(Topic ID: 92279)

Sugg: Final machine to compliment Sys11 lineup of a HighSpeed, F-14, Jokerz! ?

By Pac-Fan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by iluvak9
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pac-Fan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've been in video games for 13 years. Still own 24 of them with 18 in the game room and 6 other tucked away. Got a High Speed pin 6 years ago that was a hit. 1 year ago started to branch out and try others. Refurb'd a Vector, but really didn't like it. Tried a friend's Mr. & Ms. Pac-man and really didn't like it (even though I have tons of Pac-related video games and memorabilia). Got a Jokerz! and then a F-14, 6-9 months ago.

I like all 3 of the Sys11 for various reasons. Would be hard to get rid of any, but if I had to pick it would be HS first. (Jokerz is the best shape and like the complexity of the lane change, love the speed and flow of F-14 but PF not in best of shape, HS has been a solid game, good flow, but worst physical shape between PF and plastics, and owned for the longest)

Anyway, I might be able to squeeze in 1 more pin in the gameroom if I move 3 mini video games to storage. Trying to decide what game would be a good complement to these 3 that are wildly different. What else is there that would not replicate what these 3 already have? I can think of things like magnets, (DMD potentially), canons, under PF catches/troughs, ball accelerators, and a *bit* more rules (but not insane amount) as the main "don't have's".

I have tried a friends Whirlwind and like it, didn't care as much for Earthshaker. I tried BigGuns and Police Force and didn't find them as enticing as I thought they'd be. (However, I also tried about 9 games of F-14 on location and didn't care for it until I got mine fixed and working and now really enjoy it.). I have looked at Taxi and Rollergames and Diner online a lot when they've appeared for sale 300 miles away and seem interesting on video but so did Vector

So...any of you Sys11 fans that have played (and like) the 3 I have, have any suggestions as to something to look to finish off a collection for now given what I may be looking for? I have considered the first Data East Simpsons; Sys11 like (copy)/period, as well as a couple early Williams DMD games too, as that would stay in that 1984-1994 ish time period.

Granted here, it's what randomly appears on Craigslist that is worth a 3 1/2 hour drive to Minneapolis for that won't get sold from under you; so it's basically luck and you take what you can get, and on a $1000 +/- game, $450+ in shipping isn't worth it. And I don't have space to overbuy and really dislike selling stuff, so want to be sure I will own it for a while.

#8 9 years ago

I like the look of Taxi, but it also reminds me a bit too much of Jokerz! -- Two wide back arching plastic ramps, the 3 lanes (though are staggered) and 3 centered pop bumpers in back. Though I agree the rest is definitely different with the skill shot and the various catches. But was on my list. I need to go read the multiple "Diner vs. Taxi" threads now, as well as read up on Pinbot. Of course, as mentioned above, it's what appears closest resonably, and likely it won't be any of these.

So far the tally looks like:

Taxi: 5
Pinbot:4
Diner: 2
------------
EATPM: 1
Marverick: 1
Starship Troopers: 1
Black Knight 2K: 1

#14 9 years ago

I looked a Rollergames a few times last year (via video) when a couple popped up in the cities. It definitely has some unique things but almost too much 'noise' in artwork and more dead upper playfield (at least from what I saw other players doing; as compared with my other 3). I definitely like Whirlwind but fear it will be out of reasonable price range, but if one showed up for a good price I'd definitely snatch it up.

I do not care for Funhouse. My wife hates it (Rudy creeps her out), so that one is out of the question. I've glanced at Space Station, should take another look at it. I (and others playing mine) do like Ritchie stuff like the kickback, upper right flipper take or leave it. But yeah, may not want to go overboard in just his stuff, looking for a mix to even things out. RG would get me a magnet (not really used as a save though) and a few interesting things but would definitely repeat stuff I've got in the others.

Thanks for the lists and the additional feedback. It is solidifying what I kinda already knew! Oh yeah, one key thing--must have a multi-ball mode; everyone loves that! Jokerz is easy, F-14 is pretty easy, HighSpeed is quite hard (for newbies) to get multi ball. Updated tally:

Taxi: 6
Pinbot:6
Diner: 2
Whirlwind: 2
------------
Rollergames: 1
Space Station: 1
Funhouse: 1
Swords of Fury: 1
EATPM: 1
Black Knight 2K: 1

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

OP original post implies doesn't have to be a Sys 11, seems he wants something with a similar "staying power", similar rules/depth, but maybe something a little different to get some variety. I think an entry level DMD is a great option, in addition to the higher regarded Sys 11 titles.

Exactly, thanks for re-clarifying Wayout! Funhouse is a fair "compliment" even if WPC. I indicated looking for something to compliment (and not replicate) my 3 Sys11 games. I deeply enjoy the Sys11 games and so long as something newer even in WPC or Bally labeled stuff feel like a Sys11 or better, then it is fair game.

