Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I am new to troubleshooting pinball machines although I have played for many years.

I bought a refurbished 8Ball Deluxe off this site about 3 months ago. Very nice looking machine but having some issues.

Most recently, suddenly my 4 score displays do not light up at all. neither does the fifth display --which is for ball in play and credits.

the machine will still play, you just dont know the score or ball in play.

My manual suggested maybe it was an issue with the MPU board and that it should be replaced? However, I had an extra MPU board that the seller sent me as we trouble shot some other issues previously. When i used this replacement board --problem with displays still persists. So i dont think it is the MPU board.

I emailed the seller for advise and was told to find a local pinball repair guy to help me. As i am still paying for this machine, I really dont have extra money now to find a repair guy.

Anyone have any advice on possible fixes for this issue? Anything I can get is appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

The first thing I would check is every fuse in the machine. Take them out one by one and test continuity.

Pinball Life has replacements.

#3 3 years ago

Ok. I have not done that yet, but i will do that. Great idea.

Is Pinball Life a website?

#4 3 years ago

Pull the connectors off the back of each display and the main display board. My Six Million Dollar Man did the same thing. It fixed my issue. Here is a picture of the one I think it’s been awhile but pretty sure the issue was here. I think it was the long connector on the bottom

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

OK. thanks Gents. I will try both.

#6 3 years ago

Please do this with the game off. If you grab a display connector with the game on it could shock the piss out of you. These things are powerful! No joke

#7 3 years ago

Your Rectifier board with the fuses will be inside the cabinet, under the playfield.

#8 3 years ago

Good call I forgot to mention that important safety tip.

#9 3 years ago

Check the fuse on the solenoid driver board

#10 3 years ago

If fuses check out and the above procedures don't work, you might check your power supply. Check for voltage at your display connectors. My Whirlwind displays went out suddenly a few weeks ago and it was the high voltage area of the board. I ended up just getting a new Rottendog power supply because it was the same price as getting the old power supply fixed.

#11 3 years ago

Wow...you guys are the best.

Thank you very much.

I will try all of those things ---and with some luck maybe something easy like a fuse!

If anyone else has any other ideas let me know.

#12 3 years ago

Get out your Multimeter and check your voltages coming ....well obviously just change the bad fuse first ....to your rectifier board. Should be test point 2 I think on that board....somewhere around 220v.

#13 3 years ago

Yep...that is all it was ---fuse on solenoid driver board was blown.

Replaced fuse and all good again.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from dsupica:

Replaced fuse and all good again.

They usually blow for a reason. Might be wise to educate yourself on that circuit in case repair is needed in the near future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suddenly-none-of-my-displays-are-working-on-my-8-ball-deluxe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.