(Topic ID: 286014)

Sub $100 oscilloscope

By Jason43

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C514C4B3-FCD1-4742-A785-4E58A42F1492 (resized).jpeg
    dso-5102p-a (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I'm in need of an oscilloscope and can't really justify sinking several hundred dollars. Are there any usable oscilloscopes for that price, or are they all garbage? I was looking at something like this:
    ebay.com link: itm

#2 3 years ago

It really depends what you are looking for (#channels, features, etc) but I can’t imagine a scope at that price worth much (unleas a friend is selling you their old one or something).

For the money, this is an awesome scope - (Siglent SDS1104X-E 100Mhz digital oscilloscope 4 channels $500):

https://www.amazon.com/Siglent-SDS1104X-oscilloscope-channels-standard/dp/B0771N1ZF9/ref=sr_1_3

#3 3 years ago

I should follow up on my comment: it could be that a scopemeter provides all you are looking for. I don’t know what you are planning on using it for. To me, if someone needs a scope (vs just a multimeter) they should get a proper one with multiple channels, sampling speed, trigger features, etc. so they can handle whatever comes there way.

#4 3 years ago

I agree that sub $100 is tough for a new one. I have a cheapy ($215) scope that is good enough for anything I've needed in pinball.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RJPXB6Y

#5 3 years ago

Older but top quality scopes are all over the place. Stick to Tektronix
    and you can't go wrong. Have two here I'd be happy to sell you for $100
    that would be fine for pinball. But shipping would be a bear. Look locally,
    especially at ham radio groups as these guys (like me) always have extra
    gear.

There are tiny chinese made scopes pretty cheap but you'd be better
    with a Tek by far.

#6 3 years ago

See if your neighbor has one and steal his. Just don't get caught, otherwise more than $100. Don't ask how I know...

Seriously, I have a Hantek DSO5102P. Dual channel scope and it was about $225. Works for what I needed it for.

dso-5102p-a (resized).jpgdso-5102p-a (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

So at the moment, I'm working on a commodore 64 that has some bad chips and that's what I need it for in the immediate future. I honestly don't know enough to know what additional features I would need in an oscilloscope for future projects.

#8 3 years ago

At a minimum, I would say more than one channel and good trigger features. Being that at this point it sounds like you don’t have much experience with them, is it possible for you to rent one or borrow one to learn more before spending too much? If you aren’t going to use it often, it may become an expensive unused tool... a very cool one, but still unused.

#9 3 years ago

I got this for $146. It won’t do high-speed digital but for pinball and early generation computers I think it will do what you need.

C514C4B3-FCD1-4742-A785-4E58A42F1492 (resized).jpegC514C4B3-FCD1-4742-A785-4E58A42F1492 (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

It comes with two probes and is a snap to use. It also has a lithium ion battery Making it good for field repairs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sub-100-oscilloscope and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.