Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinbub
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5AF625D1-1C76-48D0-8F81-54FC11EF954E (resized).jpeg
    C197677F-69E0-4602-97E2-B71F6E851D5B (resized).jpeg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I saw a similar thread but it was over 5 years old, so I'm making a new one. I thought it could be fun to share braindead moments you've had as it relates to pins.

Mine from last night: I was rebuilding my flippers on my T2 (thanks, Vid!). I got everything put back together and was testing them out, when a screw fell down the playfield and into the bumper. Ooops, where's that from? I couldn't reach it with my fingers, so I went into my tool bag, grabbed the magnet-on-a-stick tool, and got the screw. After reviewing the playfield trying to find where the screw was from, I put the screw aside and started playing T2 again to make sure it worked.

But then things started getting really screwy. Two balls would eject into the shooter lane. The game was randomly lighting things up, gave me an extra ball, and was just generally extremely weird. I thought for sure I screwed something up, somehow, even though I couldn't think of why a flipper rebuild would cause all of these issues.

Then I got a multiball. And saw four balls flying around. What?! There's only supposed to be 3 balls in the machine, where did the 4th one come from?! How would I accidentally have put an extra ball in?

After literally five minutes of racking my brain, it hit me -- the magnet tool had a ball stuck to it. I took the ball off, grabbed the screw, put the screw aside, and since there was a ball in my hand, I just put it in the machine without thinking. Whoops! Now I know what happens when you have an extra ball though. Boneheaded, but at least no long term ramifications.

And I never did find out where that screw was supposed to go....

#2 5 years ago

I adjusted a pop bumper switch with pliers & the power on. Won't do that again.

#3 5 years ago

Dumbest thing was buying the first one....

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

You take that back...Road Kings Rocks...!!!... ............Joey

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

You take that back...Road Kings Rocks...!!!... ............Joey

Joey!!! MY MAN!!!! Been a while.... look what I have and took to the Houston Expo this past weekend:

C197677F-69E0-4602-97E2-B71F6E851D5B (resized).jpegC197677F-69E0-4602-97E2-B71F6E851D5B (resized).jpeg
    #6 5 years ago

I had just bought a Space Shuttle, that I know was in need of some repairs, but it was operational.
    set it up, everything was working, except for some reason I could start a game, WTF did I do wrong?
    After spending 1 1/2 hours trying to figure it out, the game locked up and would no longer boot.
    Went to take it apart to set it off to the side, when F@#$& white plug plugged into the black plug.
    pretty expensive mistake.

#7 5 years ago

Big
    12v in 5v DMD fried

Small
    Put my hand under cabinet for IMDN & SW and under backbox for DI

#8 5 years ago

Sprucing games up for a tournament at the pub where I routed some machines, about 1 hour before tournament starts. Found a broken wire to a switch and flicked it to make sure it was broken. Flick caused a short between voltages and roasted switch matrix. Had to get that pin home for repairs and bring one from home in, with just an hour to do it. I somehow pulled it off.

#9 5 years ago

Honestly - every time I lift the PF and forget to remove the balls and they come crashing.

#10 5 years ago

Noob mistakes...

When I got my first pin (NGG) I was changing bulbs and put a regular bulb in a flasher socket. Playing a game and saw smoke. Bulb completely melted.
    I was having dmd issues. If I pushed on the ribbon cable on the board, the display looked fine. As soon as I took pressure off, it would scramble. I thought it would be a good idea to clip one of those metal binder clips to it to keep pressure on. Worked for a while, then it borked my whole AV board.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Honestly - every time I lift the PF and forget to remove the balls and they come crashing.

I've broken my Taxi plastic that covers the shooter lane about 83 times forgetting it catches the rail and lifting the playfield too fast. I just keep it taped together instead of replacing it because I'm too dumb not to break it again anyway.

#12 5 years ago

Congo was turned on. I was leaning into a cab with the playfeild up and dmd leaning down, I accidentally touched the back of the the dmd to my neck and got the full 120v zap to my neck.

#13 5 years ago

First game I owned was a WCS. Bought an LED kits for $250 instead of buying individual bulbs from comet. On top of that, I removed the entire top side to replace them. I'm mechanically inclined. I remember looking under the playfield and thinking, probably could just unscrew sockets but it was an overwhelming world looking at everything underneath and I already committed to the top side. Took 6 hours with me and a buddy. Now I can LED an entire game in under an hour.

#14 5 years ago

Trying to lift Dialed In by myself to install the back legs. With the backbox up.

Oh, and selling TAF.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Trying to lift Dialed In by myself to install the back legs...

Dialed In is a heavy beast. I did the same with the back legs (backbox folded though) and was temp tattooed with a couple of bruises.

For whatever reason I didn't use my usual stool as an aid / brace.

#16 5 years ago

I replied to a dimple thread once. Does that count?

#17 5 years ago

Had access to an operator's warehouse of dead games 18 years ago. Bought a Bally Mata Hari and Strikes and Spares but passed on a Stern Star Gazer for $350 that had a nice PF & BG but didn't boot.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I replied to a dimple thread once. Does that count?

I just finished reading every post so far in the Beatles confirmation thread! Not sure which is worse......

#19 5 years ago

Working on a WMS Solids N Stripes EM with the playfield propped...albeit incorrectly...jiggled the playfield trying to unscrew the relay bank underneath and the playfield prop stick slid off the playfield resulting in the bottom of the playfield landing on the top of my head...anyone familiar with WMS relay banks of this period know how much weight they add to the playfield’s total weight... I can still feel the pain after 20 years!!!

