(Topic ID: 333162)

Stupid question--Could I get electrocuted by my pin?

By raisindot

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JamesBond-Pro-Details-Strobe-30-akjn3f-scaled (resized).jpg
    EuNyMiX (resized).jpeg
    Electrocuted.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 1 year ago

I am an electrical engineer.

Quoted from Bud:

Electrocuted... highly unlikely. Getting shocked… more likely.

It depends on so many variables I would not be so casual with the electrical safety advice.

Quoted from Bud:

There are people that die from home voltage, don’t know official stats, but I’d say it’s a high probability it’s from people working in the electrical panel or with direct line voltage. Not people messing around downstream of a circuit panel that has all kind of breakers like specific circuits and main breakers.

In this context, 110 volts at your wall outlet is exactly the same as 110 volts inside your panel! Even the smallest electrical breaker (15-amp) is absolutely not going to protect you from electrocution. Why? Because current as low as 20 mA (0.02 amps) can stop your heart, and it's going to take 750 times more current to trip a 15-amp breaker. At that point it doesn't matter if you touch a branch circuit at a wall outlet or one side of the split-phase feeding the main breaker in your panel ... it's all the same kind of danger.

And a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) is only going to work under specific circumstances; when some current flows to ground, like when an appliance falls into a bathtub or sink of water. Current flowing through your heart is not going to trip a GFCI unless the current path somehow includes ground.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

Thank you. I wouldn't be standing on the carpet--the pin itself is on the carpet, but I stand on the floor next to it (which is dry). And I always where shoes when I play it.

If you really want peace of mind, have an electrician or electrical expert inspect the main power connection inside your machine... absolutely verify the hot, neutral, and ground wires are connected to the proper locations.

When I got my machine, the hot and neutral were swapped. At any point in time, anyone replacing the cord or plug can easily get this wrong.

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Had a machine that someone swapped the neutral and hot on the transformer.
    Was perfectly fine playing it..until I touched the machine next to it. Then I got blasted

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stupid-question-could-i-get-electrocuted-by-my-pin?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.