(Topic ID: 169953)

Substituting THE POWER BALL in single ball games?

By Chitownpinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

crbl-0001 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hello, I have seen people/venues substitute the power ball in single ball games to change up the gameplay. Maybe the game was getting boring, maybe they just felt like trying it out. Ive always thought it was kind of cool. Have you or any one you know done this to their game? What was your impression of it? Considering it the next time I have a tournament at the house.

crbl-0001 (resized).jpgcrbl-0001 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Bangerjay has a Tron with 4 of them. Game is crazy fast.

#3 7 years ago

I've seen it done for slower EM or solid state games. I've been wondering how it would affect atari games, myself.

#4 7 years ago

I think a lot of people do it as an easy fix for weak flippers

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Bangerjay has a Tron with 4 of them. Game is crazy fast.

WHAT? wow...if that game wasnt hard enough already.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've been wondering how it would affect atari games, myself.

I wonder myself.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think a lot of people do it as an easy fix for weak flippers

LOL, ya maybe. Although, power ball isnt cheap. How much more is a rebuild kit?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

LOL, ya maybe. Although, power ball isnt cheap. How much more is a rebuild kit?

Not sure. But if you're running a tournament and you don't have time to rebuild the flippers, I think it's a clever solution.

#7 7 years ago

I have used the mini "cue ball" in EBD since 1993.

#8 7 years ago

Huh.... Never thought of that.

#9 7 years ago

At "The Sanctum" they have had one in a Bobby Orr Power Play for about two years now. A piece of paper covers the backglass so it says Bobby Orr Power Ball. Pretty funny and makes the game a bit more lively.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I have used the mini "cue ball" in EBD since 1993.

Nice!

#11 7 years ago

I have been contemplating putting "one" in my MET premium to make things a bit interesting. about the only thing that screw the player is not being able to [lock] a ball with the hammer.

of course the graveyard and sparky magnets wouldn't grab the ball, but it also wouldn't prevent the modes from not starting after the appropriate number of hits.

#12 7 years ago

Best place to purchase one?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Best place to purchase one?

$39.
    https://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-TZ12
    This has been the standard *absurd* price going on nearly 20 years.
    $10 cheaper that Marco, though.

Sometimes you can get them around $10-20 used, but I have not seen many lately unless I did some hunting.

If you have connections in the ceramic bearings industry, you can get a whole boxful of 1 1/16" balls for probably the same price.
    I have not checked in a very long time. If you are really creative you can still get other colors by special order (through a machine shop) just like the original sample games that used blue in TZ, before most were removed at the factory during testing. A number of very old owners of TZ have them in their games. I have lighter color blue one in the coin tray inside my machine, but as it was tested it was too damn hard to see the ball in the game, and I removed it.

Keep in mind, if you have a USED Powerball just use some Mother's mag polish, Flitz, or other proper metal cleaner and it will polish up like new on a buffing wheel in less than 10 minutes, unless it is has been severely damaged, and this is rare.
    You do not need a new ball, and if cared for properly are fairly indestructible inside a pinball machine.
    Buying a new one is just being lazy on money people do not need to spend.
    My preference is Mothers or Flitz, as I have used both many times to keep my PBs shiny white, instead of dull grey.

7 months later
    #14 6 years ago

Just watched a Deadflip episode from Logan Hardware where they put a power ball in Woah Nelly. Looks fast!

#15 6 years ago

I have a set of 5 power balls and have tested them in all of my games at one time or another. I usually just add one to a game and sometimes all of them.

Game play action is notable different on all games but not always for the better. They will defiantly make your games play faster and the ball action will be different. Which I happen to like, especially the different bounces and action.

But some of the newer games will often get air balls everywhere and hitting the glass is common. In some games, balls came off the flippers with such velocity and air, I've worried about breaking plastics or toys. In other games that need to be sped up, like EM's or Solid State, they work great and its fun to experiment. If the games have any magnets you can pass on trying them.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I have a set of 5 power balls and have tested them in all of my games at one time or another. I usually just add one to a game and sometimes all of them.
    Game play action is notable different on all games but not always for the better. They will defiantly make your games play faster and the ball action will be different. Which I happen to like, especially the different bounces and action.
    But some of the newer games will often get air balls everywhere and hitting the glass is common. In some games balls came off the flippers with such velocity and air, I've worried about breaking plastics or toys. In other games that need to be sped up, like EM's or SS they work great and its fun to experiment. If the games have any magnets you can pass on trying them.

Dang thats like $250 worth of balls! LOL

#17 6 years ago

I've seen the powerballs installed at tourneys and HATE it!

I don't usually play in tourneys but will enter if there is a game I really want to play in the tourney bank. I want the game to play as it was designed.

#18 6 years ago

GLO-Balls are the same weight as the original Powerballs and have a steel core so work with Game's that have magnets.
    Have them in our CV & they're simply insane !

#19 6 years ago

Put a power ball in my 1970 Williams strike zone, I have it 'dialed in' so it already played pretty fast, it made even this old EM play insanely fast. Fun for a change but took it out after a 3-4 months worth of play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/substituting-the-power-ball-in-single-ball-games?hl=nofearpro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.