(Topic ID: 333162)

Stupid question--Could I get electrocuted by my pin?

By raisindot

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JamesBond-Pro-Details-Strobe-30-akjn3f-scaled (resized).jpg
    EuNyMiX (resized).jpeg
    Electrocuted.jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I'm currently renting a beautiful modern remake of a classic Williams pin. I keep in my basement, on a rug. A couple days ago, a Nor-easter came through, dumping tons of rain outside. Some of the rain seeped through the wall at floor level near the pin, creating little puddles in limited areas of the floor. It's also soaked the rug upon which the pin stands. The floor puddles aren't deep at all, and I've mopped most of them up. The pin itself is not sitting in a puddle (i.e., no water is above the foot, although I assume there's quite a bit of water under the rug). I unplugged the pin before the storm started and the plug is way off the floor. The only place where water touches the pin is on the feet of the metal legs, which are bolted into the wood corners and I assume aren't anywhere close to where electrical connections would be.

My question is: Did I risk electrocution if I plug the pin back in and play in? There's no water anywhere near any electronical components. The plug will never be anywhere near any future puddles. There's no water where I'm standing to play the pin.

Unfortunately, the pin is too heavy for me to move and there's other place I can put it anyway.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

I'm currently renting a beautiful modern remake of a classic Williams pin. I keep in my basement, on a rug. A couple days ago, a Nor-easter came through, dumping tons of rain outside. Some of the rain seeped through the wall at floor level near the pin, creating little puddles in limited areas of the floor. It's also soaked the rug upon which the pin stands. The floor puddles aren't deep at all, and I've mopped most of them up. The pin itself is not sitting in a puddle (i.e., no water is above the foot, although I assume there's quite a bit of water under the rug). I unplugged the pin before the storm started and the plug is way off the floor. The only place where water touches the pin is on the feet of the metal legs, which are bolted into the wood corners and I assume aren't anywhere close to where electrical connections would be.
    My question is: Did I risk electrocution if I plug the pin back in and play in? There's no water anywhere near any electronical components. The plug will never be anywhere near any future puddles. There's no water where I'm standing to play the pin.
    Unfortunately, the pin is too heavy for me to move and there's other place I can put it anyway.

Just to clarify, only the metal legs got wet? The wooden part of the pinball machine, the cabinet and backbox received no water? Should be fine. If you are super paranoid (and you don't have to be) you could wad up a bunch of newspaper and drop it in the cabinet to draw out moisture. If you have an old phone book it would provide the same effect. Leave it overnight then throw the paper out.

#3 1 year ago

Oh hell yes .... work on them unplugged

Electrocuted.jpgElectrocuted.jpg
    #4 1 year ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

If the game has a three prong plug and the outlet and home are wired correctly there is very, very little chance of you getting shocked / electrocuted just playing the game. Assuming you're talking about one of the CGC remakes (MMr, AFMr, CCr, MBr) the odds are even slimer / to non-existent.

#5 1 year ago

Yes, but not simply by plugging in the machine. If there is a short applying voltage to the conductive/metal parts of the cabinet and the metal is not properly grounded you could be electrocuted when you touch it. Especially if you don't have on non-conductive shoes and are standing on wet carpet - doesn't matter if there is a puddle, the wet carpet creates a ground plane. The odds of having a non-grounded short are very small, especially in a modern machine, but why chance it. I'd move the machine with teflon sliders to a dry area, or at least plug it into a ground fault receptacle/extension cord and wear shoes until the carpet dries out.

#6 1 year ago

Absolutely you can be killed by the electricity in your pinball when it's plugged in.

You are in considerable more danger when you are standing in a puddle of water in a basement, making sure you are directly connected to earth ground.

However... the danger is only if there is something (ANYTHING) not right. A plug miswired. A wire that is connecting where it shouldn't be.

The problem is, you won't know for sure that you have every part of your 115V circuit safely wired. Brand new pinballs have had their neutral and hot wires reversed by accident.

Don't fool around here.

The best answer is to have your buddy an electrician check the machine. Your second best answer is to wait until things are dry before plugging things in.

115v kills more people than any other voltage.

"There are old electricians, and there are bold electricians, but there are no old bold electricians."

Don't be bold.

#7 1 year ago

I've been zapped by a few pinball machines that weren't wet...

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redwizard000:

I've been zapped by a few pinball machines that weren't wet...

Me too! And these were machines that I had shopped!

It's easy to miss some previous technician's work-around that now is providing an electrical hazard, even for an experienced pinball tech.

