(Topic ID: 325610)

Subtle difference in microswitches... significance?

By AlexRogan84

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bigehrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5647-12693-11 (resized).jpg
    5647-12693-24 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I am replacing the microswitch under a VUK on my Theatre of Magic and it calls for part # 5647-12693-11. I happen to have a similar switch already in my toolbox that is part # 5647-12693-24. Almost hard to notice the difference when looking at the pics from the Marco site. Same overall length on the lever arm. Only difference is where the end of the arm clips into. One switch is right at the end, and it looks to have both spots possible. The other has the end mounted just in slightly, more directly over the little plunger.

Is there a reason why a switch would need to be one way or the other? Would they operate differently, resistance when pushing on it or how it pushes back up when released?

Again, just asking because I already have the one switch that is almost the same but would need to order the other if I do actually need it.

5647-12693-11 (resized).jpg5647-12693-11 (resized).jpg5647-12693-24 (resized).jpg5647-12693-24 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

The placement of the switch lever on the switch base will affect where the ball engages the switch and can make a difference based on how the switch is mounted to the playfield. Furthermore switches often times have different springs internally which can make a difference in the amount of pressure needed to actuate the switch properly. You may indeed get away with installing the switch you have on hand but if the correct part number is available I would order and install it.

#3 1 year ago

Second one will have significantly more leverage on the switch button so less resistance for whatever is actually activating the lever, but will activate the button a little later in the motion and release it earlier than the first. As mentioned, might not make enough difference to matter.

#4 1 year ago

Terry at Pinballlife once told me "a switch is a very dumb animal". So if you're inclined to, throw it in and see if it works. Worst case, it doesn't and you order the other one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/subtle-difference-in-microswitches-significance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.