I just know I won't be able to justify a late 90's DMD both by cost and overall 'too much' feel of toys, rules, complexity (I don't care for things like TAF, WhoDoneIt, TwighlightZone and the like. However, I'd be open to an early DMD -- something that doesn't *rely* on the DMD but augments the game more than the alpha numerics could. But not sure if you can find Sys11 greatness with an early DMD in the WPC line.

So feel free to continue to throw up any early DMD game as well that adds and not detracts from the feel of the others Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Looks like Pinbot is leading with Taxi and Diner now neck and neck behind.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I noticed the OP mentions they are not a fan of Whirlwind.

Nope, I do like it:

Quoted from Pac-Fan:I have tried a friends Whirlwind and like it, didn't care as much for Earthshaker.

Though I realize it will probably be the most expensive. There is something about it that makes it feel different than other Sys11. Not being so balanced on the playfield, more like FH, where F14/Taxi/Jokerz is definitely mirror images left to right.

Looks like the current tally (though hard to keep straight with multiple answers from same person ) is this, where WW came up from behind, and Pinbot took a fall.

Taxi: 9
Whirlwind: 8
Pinbot:5
Diner: 5
Funhouse: 3
Black Knight 2K: 3
EATPM: 2
Mousin Around: 2
EarthShaker: 2
Rollergames: 2
Space Station: 2
------------
Swords of Fury: 1
Radical: 1
Time Machine: 1
T2: 1
Grand Lizard: 1
Transformer The Rescue: 1

Thanks everyone. You have pretty much came up with what I thought was my plan. I think Taxi will be a bit too basic/close to my Jokerz in some aspects, especially compared to WW. Pinbot looked different, (but so did Vector and was disappointed there). Diner has some neat stuff but I think it's way too busy, and for nearly typically equal price, WW would be the better buy. FH definitely off the list due to dislike from family. Feel free to provide any other tips!

1 week later
#35 9 years ago

Yeah, earlier I mentioned that it felt similar with the wide arches and the 3 lanes with the lane change function and the 3 centered pops. That was a lot of similarity at the top of the playfield, and clearly was closest to Jokerz over anything F14/HS has. Right now all 3 of mine don't look anything similar: Different # of flipers, different ball delivery point, different upper levels, different pop placement, different # of multi-balls, kicker vs. no kicker, etc...

I realize Sys11 is always going to be simpler than later DMD, but I don't want "extremely basic" that say EM or early SS gives. I want something that can be easily taught to a child for the rules, fun to play above all, but hard to master. (my 7 yr old learned F14 rules in just a few days and actually is quite good, 1-3 million games commonly enough, I only range 2-5 on EX Easy settings). If he can learn them, then friends over on game nites can as well.

I know Taxi and WW would be on top of my list, but if the opportunity for a good enough deal on almost any Sys11 shows up I'd take it. (e.g. Rollergames, Pinbot, Earthshaker, Space Station, Diner, even lowly Millionaire if cheap enough) I was just curious about what I'd be willing to spend more on / be more actively looking for to make a set of 4 until I get more room for others in the future.

Thanks for the continued feedback. For sure I will load up Taxi on VirtualPin and do some playing and get a feel instead of just watching videos. (Though Vector felt like a good game emulated but much much harder on a real table).

PS: One interesting thing I looked at was comparing the # of actual switch matrix assigned switches some of the Sys11 games have over others. F14 uses all 64 of them, Jokerz! is 56 of them (8 unused) same as Whirlwind, High Speed is 52 (12 unused) and Taxi is way down almost at the bottom with only 43 used (21 unused). So, one wonders why Taxi is such a good game with significantly fewer scoring targets / ball positioning sensors than the others have? I realize switches <> good game, but just an interesting observation. (in otherwords -- great rules, building on previous shots make a better game not just targets apparently)

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Taxi's ramps can be reliably combo'd where Jokerz dumps the ball in the lanes/pops everytime.

Thanks for pointing that out. That is something I love about F-14--looping the loop with the upper flippers to increase the multiplier, and same thing with High Speed, doing a long loop from the bottom flippers around and after 5 times ready to get the free ball.

Quoted from mof:

That is very interesting info.

Here's the whole list in case you're interested. Pulled from the manuals, think I counted correctly:

Switches Switch % Game
69 107.8% Banzai Run * (Two playfields, relay switched matrix, theoretically allows up to 128 inputs)
64 100.0% F-14
60 93.8% Millionaire
59 92.2% Fire, Riverboat, Space Station
57 89.1% Bugs Bunny, Mousin Around
56 87.5% Big Guns, BK 2K, Jokerz!, Whirlwind
55 85.9% Dr. Dude
53 82.8% Pinbot
52 81.3% Elvira, Earthshaker, High Speed, Rollergames,
50 78.1% Cyclone
49 76.6% Police Force, Road Kings, Swords of Fury
47 73.4% Gameshow, Grand Lizard, Radical
46 71.9% Diner
45 70.3% Pool Sharks
44 68.8% Bad Cats
43 67.2% Taxi
41 64.1% Transporter

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Francisco, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pac-Fan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sugg-final-machine-to-compliment-sys11-lineup-of-a-highspeed-f-14-jokerz?tu=Pac-Fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.