(Topic ID: 215307)

Suddenly getting airballs - ideas of the cause?

By Fezmid

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So this is probably a dumb question, but I couldn't find another thread on it so figured I'd ask here and hope for the best... Don't laugh at me too hard.

I haven't made any changes to my MET Pre in about 4 months (that's when I last cleaned/waxed it). When I was playing last night, I started getting a bunch of airballs - including two that bounced off of the right bumper and hit the glass! It wasn't confined to that though - I hit a post by a ramp once, and it jumped up and flew up, and I hit something else once and also got an air ball. All of this in 2-3 games.

It was late, so I didn't have time to investigate at all, but I figured there'd be a thread about common causes -- unfortunately, I couldn't find one.

So is this just an indication that I waited too long before waxing again (been a few hundred plays in that time)? Should I look at the balls? Are the rubbers getting worn? Or just a coincidence? Just looking for what I should be focusing on, although I'll look at all of it I'm sure.

Thanks all!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Waxing would generally make airballs worse as their is more speed with the ball and new rubbers do the same as their is more bounce.
What exactly is causing the air balls? Is it the stand-up targets or the post with mini rubbers on them?
Mini-rubbers - Check to make sure they are still at the proper height. Sometimes they can work their way down a bit which will cause airballs.
Mini-targets - Depending on the number of plays the foam behind the target could be getting old thus allowing them to lean back more when hit which will also cause an airball.

Good to know, thanks!

From what I can tell, I was getting airballs in the following locations:
1) Right bumper -- maybe the rubber lowered, so I should look and raise it back up if possible as it happened twice here
2) Near right ramp -- didn't hit the ramp well, and it bounced up and to the left; it's possible I hit the pick target, not sure. I suppose based on what you said, it could be the flipper rubber that's nudged down somewhat and giving the ball a little air when I shoot, and then when it hits a target, it flies up even higher? Maybe that's the first place I should look?

Can't remember the other location I had one...

When you say "mini targets," what are you referring to? I didn't realize there was foam anywhere (constantly learning).

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Those are the pick targets. Their should be black foam behind them which helps absorb the hit on the target and also limit its travel back.
If you are talking about a pop bumper that can't be adjusted and will happen from time to time.

Oh, cool, I'll have to look at the pick targets a little closer. I didn't realize there was foam there, so I'll see if something seems off with the one versus the other three. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suddenly-getting-airballs-ideas-of-the-cause?tu=Fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.