#9 1 year ago

For reference:

EuNyMiX (resized).jpegEuNyMiX (resized).jpeg
    #10 1 year ago

Electrocuted... highly unlikely. Getting shocked… more likely.

There are people that die from home voltage, don’t know official stats, but I’d say it’s a high probability it’s from people working in the electrical panel or with direct line voltage. Not people messing around downstream of a circuit panel that has all kind of breakers like specific circuits and main breakers.

#11 1 year ago

I am an electrical engineer.

Quoted from Bud:

Electrocuted... highly unlikely. Getting shocked… more likely.

It depends on so many variables I would not be so casual with the electrical safety advice.

Quoted from Bud:

There are people that die from home voltage, don’t know official stats, but I’d say it’s a high probability it’s from people working in the electrical panel or with direct line voltage. Not people messing around downstream of a circuit panel that has all kind of breakers like specific circuits and main breakers.

In this context, 110 volts at your wall outlet is exactly the same as 110 volts inside your panel! Even the smallest electrical breaker (15-amp) is absolutely not going to protect you from electrocution. Why? Because current as low as 20 mA (0.02 amps) can stop your heart, and it's going to take 750 times more current to trip a 15-amp breaker. At that point it doesn't matter if you touch a branch circuit at a wall outlet or one side of the split-phase feeding the main breaker in your panel ... it's all the same kind of danger.

And a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) is only going to work under specific circumstances; when some current flows to ground, like when an appliance falls into a bathtub or sink of water. Current flowing through your heart is not going to trip a GFCI unless the current path somehow includes ground.

#12 1 year ago

Had a machine that someone swapped the neutral and hot on the transformer.

Was perfectly fine playing it..until I touched the machine next to it. Then I got blasted

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Yes, but not simply by plugging in the machine. If there is a short applying voltage to the conductive/metal parts of the cabinet and the metal is not properly grounded you could be electrocuted when you touch it. Especially if you don't have on non-conductive shoes and are standing on wet carpet - doesn't matter if there is a puddle, the wet carpet creates a ground plane. The odds of having a non-grounded short are very small, especially in a modern machine, but why chance it. I'd move the machine with teflon sliders to a dry area, or at least plug it into a ground fault receptacle/extension cord and wear shoes until the carpet dries out.

Thank you. I wouldn't be standing on the carpet--the pin itself is on the carpet, but I stand on the floor next to it (which is dry). And I always where shoes when I play it.

#14 1 year ago

Standing in a puddle of water and touching ANY electrical device that's running on 110v is just asking for trouble. Any faults, mistakes in wiring, etc can result in you getting a nasty shock. Move the game somewhere where there is no water. PS Don't even THINK about playing in bare feet!

Also, whoever rented you the machine is not going to be too happy if the legs are in a puddle and have not been dried thoroughly. At the very least, the levelers will rust and need to be replaced, and possibly the legs will rust as well. Additionally, if the room humidity is high enough from standing water, mold inside the machine may occur. The renter's brand new machine might end up a mess. You really need to mitigate the water or move the pin.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

Thank you. I wouldn't be standing on the carpet--the pin itself is on the carpet, but I stand on the floor next to it (which is dry). And I always where shoes when I play it.

If you really want peace of mind, have an electrician or electrical expert inspect the main power connection inside your machine... absolutely verify the hot, neutral, and ground wires are connected to the proper locations.

When I got my machine, the hot and neutral were swapped. At any point in time, anyone replacing the cord or plug can easily get this wrong.

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Had a machine that someone swapped the neutral and hot on the transformer.
    Was perfectly fine playing it..until I touched the machine next to it. Then I got blasted

#16 1 year ago

On the lighter side of things..

.. someone 'could' drop a plugged-in pinball right into your bathtub while you're relaxing.. that'd be shocking!

Then again, you could fall headfirst on a James Bond playfield while cleaning it.. that would leave a mark or could poke an eye out!

A pinball is a dangerous thing, indeed!

JamesBond-Pro-Details-Strobe-30-akjn3f-scaled (resized).jpgJamesBond-Pro-Details-Strobe-30-akjn3f-scaled (resized).jpg
    #17 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

I would not be so casual with the electrical safety advice.

I’m not giving advice, just observation and my experience. I’ve been around electricians my whole life and worked in the field for a bit too. Most of this website is opinions and experiences, this is no different.

Nobody should come to a pinball forum for safety advice. When in doubt, call a professional or just don’t do it. I suppose in this day and age you can’t say anything without some “expert” chiming in giving their opinion on your opinion/observations. I should have prefaced my original post with a caveat: DONT DO IT!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stupid-question-could-i-get-electrocuted-by-my-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.