• Latest reply 2 years ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
iphone 12 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Here are my requirements, can anyone suggest a phone?

- Verizon network
- Removable battery
- SD card slot
- Flat screen (no rounded edges, ala Samsung)
- Android

I picked up a S8+ and it's ok... I had a V20 and the fingerprint sensor was much better along with the flat screen (hate the rounded edges). But I have the option to give it to my wife and get something else so open to any thoughts. I don't care if it is new or used/open box/remanu, but probably won't spend more than $500.

#2 4 years ago

Wish I could help, but I've never owned one so I do not have the necessary experience to advise you.

#3 4 years ago

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Does not compute.

#4 4 years ago

Whats a cell phone? Is that like when they put you in jail and you get to make one phone call? Not that I'd know anything about that...

John

#5 4 years ago

Good luck finding anything with a removable battery.

#6 4 years ago

I got a galaxy s5

Fits your requirements lol

#7 4 years ago

Heh... there are a few options I've found but still searching. LG G5 is one option, Nokia 1 plus is another. Motorola has a few but it seems like all the replaceable battery phones are low end now. I don't care about water proof but I've replaced my V20 battery like 3 times (and my wife's too) and there is no way I can keep a phone that I can't replace a battery in. SD card slot I can budge on, I like to keep all my media on my device but it all syncs to Google photos anyhow.

#8 4 years ago

Manufacturers keep removing options. Those are the same things like like. So far, I haven't found a newer phone that hits all those features that isn't already several years old.

External battery packs might be the way to go to get around the lack of a removable battery.

https://thedroidguy.com/best-android-smartphones-with-a-removable-battery-and-microsd-slot-105993

#9 4 years ago

Yeah, I am never really far from a charger so it's not a huge issue for me, but as the phone ages it's going to become one and I can easily plug it in during the day, it's just the thought that the obsolescence is even more built in which kills me. I'd probably still be using my v20 if the headphone jack didn't die and keep it in headphone mode. Tried all the common fixes, but seems like it needs replacing (might do it). So maybe a v40 might be the way to go. I'd hate to give up the $20 battery replacement option, I'm already worried about the S8+ battery situation.

#10 4 years ago

If there are any cell phone repair places in your area, they could probably do a battery replacement for a phone that doesn't have a user-replaceable battery.

If you really like the model you're using, check ebay. There might be some NOS or nice refurbished ones available. I've done that a couple times now.

#11 4 years ago

samsung recently announced a ruggedish mid-ranger with removable battery.. https://www.droid-life.com/2020/01/13/samsungs-galaxy-xcover-pro-499/

but not available for 6 months or so.

#12 4 years ago

I went from the s8 to the s8 active and am very happy. No rounded screen and better battery. Doesn't fit the removable battery criteria though.

#13 4 years ago

On the general phone subject...I use to buy the flagship Verizon/Samsung phone every 2 years, and they seemed to do me well. With the ridiculous price increases for features I don't even use, I decided to jump from flagship model to the bargain Samsung Galaxy A50 when they came to this states this year. This phone has a $300 purchase price, and does everything I need it to do. I realize this phone isn't what you are specifically looking for, but what I am getting at is don't discard the cheaper phones that have the options you want. They may wind up working really well for you, and at a price that won't matter if your battery dies in a couple years.

#14 4 years ago

I use PhoneScoop.com to compare/sort all phone options

#15 4 years ago

Google Pixel 3a here. Pretty awesome phone for $399 or less.

#16 4 years ago

iphone 12 (resized).jpgiphone 12 (resized).jpg

#17 4 years ago

Picked up a v40... battery replacement looks easy enough to do at home. Thanks!

2 years later
#18 2 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I've been buying Samsung Android phones for years. The S22 deals kinda sucked for launch and BestBuy was offering some crazy good deals on the iPhone 13, so I switched. No shi*, I can go 2 days without recharging now and Carplay just works vs. the "great when it works" shi* show that Android Auto was. Apple's migration app sucks balls, but other than that, I'm real pleased with the iPhone 13.

1 week later
#19 2 years ago

I had an original iphone and I just am not enough of an apple fanboy to deal with an iphone. I had to switch to macbook a while back for a client so I've been using that and am ok with it (aside from price) but still like Android. I went with a Note 11 or whatever the latest was at the time. It's good for what it is. The Samsung/ATT software bloat is shitty but I think that's all carriers now.

#20 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#21 2 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I had an original iphone and I just am not enough of an apple fanboy to deal with an iphone. I had to switch to macbook a while back for a client so I've been using that and am ok with it (aside from price) but still like Android. I went with a Note 11 or whatever the latest was at the time. It's good for what it is. The Samsung/ATT software bloat is shitty but I think that's all carriers now.

I like Android just fine. I'm still missing some ways of doing things with it that I have yet to get sorted out on the iPhone. But I didn't charge my iPhone last night. Here it is a little after 5 pm and I'm right at 50% battery. I could never do that with an Android phone. If I plug my Android phone in for Android Auto it's very buggy and it eats battery. You just hope to maintain the current charge %. With Carplay it mostly just works and the charge % actually goes up on a standard USB port. It runs a lot cooler too. Battery life and a great in-car experience are huge for me.

Have any of you found a wireless Carplay adapter that works well? I got my daughter a Motorola MA1 for her Android phone and she has been very happy with it so far, but it seems most of the Carplay stuff is poorly supported Chinese crap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggest-a-cell-phone-?hl=joncbrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.