You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E9141BA2-E637-4A24-BB4C-E2A8C9E538BB (resized).jpeg
20211026_124720 (resized).jpg
20211026_124745 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello, the chime box on my Williams Grand Prix broke and can no longer hold the pin that holds the chime in place. I was wondering what some recommended fixes for this might be? Thank you!

20211026_124720 (resized).jpg20211026_124720 (resized).jpg20211026_124745 (resized).jpg20211026_124745 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Go a little lower and drill a new hole. I like the chime box rebuild kit from PBR for $10

If you need new chime bars they have plates at Lowes etc and you can cut to size. Measurements are on PBR site but they are sold out.

#3 2 years ago

Know any welders?

They should be able to repair that, and then you would just need to drill a new hole.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Know any welders?
They should be able to repair that, and then you would just need to drill a new hole.

I’ve tried using solder and also JB Weld. No luck. I should have thought of the welder idea.

I kept a couple broken choke boxes in the hope of getting some new ones fabricated.

Alberto

#5 2 years ago

thank you guys for the responses, im gonna try these out and see how it goes.

#6 2 years ago

Here is an idea from HowardR about four years ago. I never got around to trying it, but it sounds like it may work.

Instead of welding you could make a piece of sheet metal 1/4 inch wide and an inch or so long. Drill a small hole near one end for the retaining wire, and 2 holes near the other end to screw it to the chime box.

#7 2 years ago

You can always wire a bell in the chimes place using existing wiring. Would sound odd,but just a suggestion.
Small bell for 10 point Large bell for 100.
There should also be complete units available somewhere. Try an parts wanted on mr.pinball

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Instead of welding you could make a piece of sheet metal 1/4 inch wide and an inch or so long. Drill a small hole near one end for the retaining wire, and 2 holes near the other end to screw it to the chime box.

I have done this with success, although I would recommend using something thicker than sheet metal. You could also try riveting the new post: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#chimes

#9 2 years ago
E9141BA2-E637-4A24-BB4C-E2A8C9E538BB (resized).jpegE9141BA2-E637-4A24-BB4C-E2A8C9E538BB (resized).jpeg
#10 2 years ago

Here’s what I hacked, and I mean hacked! Not pretty and I’d like to refine it, but works great and eliminates the need for the retaining wires, which may end up destroying the tabs. As you can see three of the six tabs were destroyed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-chime-unit-hack#post-5542035

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggested-fix-for-broken-chime-box?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.