Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinzrfun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FLFOFuseblock2 (resized).jpg
    FLFOFuseblock2 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.59.22 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.59.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.54.44 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.55.43 AM (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Bally Flip-Flop functioning well. For the most part the game sits inactive but always illuminated ready for play. Power always on whether playing or not. All lights on playfield, in backbox, and on coin door were working fine. Today I was stunned to see that at some point ALL the back box lights and the coin door lights were off. I managed to play a game normally and everything else in the backbox worked normal. Score wheels turned, game played fine. But not one single light anywhere in the back box was lit. Naturally, I figured it had to be the 15 amp fuse for the backbox must have spontaneously blown. I replaced the fuse twice but no change. Still no lights in the backbox nor the coin door. I have done nothing to the machine for nearly a year. It has just been sitting. All Jones plugs secure. Nothing unusual electrically in the house. I have schematics. Any ideas? Thanks! PERPLEXED!

#2 1 year ago

Check the LOCK RELAY and GAME OVER RELAY. The switches may need to be cleaned and adjusted.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.55.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.55.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.54.44 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.54.44 AM (resized).png
    #3 1 year ago

You can check the wire colors. There is a code to decipher the numbers; some colors are printed as words on the schematic and some as numbers.

Another possibility is an interruption at the Jones plugs, which may need to be removed and cleaned. If a general cleaning doesn't help track down the individual wires by color number.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.59.00 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.59.00 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.59.22 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.59.22 AM (resized).png
    #4 1 year ago

You could, with the game on, use a non-conductive point (wooden BBQ skewer, etc) to push the switch leafs together and see if the lights come on. For instance at the lock relay push the blade with the BLU-R (21) Blue-Red wire and BLU (20) Blue wire together. If not responsive try the next one on the schematic.

#5 1 year ago

If all the fuse holders haven’t been changed yet I would advise to do so.

#6 1 year ago

While you're waiting for new fuse holders, clip one end of a jumper wire to the wire leading into the fuse, then tap the jumper wire on the other side's fuse wire. Lights come on?

#7 1 year ago

Thanks. I will give all that a go today. Can these things occur with the machine sitting idle?

#8 1 year ago

Apparently they can. I’ve had machines that have worked for years and suddenly something is wrong. I’ve tracked it down to a switch that no longer makes contact when it should. And nothing was worked on in the area, it just drifted off. Got me why switches do that.

I can see why a switch on a playfield goes wrong - new rubbers on a slingshot can close a switch erroneously, or when waxing the cloth snags a switch. But deep inside the motor board relays that no one has touched?

#9 1 year ago

Easy stuff first. I'd re-seat the backbox jones plugs. Then check the fuse holders.

1 week later
    #10 1 year ago

Went through the steps offered above. Still no backbox nor coin door lights. I've uploaded an image of the fuses block. I did notice the blue wire connectors to the Backcox lights fuse have become blackened. Don't know significance. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

FLFOFuseblock2 (resized).jpgFLFOFuseblock2 (resized).jpg
    #11 1 year ago
    Quoted from flopflip:

Went through the steps offered above. Still no backbox nor coin door lights. I've uploaded an image of the fuses block. I did notice the blue wire connectors to the Backcox lights fuse have become blackened. Don't know significance. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
    [quoted image]

I would replace the burnt connectors

#12 1 year ago

Could that prevent the current from flowing?

#13 1 year ago

Correction, The chared connectors are on the Playfield lights fuse and are functioning normal. The fuse to the right is the Backbox Lights fuse which is not functioning. I clarified in the new image.

FLFOFuseblock2 (resized).jpgFLFOFuseblock2 (resized).jpg
    #14 1 year ago

SOLVED. I cut down the two very freyed wires attached to the Backbox Lights fuse at the top of the fuse block and attached them to a new wire connector. Now the all the lights work on Backbox and the coin door. Thanks for your help!

#15 1 year ago

Good job!

Thanks for following up w the solution.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suddenly-no-backlights-?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.