(Topic ID: 205739)

Substitute Wiring Harnesses?

By fixintoplay

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

This isn't the first time that a wiring harness with an old "Jones" plug went missing during a restoration. I know there are countless spares somewhere out there that can be modified or repurposed to fit and fulfill another application. (Remaking one from scratch is not an option for me.) So now, I'm hoping to find or adapt a coin door wiring harness for a 1973 Gottlieb Jumping Jack. It has a 10-pin Jones plug with 9 conductors and is probably about 24" long. It connects the coin door to the inside cabinet at the fuse panel. But I'll appreciate any advice or ideas anyone can offer who's been through this before!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

If you don't really care for originality and you're not going to be using the coin mechanisms to start the game or add credits, all you really need for home use is to run a couple of wires from the start button on the door to the appropriate sockets on the female Jones connector. You probably have to jumper the two sockets where the slam switch is supposed to be connected to as well. Refer to the schematic to locate the proper sockets on the connector.
    As long as the zero position switch on the replay unit is jumpered closed, this should allow you to play the machine until you can locate the correct harness, or the original one miraculously turns up.
    I'm currently working on a game where someone cut the three harness connectors going to the head of a two-player game. Forty two wires in all. Not fun!

Thanks jrpinball. Sounds like you've wired a few machines! Originality is not an issue with this project, so your solution makes perfect sense. The coin door is currently void of all parts except two bulb sockets, and of course the schematic doesn't show any jones plugs. So it will involve some brain energy for me to figure out which color wires have to be routed from the empty connector and which ones need to be either joined together or left alone. The replay unit is jumpered.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I suggest two options, re-title your thread "I need a wiring harness w/jones plug for a jumping jack" or post the above in the EM parts thread.

Actually, Pinsider "guru" jrpinball explained that I really don't need a wiring harness, so I posted in the right place! Thanks anyway.

#8 6 years ago

Correct. I meant that bulbs are resident just above the coin door and need connections same area. Door bell buttons are NEVER an option! Aagh!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/substitute-wiring-harnesses?tu=fixintoplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.