cabs before WW was made so that's why companies just make replacement decals for them these days.

If you've already redrawn the artwork and can print it out in black(for the high contrast), you can use that to cut out your frisket stencil, then apply it to the grill. If the grills are removable, I'd remove them to make it easier to work on and not have to worry about overspray.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestion-for-making-stencils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.