Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Heretic_9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
    underpants-gnomes.jpg
    route3.jpg
    route2.jpg
    route1.jpg
    IMG_4791.JPG
    IMG_4790.JPG
    IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4793.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4789.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heretic_9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

Good idea! There are a bunch of good "new" operators. Bobby C up in Washington comes to mind first for me...good guy, nice games, hard worker, engaged in maintaining a healthy local community.

Molly,

I lived in L.A. for something in excess of three decades. Really sorry your scene was not underway until after I'd left, or I likely would've become a regular. The situation was highly variable -- had to travel all over, in search of decently maintained games that wouldn't pick the player's pocket. Even at a "premiere" route location like Pinz in the Valley, it wasn't until about the last couple years of my being a resident that the OP (Area Amusements, I think ?) was taking *prompt* and really good care of the tables there. (And they damn well should, at 75 cents a game !)

I like to think I'm a dedicated player, regularly driving as much as half an hour each way to play a favorite route pin. And half an hour at a speed of mostly 65 takes you a lot farther away than is possible around metro L.A. I don't mind springing for the gas and doing that, provided the game is working o.k. once I get there.

Wherever you are -- if there are still routes around -- you'll probably run into the full gamut of types of OPs. We're lucky here to have a couple of Collector - Operators. One has something like 90 tables spread around 2.5 counties, and reportedly a staff to tend to them. Another has a fraction of that, in just a few locations, one of which hosts regular tourneys. In both their cases, I'm sure this is much more a labor of love than a paying proposition. Though there is nothing like the extreme cases of neglect detailed in this thread, encountering seriously malfunctioning games is still a regular occurrence. Sometimes they languish that way for quite some time, despite the problems being reported. These two OPs are certainly among the best. I've met others who apparently couldn't care less. Somewhere in the middle were a couple others who said they were on their way out of the business. One swore he was going to haul a defective table into the shop for repairs, though weeks later this still hasn't happened.

I completely agree with those who've said that the location pinball experience is a vital exposure this hobby and artform probably cannot ever thrive without. The basements of the fortunate few is simply not going to cut it, and it's very hard to replicate what is reported to be going on in the Bay Area.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heretic_9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/such-a-shame-seeing-neglected-games-on-route?tu=Heretic_9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.