Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00749.JPG
StepThree.jpg
StepTwo.jpg
StepOne.jpg
#1 11 years ago

After a week of planning and fearing the worst, I got my game plan together and successfully removed side rails with no noticeable cabinet damage.

Step One shows what the kind folks here suggested doing, and that was mask off underneath the rail. In fear that the tool would mar the cabinet, (Step Two) I inserted waxed playing cards on top of the tape and slid them under the rails as far as they would go and then taped them down. Step Three is pretty self explanatory. I started at the back and inserted the tool on an angle, and shimming it up to sever the tape and continued pushing up until it hit the bottom of the rail. I removed the tool on an outward angle to prevent it from touching the cabinet and washed, rinsed and repeated until it was done.

The first side took about 20 minutes and the second side took less than 10.
Installed the new rails this morning and I'm done...for now

StepOne.jpgStepOne.jpg StepTwo.jpgStepTwo.jpg StepThree.jpgStepThree.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I'm getting ready to do this myself. Thanks for posting how you did it.

How was it getting the old glue/tape off?
What did you use for sticking the new rails on?

#3 11 years ago

Most of the tape came off with the rails. I really didn't have to do much cabinet prep with the exception of removing some peeled cabinet art. Terry at Pinballlife has tape just for this.
Hope that helps.

8 months later
#4 10 years ago

Did remove the siderails for the first time from a Williams' machine. Went easily with just a putty knife, no need for a heatgun. To my surprise did not even need to remove the backbox for the work. Used tape for protecting the cabinet, but did not go for the playing cards. Cleaned the old glue residue with naphta. Now I can really start to plan new armors for my pinballs, yay!

#5 10 years ago

Excellent. Thanks for posting this. I've only done one set (CV), but the existing rails were pretty much falling off already. I'm picking up brass plated rails and lockdown from Mike Chestnut this coming weekend for IJ. This will help me a bit in figuring out how to remove the existing rails. I have never seen this technique yet.

#6 10 years ago

One additional thing I do when removing rails is to use some shims along the way to keep the removed rail from going back down and resticking.

DSC00749.JPGDSC00749.JPG

#7 10 years ago

You guys have some balls! Always wanted to do that just always ended up nicking the artwork and re-decaling

#8 10 years ago

did something similar with my Funhouse....the harder part was cleaning the old tape off of my rails. I hated that....

1 month later
#9 10 years ago

Hmm, I'm in the middle of removing siderails on a Williams' machine. At the end of the rail, there is also a bolt to my surprise, usually the last bolt is not there. How in earth is this bold remove as even with the backbox down I don't seem to find the nut for it?

#10 10 years ago

To answer myself, I would suggest putting a knife between the siderail and the cabinet and using the siderail as a lever to get the nail head come up a bit and then remove the nail with pliers

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

To answer myself, I would suggest putting a knife between the siderail and the cabinet and using the siderail as a lever to get the nail head come up a bit and then remove the nail with pliers

Yep. They are typically not there, but I do see them from time to time. I believe they're always the screw nails, so it should be easy to remove.

#12 10 years ago

Sweet. I'm about to change out the rails on the STTNG we picked up this week.

#13 10 years ago

Can anyone do this without ruining the rail? I was doing a redecal, removed the rails, which were fine, but ended up with so many creases had to buy new rails.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Can anyone do this without ruining the rail? I was doing a redecal, removed the rails, which were fine, but ended up with so many creases had to buy new rails.

Yes. Just never pull on the rail. Use shims to hold it away.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Can anyone do this without ruining the rail?

Some have reported dental floss will do the trick.

Old RGP threads exist on this method.

I'm debating upgrading to either piano wire--or possibly ripping a band-saw blade--and then simply sawing upwards with either, to possibly save the nice stainless rails on my AFM.

Still thinkin'.

#16 10 years ago

I'm scared to do this.

#17 10 years ago

FWIW, the EATPM I pictured above, those removed rails went out for powdercoating.

#18 10 years ago

I just buy new rails, they're cheap.

BTW, IMHO one does not have to do a lot a preparing of the cabinet - just use your other hand as a protection so that they putty knife's handle does not harm the cabinet. And when inserting the new rail, I just make a small marker on the top part of the cabinet trim without using the double-sided tape on the rail at that time to see that the rail's and cabinet's hole align perfectly - its easy to get the rails with the double-sided tape to align after that.

Word of warning though: the process is easy with printed cabinet sides, but they get very difficult if you have new decals and decide the switch the siderails e.g. to have them painted - you have the risk that the new decal will stick in the process to the putty knife and come off when you pull the putty knife away from under the siderail. Happened to me once - I had to exchange those rails extra carefully and fortunately in the end the tear-down pieces of the decal stayed under the siderail and are not visible.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I just buy new rails, they're cheap.

True, however original factory parts in virtually any hobby are generally always of higher quality in terms of fit and finish vs. reproductions--why I personally always prefer to re-use a nice original.

5 years later
#20 4 years ago

Thought I'd resurrect this to ask a related question..

What is the best way to reattach the rails?

You put the double sided tape on - how high up or down on the rail should you put it? i.e. closer/flush with the bottom edge or the top corner bit?

How about alignment when refitting? Rest rail on machine and tape along the bottom so that the rail acts like a hinge, remove the double sided tape mask and lift rail up to attach?

#21 4 years ago

LOL, I've done many removals with nothing more than a steel scraper and a heat gun. Never damaged an inch of the cabinet art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/success-removing-side-rails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.