(Topic ID: 290712)

Subwoofer switch for multiple games

By Mattyk

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6859ADAE-9B9E-426E-8327-F308EB6DF616 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roamin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

If you plan on using both L and R for 3 x 2 pinballs, total of 6, then I suggest you get a device that has independent grounds. If you don't, and plug 2 pinballs at the same time in an input's L and R , then you will be joining the speaker wire of 2 pinballs together and if you didn't wire properly you could be joining one pinball's ground plane to the others output audio signal. Now just like this it might not do anything special, but it might create a ground loop, if the grounds are tied together through the earth ground.. It's just not a great idea. You would still need to make sure that the ground isn't shared at all inside that selector switch.

While searching for your device, I thought I had found the right one, but they differ. Anyways this one seems suitable :

https://solupeak.com/product/solupeak-u31-rca-audio-source-splitter-3-in-1-out-stereo-signal-cable-selector-hifi-rca-passive-switcher-with-signal-lossless-compact-connector-distributor-box/

This one is more expensive, but seems better quality too. One important design feature of this one is that : >>RCA terminal and signal switch are directly soldered on circuit PCB board, no wire is used, *** the left and right channel grounds are separated ***, the aluminum shell for shield, and audio signal lossless

Meaning every jack is totally independant from the others, so it actually gives you a possibility of having 6 pinballs connected to the same subwoofer, if that subwoofer has 2 speaker level inputs.

I am not an audio expert at all (I am an electronics tech for the past 20 years though), so I might be wrong and maybe there aren't any major risks of mixing speaker wires from 2 different pinballs together (it SHOULD be fine if you are correctly using the ground from both machines), but I would really put extra care on that. Don't cheap out on this aspect if it can potentially damage your pins or sub..

#5 3 years ago

I'm curious to which device from Pinnovators is suggested here ? I looked at their products and nothing seems fitting without having to buy multiple things. If it's the PINsmx, then it can't be used alone and requires more kits in each pinball?

Not sure which sub the OP has , but if he has a typical PSW10 , then he can already plug 4 pinballs at one time without needing a switch , because it has 2 pairs of independent speaker level inputs , in which case if he uses the speaker level, he doesn't need anything to convert it to line level like the PINsmx does.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roamin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/subwoofer-switch-for-multiple-games?tu=Roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.