• Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

subway (resized).JPG
image-B101 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tscottn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Picked up a Gottlieb Subway a few days ago at the PPM Annex sale. The game play is pretty straight forward.. Match the yellow and red lights then shoot for the center target to add a ball.. Or, hit all the lighted rollovers to add a ball.. or achieve 3000 or 5000 pts to add a ball.. But once in a while i will get a free ball or two and im not sure how it happened.. Wasent anywhere near the 3k or 5k or did not hit the center target.

Yesterday I was looking at pics on the interweb of the game and came across this article from Cashbox mag from the 60s when the game was introduced.. They reference a "Gottlieb Mystery Special" a few times in the promo.. Im wondering if this is what is happening as it certainly is a mystery how I got a ball added sometimes.. Anyone have a clue? Thanks

PS.. the article references a match feature on the lightbox.. I dont think Subway has a match feature.. at least mine doesn't..And how would a add a ball game have a match feature anyway?
image-B101 (resized).jpgimage-B101 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

The 3,000 and 5,000 I think are selectable (along with maybe other values if you wish) using jumper pegs in the backbox. Mine is only set to 3,000 points for another ball.
It is interesting to note, as I thought something was wrong, when you complete the 4 rollovers at the top and get the added ball, only 2 lanes light up again. For the subsequent extra ball, only the two that are lit need to be completed. I thought there was something wrong but learned that's how it was designed.

Also, on mine the two rollovers switch from yellow to red after the first set are completed and the next ball is in play.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, this is correct. Same with "Cow-Poke" and "Flipper Cowboy". The two which are lighted and unlighted on the subsequent ball is determined by the state of the alternating relay. This also corresponds with which of the two slingshots is lighted for 10 points. If the lighted slingshot doesn't move on every step of the one point score reel, check to see that the alternating unit coil isn't fried. It's a common issue on "Subway", "Hurdy Gurdy", and a few other games because this coil remains energized even in "game over" state depending on the final position of the one point reel (odd or even number).

As far as a awarding extra free balls, I've seen several "Subway" machines do this, especially when completing the top four rollovers. I had one recently which would award multiple extra balls when hitting the lighted center target. I found a motor switch which was not opening (I believe it was on "C" level of the motor),
and resolved both issues by properly adjusting this switch.
If yours is awarding random free balls, that may be another issue entirely, but note if the subway doors open or not when it gives an unearned free ball. Free balls awarded for meeting a score threshhold do not open the doors. Making the top four rollovers or hitting the lighted center target do open the doors. This may be a clue to resolving the issue.

I would check to see if the slingshots alternate with the one point reel. The lighted lanes shouldn't always be the same two after making the four.
If they don't change, your alternating unit coil is probably bad. It's a common thing on "Subway".

thanks for all the great info// I will check as suggested, however I believe the lights are alternating normally.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Does Subway give specials AAB when rolling over the two side lanes when lit, like on CrossTown? I think the game you bought at PPM sale might have been mine that i donated, if it has a repainted generic red white blue CAB?

bingo it was yours!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Does Subway give specials AAB when rolling over the two side lanes when lit, like on CrossTown? I think the game you bought at PPM sale might have been mine that i donated, if it has a repainted generic red white blue CAB?

so were you having this problem as well? I hesitate to call it a problem as I like FBs but I dont think its a normal feature of the machine..

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I bought the game many years ago and maybe played one or two games before it went into storage,
so do not recall any mystery free AABs
[quoted image]
Here is the only photo i could find at present time of the Subway i donated to PPM
with its badly painted generic Red/white/blue CAB

yep thats the one. BTW Im planning a full cab repaint back to original design..

also you mentioned something that I was wondering about.. you asked." Does Subway give specials AAB when rolling over the two side lanes when lit, like on CrossTown" Im not familiar enough with cross town but I know this subway will give free balls every now and then when rolling over the side lane rollovers and I dont think it should.. Just wondering..

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Subway" does not award extra balls for the lighted side lanes. When lit (by making the corresponding top rollover) the score value changes from 10 to 100 points. That's all. It's possible that the person pinwiztom bought the game from in Ohio or another previous owner may have modified it, and Tom didn't notice it because of his limited amount of play on it.

thanks for the info.. you may be right.. I will have to look for mods when I start digging into this machine. any idea where or what to look for with regards to modifications like this?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tscottn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/subway-mystery-special?tu=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.