Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pezpunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. I love pinball, but I have a question. Are high scores from Pinball Arcade valid when submitting a high score here? I haven't found anything saying they aren't, but I do see that most people have a photo of an actual backglass with their score logs.

#2 7 years ago

nah. The Pinball Arcade plays *much* easier than the real-life machines in almost every case. and even if the virtual table was near-perfect in difficulty, very few (bordering on zero) pinball players would consider a score on a virtual machine as meaning anything anyway.

take Funhouse, for example. on The Pinball Arcade, I can play that game literally indefinitely. i can get the extra ball from the mirror on every single ball. the last time i played it, the game lasted over 2 hours and I had about 300 million points before I got bored and drained. Meanwhile, the Funhouse in my basement, I struggle to break ten million! real-life games are just fundamentally more difficult because the shots and ricochets are far less repeatable and predictable. if you play TPA long enough on any table, you begin to notice the ball behaves EXACTLY the same way on certain shots and bounces every time. in real life, it doesn't work like that.

The Pinball Arcade is great for learning what a lots of different pins are like, learning their layouts and rules and strategies, but mastering a pin on your iPad will not translate to mastering that pin in real life.

on the subject of the high scores posted on Pinside: they are mostly just for fun anyway. it's basically an honor system. there's nothing stopping people from taking off the glass of games they own and bashing switches by hand, other than the fact that it'd be a super pathetic thing to do.

And even if you do decide you trust the scores posted, there is still the fact that scores on different locations of the same game are completely non-comparable anyway. there are far too many variables: whether extra balls are on or off and myriad other custom game settings, the slope, the playfield condition, the outlane posts on many games are adjustable, condition of the flipper mechs, condition and type of rubbers, strength of the pop bumpers and slings ... even microscopic differences in geometry can make one pin play vastly different than another. also, saucers and mystery hole kickouts behave very differently from game to game and can make a huge difference in difficulty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/submitting-high-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.