11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by pinlink
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Suggest similar topics when user attempts to start a new thread”

• Good idea 9 votes
      60%
    • Not necessary 3 votes
      20%
    • There are better options 3 votes
      20%

(15 votes)

#1 11 months ago

TheLaw linked to an old thread from 11 years ago, and I saw this beauty:

Quoted from gweempose:

On some forums I've been on, when you attempt to start a new thread, it automatically shows you past threads with similar titles. I'd love to see something like this implemented on Pinside.

There is such an endless slog of new threads that cover the exact same content. With the explosive user growth of Pinside, this may be an incredibly useful feature to help consolidate and effectively channel engagement on Pinside.

There are many existing topics that have been abandoned and then restarted over the years, things like: price bubbles, what new machine to buy, newbie my hand and tell me what to do, etc.

The old super sticky and directories are constantly ignored. Suggested topics, or at least a feature that will alert a user to similarly named topics when they try starting a new one would absolutely bring about positive growth and a friendly new-user experience. It would alleviate the current trial-by-fire that many receive for re-posting tired, old threads.

I understand that this would take a lot of time and effort, and probably be difficult to implement, it should seriously be considered no matter how long it will take before it gets implemented. robin Martijn

Thanks!

#2 11 months ago

The search engine here is tough for sure but It is difficult for data to self align to a specific topic. I try to get our office to have the subject line a bit more decretive to the job or task. That way when I get lazy and don't enter my email data every day I can search for it without having to make a call the office staff to help me find a particular email subject. But I could spend a little more time doing my job then here on Pinside throughout the day.

#3 11 months ago

The difficulty comes with people who have just come into the hobby, it is fresh, it is exciting, they want to talk pinball, pinball, pinball, and they think that their questions ARE fresh and new
    Me, I am old, been at this for longer than most. But I want to encourage newbies, I want them to be exited about their game, even if it is a HardBody with only half of the lamps working. If they post a question that has been asked a hundred times before, as long as they are engaging with the question, then what is the harm?

#4 11 months ago

Plus 1 to the above post. Let people ask, if it bothers you move along (no ill intent) (no insult intended).

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

alleviate the current trial-by-fire that many receive for re-posting tired, old threads.

I think a better way to alleviate that is punish the people that are jumping on people for bringing up popular subjects again. If they have been here long enough to know it’s a tired, old thread they know they can stfu and Pinside will continue with fewer negative comments.

#6 11 months ago

Pinside does not have a good search engine. Sometimes you just have to ask instead of wasting time and not finding the answer you're looking for.

#7 11 months ago

I think maybe some newbies don't get know about Pinwiki and various other repair guides or maybe find them daunting when they are just trying to figure out why a bulb isn't working.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

TheLaw linked to an old thread from 11 years ago, and I saw this beauty:

There is such an endless slog of new threads that cover the exact same content. With the explosive user growth of Pinside, this may be an incredibly useful feature to help consolidate and effectively channel engagement on Pinside.
    There are many existing topics that have been abandoned and then restarted over the years, things like: price bubbles, what new machine to buy, newbie my hand and tell me what to do, etc.
    The old super sticky and directories are constantly ignored. Suggested topics, or at least a feature that will alert a user to similarly named topics when they try starting a new one would absolutely bring about positive growth and a friendly new-user experience. It would alleviate the current trial-by-fire that many receive for re-posting tired, old threads.
    I understand that this would take a lot of time and effort, and probably be difficult to implement, it should seriously be considered no matter how long it will take before it gets implemented. robin Martijn
    Thanks!

I doubt it would change anything.

Everybody who has ever started a price bubble thread SWEARS they have some brilliant new angle and aren't actually starting yet another price bubble thread.

"No, I'm actually doing a thread about how current pork belly prices affects the pinball market. It's completely different! Just like my Beanie Babies are Just Like Pinball thread from last week."

#9 11 months ago

Has the bubble burst yet? Hahaha

#10 11 months ago

Let people start new threads. Who gives a shit?

I don't understand why people maker it their mission to link similar threads when a new threads pops up, like they're trying to teach the OP a lesson or shame them lol.

Yeah I saw thelaw link to a thread recently that was 11 years old lol!! Dude why do you care if someone wants to start a new thread on a question that was asked a decade ago? That's a much better route than bumping a thread that died years ago. More than likely every question that could be asked related to pinball has been asked here in some way over the many years this site has existed.

If it bothers you sooo much just don't click on it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggest-prior-similar-threads-automatically-when-starting-new-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.