7 months later
    #20 4 years ago

Spent hours last night on an EM tracing wires, reflowing solder, adjusting/readjusting the advance unit, checking all switches, adjusting score reels to diagnose a buzzing locked on relay.
    I was so consumed with the thought that there was something wrong that I forgot to think about it actually being a hold relay that’s supposed to be on after game start up. Changed the wore out relay and all is well. So stupid!!

#21 4 years ago

When I was doing my first shop out I unknowingly installed wood tapping posts in to threaded T nuts. Whoops.

#22 4 years ago

Played a full 3 ball game on Punchy the Clown....

#23 4 years ago

Put money down on a pre-order. Did it once and will never do it again.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Dupe post

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Apex:

Played a full 3 ball game on Punchy the Clown....

Lol. I actually like shooting the targets in order to get the jackpot on punchy. I wouldn’t own it again unless I got a steal on it but it wasn’t a bad game.

#26 4 years ago

Wait..... does framing this and hanging it up in my house count?

5AF625D1-1C76-48D0-8F81-54FC11EF954E (resized).jpeg5AF625D1-1C76-48D0-8F81-54FC11EF954E (resized).jpeg
    #27 4 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Wait..... does framing this and hanging it up in my house count?[quoted image]

Absolutely not; it's a classic.
    Replacing that with a refake on a Genesis machine would count though

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Absolutely not; it's a classic.
    Replacing that with a refake on a Genesis machine would count though

I can’t upvote this post enough. I replaced this one with an NOS one in my first genesis and have had it framed ever since. I’ve owned it four times and will own it again. I love this translite.

#29 4 years ago

And then I turned around and bought a second one.......didn’t learn after the mistake of buying the first one.

#30 4 years ago

Biggest mistake:

When doing a PF swap, do not force anything. Enlarge holes and do not trust that the CNC holes are wide enough. Never ever force. Because when you get stuck half way and you decide you should have drilled, getting the part out will do considerable damage. Expensive mistakes.

5 months later
    #31 4 years ago

I decided to clean some contact points on my Vector. With the playfield up I decided to start with the flipper switches when the playfield tipped forward and came crashing down on my head. Other than a nice bump, I think my head will be ok. The Vector on the other hand is playing intermittently and rebooting during the first ball. At least I'll have something to do over the holiday season

#32 4 years ago

Today I spent lunch break on a trip over to the Collective space to pull a couple boards and dig some coils out of a bin to fit them with Molex plugs. Took half an hour to chat with my pinball partner-in-crime, and returned to work.

Realized halfway home that I had forgotten to put the parts in the car.

At least they're on the table and ready to go for next time...?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

At least they're on the table and ready to go for next time...?

At least they aren't on a box on the top of your car

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

At least they aren't on a box on the top of your car

Yes, one would generally consider that situation worse.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

I adjusted a pop bumper switch with pliers & the power on. Won't do that again.

Did that too. Good bye U20. Luckily that was the only problem.

#36 4 years ago

I once bought a Metallica LE and a Batman66 pinball machine. I wasn't even on hard drugs at the time.

#37 4 years ago

Opened an account on pinside. Oops

#38 4 years ago

I bought a vector once.

#40 4 years ago

Professional restores were a waste for me. I should've found nice and clean examples and enjoyed them. I found have no need for museum pieces. Never again.

#41 4 years ago

I used a floor jack to hold up my TZ as I changed out a leg. It slipped and my TZ rolled to the floor almost taking me out in the process. Amazingly, we all came out unscathed.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from tlukka:

I used a floor jack to hold up my TZ as I changed out a leg. It slipped and my TZ rolled to the floor almost taking me out in the process. Amazingly, we all came out unscathed.

I had a couple friends moving a TZ a few years ago. They took it out of the truck and set it on a couple of foldable metal saw horses. One of them collapsed and it came down on the top of one of their feet. Broke a number of bones. Six weeks later it hadn't healed correctly and they had to make corrections. Took about 3 months before it was back to normal.

FWIW, the foot belonged to a doctor.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I had a couple friends moving a TZ a few years ago. They took it out of the truck and set it on a couple of foldable metal saw horses. One of them collapsed and it came down on the top of one of their feet. Broke a number of bones. Six weeks later it hadn't healed correctly and they had to make corrections. Took about 3 months before it was back to normal.
    FWIW, the foot belonged to a doctor.

Wow! I was lucky for sure!

#44 4 years ago

Ya, but did the game survive?

1 year later
    #45 2 years ago

I had the bright idea of labeling parts using colored rubber bands with labels tied on it. The idea was great as I know what connects to what based on parts having the same color rubber band.

I know that over time rubber bands dissolve/become brittle but the bands I used already where falling into pieces within a few weeks..

Had a hell of a job finding out what part belongs to what afterwards

#46 2 years ago

My biggest screw up are not buying some pins. Like the Line Drive for $125, Adams Family, $1000
    and MM for $1300. All of these were years ago before prices went nuts. Groan.

#47 2 years ago

Throw a bunch of pinball stuff into the garbage when it wasn't worth anything and nobody wanted it for free. Hindsight is 2021 though.

#48 2 years ago

Tried to troubleshoot a score motor that would run continuously on the first EM (Capt Fantastic) that I ever owned, just added problems. Driving it to New Orleans next weekend for an actual repair by someone who know what they are doing.

#49 2 years ago

I was going to say this

#50 2 years ago

Carrying a pin up cellar stairs on a hot day in sandals. My feet somehow slipped out of the sandals and I slid down the concrete steps on my shins with the pin cab on my thighs: bump, scrape; bump, scratch, etc. Fortunately, it was only an EE, but my shins were not a pretty sight.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stupid-pinball-things-you-ve-done?hl=jjhlh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.